Rock Shader for DAZ Studio - Just getting shiny blobs :(

Hi, I have Rock Shader for DAZ Studio but I can't get a basic rock to render. I've reset everything to default. Here's what I'm doing:

-Create new primitve, edit, object, geometery, convert to sub-d
-Select the object, go to surfaces tab, select the object 
-Select Rockshader in content, choose !rock shader base. (I can see the color of the frame change slightly)

I've tried following what's in the help file: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/18994/18994_aoa_rock_shader_user_guide.pdf

Then when I render, I get this: 

Comments

• That is a 3Delight shader, I suspect you are using Iray (which is the default). Unfortunately custom sahders don't translate between the two engines.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

If you download my (free) WTP3 iray shader pack (in my sig), the Ground/Boulder shader will turn blobs into rocks. Though it uses displacement, so you are going to need a denser mesh than the above.

Here are some examples with tweaks for Displacement tiling, displacement min/max, and color tweaks. Base object is a sphere, 1 meter, 16/16 divisions whatever. It's subdivided to level 5.

Note that each took about 2-3 minutes to render (I have GTX 970 x2, for reference)

Boulders.jpg
    3240 x 1080 - 695K
  • Doh! The curse of 3delight strikes again.... Thanks guys for the help. yes

Timmins: Thanks, I'll check out your iray rock shader cool

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I consider it the curse of Iray as it Iray that doesn't handle displacement like 3Delight did.