Orestes Iray HDRI Environment - Triskele Falls - I get nothing!

music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822

Hi All, I just bought this HDRI set here in the store. I installed it properly. The ad page says "One click" and you have the scene and can rotate it. The zip file has five .duf files and is under light presets. Also has the texture folder with .hdr files in it. When I click on the icon to load one of the five there...I get nothing. Just a quick flash of a small popup for the load and then nothing. Still the empty screen. I have tried to open it in my environment>backgrounds section and it loads the huge .hdr file as a backdrop but you can't rotate it or move it in any way, so the files are there. What am I doing wrong? Where is the "one click" it says about? Why is the screen blank? Anyone?

https://www.daz3d.com/orestes-iray-hdri-environment-triskele-falls

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

In order to see the background before rendering I believe you need to be in the Iray preview mode if you want to rotate it and see where you are at.  I don't get a preview unless I am in the preview mode either.  I could be wrong.  He has a thread in the commercial section you could pop over and ask him, he is very good about responing.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

In order to see the background before rendering I believe you need to be in the Iray preview mode if you want to rotate it and see where you are at.  I don't get a preview unless I am in the preview mode either.  I could be wrong.  He has a thread in the commercial section you could pop over and ask him, he is very good about responing.

You are correct, in order to view the HDRI image and rotate/adjust you need to be in preview mode with any HDRI file.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2017

How do I get into preview mode? I don't know how to do that. Why isn't there anything explaining this on the sale page? It is very confusing. 

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822

You are correct, in order to view the HDRI image and rotate/adjust you need to be in preview mode with any HDRI file.

I had Demension Theory's HDRI backgrounds in Daz 4.6 and the icons were the same as this. All you had to do is click the icon and there was the 360 image and you just rotated the screen. No fuss, no muss. NO PREVIEW mode needed. Why not these? It even says "one click" on the sale page.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    music2u4u said:

I had Demension Theory's HDRI backgrounds in Daz 4.6 and the icons were the same as this. All you had to do is click the icon and there was the 360 image and you just rotated the screen. No fuss, no muss. NO PREVIEW mode needed. Why not these? It even says "one click" on the sale page.

that would have been using 3Delight

iray is different, it does not have a geometry dome like uber environment where you can see the texture

what you can do is load a large reference sphere you hide for the render if you want to line up the scene with the image

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Open the AUX Viewport and dock it at the side of the main window, Set it to Iray and use it to see and move the HDRI. When not needed just hide it by clicking on another docked tab. It will always be there for the next time you need it. I use it all the time when setting up renders viewing it as needed.

• GolaMGolaM Posts: 109
    edited June 2017
    music2u4u said:

How do I get into preview mode? I don't know how to do that. Why isn't there anything explaining this on the sale page? It is very confusing. 

Right next to the dropdown where you select the camera for a viewport, there is another dropdown where you select the shading type for that viewport. For me the default there is "texture shaded", a small sphere with a band on it. When you click it, you can select NVIDIA Iray. Thats the iray preview.

iray preview.png
    176 x 275 - 11K
    Post edited by GolaM on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited June 2017

If I switch to Iray preview mode, and all of my scene is rendered as a gray shaded color, what does that mean?

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Ryzen said:

If I switch to Iray preview mode, and all of my scene is rendered as a gray shaded color, what does that mean?

You have to allow it some time to calcute the first time you switch to preview mode for each scene.  This can take a bit, although for me its usually less than 30 seconds.  It depends on how much you have in the scene.  I usually switch back and forth between views simply because the preview mode can slow moving around the viewport by quite a bit if you have a lot going on, or a slower system.

I am going to give Fishtales tip a try next time I render and see how that does. 

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

Caution with the Aux Viewport... it has been my experience if you leave it on nvidia/iray, it will render when NOT THE ACTIVE TAB, too and it was slowing my older/slower machine. But I use this all the time for rotation of the dome too.

Don't forget you can still do a spot render on any part of the main scene... and use TYPED entries to jump. I tend to start at +-60 then 30 then 15.

And then there is https://www.daz3d.com/light-probe-tool a FREE tool for light direction and related!

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    Ryzen said:

You have to allow it some time to calcute the first time you switch to preview mode for each scene.  This can take a bit, although for me its usually less than 30 seconds.  It depends on how much you have in the scene.  I usually switch back and forth between views simply because the preview mode can slow moving around the viewport by quite a bit if you have a lot going on, or a slower system.

I am going to give Fishtales tip a try next time I render and see how that does. 

Ah, I guess I was impatient.  I didn't see anything happening, so I turned it off.  Just tried it again, and it does work, although a bit grainy.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

It is a quick preview not a full reneder.

• I'm having a bit of a similar issue. It loads just fine, and shows up in NVIDIA preview just like all the other HDRIs. But I cannot zoom it, or change its position other than from side to side (cannot adjust view up or down or zoom​). Only the loaded figure zooms and moves up and down, the HDRI will not move. Figure ends up getting cut in half by the 
    HDRI depending on placement.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 792
    JazzyBear said:

Caution with the Aux Viewport... it has been my experience if you leave it on nvidia/iray, it will render when NOT THE ACTIVE TAB, too and it was slowing my older/slower machine. But I use this all the time for rotation of the dome too.

Don't forget you can still do a spot render on any part of the main scene... and use TYPED entries to jump. I tend to start at +-60 then 30 then 15.

And then there is https://www.daz3d.com/light-probe-tool a FREE tool for light direction and related!

Yes, good advice. I found that out early on when I first started playing with Iray. I never use the Aux Viewport and it was auto set to Iray Preview. Switching it to smooth or wire frame took care of the issue.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

If you own this product: https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

That allows you to see the HDR in the normal viewport. It does not look exactly the same as the rendered view, but it helps to rotate into the desired position before trying to render.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

I'm having a bit of a similar issue. It loads just fine, and shows up in NVIDIA preview just like all the other HDRIs. But I cannot zoom it, or change its position other than from side to side (cannot adjust view up or down or zoom​). Only the loaded figure zooms and moves up and down, the HDRI will not move. Figure ends up getting cut in half by the 
    HDRI depending on placement.

In the environment controls of the render tab, you can change the dome orientation of the HDRI dome - rotate it, tilt it, change scale.

But note that you can't really zoom into a HDRI, because it will always be like a sort of infinite background. You don't get closer no matter how much you zoom.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Unfortunately you have to use IRAY preview mode to see the HDRIs. And then oftentimes it must be loaded before you load the rest of your scene. I’ve found often if I build a scene and add the hdri later the hdri will not be visible in preview.