Using DAZ assets to create VR demo

I honestly don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I was wondering if you can use DAZ 3D assets to create a proof of concept demo for a virtual reality game or experience? I know you need to buy specific licenses to use DAZ for video game development, whether free to play or not, but does this rule count for a demo that's never intended to be a final product, but simply meant to show the potential of the project?

Comments

• MadaMada Posts: 1,872

If you're not going to distribute or sell the experience but only use it as a demo for yourself to show selected people what's possible I don't see a problem. Its when you use models and incorporate them into a game or experience that you then sell and make money from where it becomes a grey area and you need to own the right to distribute the models. That said, a lot of the models are very high res and will cause frame rate issues so keep an eye on that. Just my 2 cents, not an official answer from Daz :)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited June 2017

also not expert or official. My take on the issue is if the result you get is merely an image, set of images, or animation, you can do with it as you please, not having to even credit the source(s).

if you distribute *any* geometry, derived or otherwise sourced from any product (this goes for most vendor 3D mesh-products, not just DAZ), you need to get approval or buy the appropriate license for all of the content that has geometry included.

in your case, if the demo is like a VR360 immersive youtube video, and uses DAZ assets for the imagery you should be fine. If your demo is actually doing realtime rendering of 3D mesh assets (from DAZ or other non-free sources), and is going to be distributed in any way, (even only as a sales or demo device), I would bet you have to ask for permission of some kind, even if the license fees are reduced or waived...

I agree with @mada, where 'local' demos to a *controlled* 'personal' audience as POC would probably fine, and virtually impossible to enforce anyway...

(@mada, your avatar is cute! nice job!)

again, not legal, but paying attention for similar reasons.

(anyone legal, please correct/clarify if I'm off-base here.)

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have checked this with the relevant person at Daz 3d. 

As has already been said  if this demo contains any 3d mesh from products sold in the Daz 3d Store and is going to be distributed as a demo, then it will need the relevant license(s) ;- ie a Daz license for Daz Original products and licenses for any PA peoducts.  THose PAs who allow their products to be used in games will have a license in their store.

• Well that answers my question, guess I'm going to have to rethink my plan. Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Chohole for going out of his way to ask someone in charge of DAZ to clarify the specifics.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2017

Her way   and you're welcome.  

Post edited by Chohole on