Is G2 dead?

I haven't seen any new characters or morphs for the G2 platform in a while. Have developers stop making things for that platform? 

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

For the most part, yes.  There is still the occasional pose set, outfit or hair that is for both G3 and G2, but I don't expect any G2 characters at this point.  Especially since G2 and G3 can't share skin textures without a 3rd party purchased add on.

(That said, should any vendor out there want to do a G2 character, you'll have my interest - especially if she isn't fair skinned.)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,887

plenty offsite

I think there is some sort of support the latest figure push for PA's some have dropped hints but obviously under some sort of NDA.

I do know nearly everyone who does animation who posts on this forum at least avoids Genesis 3 as in spite of various conversion scripts using any premade mocap, BVH or past AniBlocks on them is difficult, not impossible but far too much work when Genesis and genesis 2 or for that matter V4 and under all work fine out the box with most premade animations.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'se havent bought G2 stuff in a while.  might be cuz nothung new came out 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

It's the norm, come with a new figure and the company expects PAs to support the new figure. Keep in mind that with one of the Cayman Studios products, you can use any G3F texture on G2F. made me go back to some of my G2 saved files and work on them again.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,887
    Mistara said:

i'se havent bought G2 stuff in a while.  might be cuz nothung new came out 

This

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    th3Digit said:

I think there is some sort of support the latest figure push for PA's some have dropped hints but obviously under some sort of NDA.

No push at all; when you start seeing the new generation sales take over the old, that means there is no longer viable interest in making characters for the older generation... no NDA-secretive-under-the-table-speculative issue, just simple supply and demand from customers that rules any store..

• Is G2 dead? Depends on what you consider "dead" to mean.

There are still plenty of people, including me, who use G2 regularly. I like G2 a lot. It's a perfectly good base to build characters on and it poses reasonably well. There are still people who post G2 freebies, such as poses, characters, and morphs. Most G1 poses and clothes are reasonably compatible with G2 so there is another line of support. In that sense, G2 will thrive as long as there are users for it.

But paid products? That is very, very, very rare. Even on other sites, you are more likely to find something new for V4 than for G2. G3 is really the figure that the market and creators seem to have gotten 150% behind and that's just the way it is. For a short while, new pose sets for G3 also included versions of those poses for G2 but I have not seen that in the Daz store -or elsewhere- for some time.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

One of the PC+ releases last week was a texture set for a G2F outfit. So even here some content is still showing up. If only sporadically.

But, yeah, as Th3Digit says, there is plenty of new content for G2 series in places other than DAZ. 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770

For those who are totally dependent on the PA's for content,
    The Era of Genesis 2 is essentially over and G3 will some day follow.

I am not personally affected as I am my own content provider.
    also there are few  people making G2F content 
    for that segment of the poser market that is using G2 +DSON in the versions of poser that support it.  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2017

I don't use G2, but I do (as I spot a texture set I like) convert them to G3.

... So not dead.

I even bought a G2 figure a few weeks ago; was cheap and textures looked good, which is the case for still older content too.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017

"I do know nearly everyone who does animation who posts on this forum at least avoids Genesis 3 as in spite of various conversion scripts using any premade mocap, BVH or past AniBlocks on them is difficult, not impossible but far too much work when Genesis and genesis 2 or for that matter V4 and under all work fine out the box with most premade animations"

This is quite true
    The G3 animation problem has been solved by retargeting scripts.
    To be honest the only G3 based character that I plan to use
    in animation is Ivan as  he has that perfect late 40's early 50's
    Alpha male Look to him and I have already made a couple of really nice one off  modern outfits for him. 

I do still need some facial hair options for Ivan.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • As long as I can keep autofitting/converting the bajillion items of content for V4 onto G2F, she'll never be dead.  Enjoying semi-retirement maybe, but not dead.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I still use the Genesis 2 figures quite regularly. I especially like the looks of Mike 6 (not including the "moobs") ;). For a more stylized figure, Vicky 6 is the ticket. I still use Genesis figures regularly as well. If it works, why not? Even V4 and M4 have their uses.

Laurie

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,041

Well, I just want to add that I would PAY for G2 stuff especially various poses and facial morphs. 

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

I use G2F all the time

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I don't use Genesis 2 much anymore. I do use Genesis 3 pretty much exclusively

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

What's the problem? There's plenty available in the Daz store. 

Well, I just want to add that I would PAY for G2 stuff especially various poses and facial morphs. 

• FabeFabe Posts: 212

WOW,and here I am still using Genesis 1. I really need to get caught up and at least buy the G2 and G3 basic bundles before G4 hits.

• msam921msam921 Posts: 141

Genesis 2 is alive and well in my runtime.

Different interactive poses would be nice

fastbike1 said:

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited June 2017

Morana said:

As long as I can keep autofitting/converting the bajillion items of content for V4 onto G2F, she'll never be dead.  Enjoying semi-retirement maybe, but not dead.

This.  And for that matter, if you have all or most of the conversion tools and the skin builders, you can convert darn near every pose, skin, character and clothing item up through the generations starting at V3 and use all of that content on every generation up to Genesis 3 at least.  Who knows what Generation 4 will bring.

And I far prefer the G2 males to the G3 males.  Personal taste but if I am using a male its probably a G2

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

fastbike1 said:

I believe there is a product that will convert G3 poses to G2 poses but it's slim pickings in G3 too. There are also products that will convert poses for older than G2 to G2. I think M4/V4 have the most interactive poses available followed by Genesis.

Hopefully someone will come along that knows the name of those products as I don't. I know in the Freebies section is a thread with a script that will convert all older DAZ poses to Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, ...forward in model version...your choice but not backwards in model version from eg Genesis 3 to Genesis 2. That script is sold in the DAZ Store. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,193
    edited June 2017
    Fabe said:

WOW,and here I am still using Genesis 1. I really need to get caught up and at least buy the G2 and G3 basic bundles before G4 hits.

I've finally got a couple of things I use Genesis2 for simpy because they've been very well done in G2 (Minotaur for example).  But most of my scenes are still done using M4 & Genesis1 guys & monsters,   I've found Genesis3 to be a royal pain because they don't work with the AniMate plugin.  Yes, I went ahead a purchased Hercules for Genesis3 and he looks very nice but he's only has textures for Iray rendering and I'm not ready to sell my soul for better equipment yet.  M4 & Genesis men and 3Delight rendering work just fine for me, even with up to four characters in the scene.  But when I throw in a Genesis3 character, and Iray rendering it's like pumping mollases in January.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

fastbike1 said:

I believe there is a product that will convert G3 poses to G2 poses but it's slim pickings in G3 too. There are also products that will convert poses for older than G2 to G2. I think M4/V4 have the most interactive poses available followed by Genesis.

Hopefully someone will come along that knows the name of those products as I don't. I know in the Freebies section is a thread with a script that will convert all older DAZ poses to Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, ...forward in model version...your choice but not backwards in model version from eg Genesis 3 to Genesis 2. That script is sold in the DAZ Store. 

Yes, if I can convert G3 poses to work with G2, that would make my day 

anyone got a link for it?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I prefer the realism of genesis 3 male. After he came out, I really don't use genesis M4-genesis2   I sort of have limited time, so I don't want to fuss with old stuff to convert it and tweak it to look good with iray. 

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

My sense is that there's less available in terms of G2F hair, characters and expressions... and that G3 is a more-detailed mesh, esp. the head.

I've used G3 hair on G2 without issues. But there are certain facial and body morphs in G2 that I just can't seem to duplicate in G3

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816

I just went and gave G2 a virtual poke with my Carrara modelled stick.... yep, still alive yes devil

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited June 2017

fastbike1 said:

Yes, if I can convert G3 poses to work with G2, that would make my day 

anyone got a link for it?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/68118/backward-conversion-of-g3f-and-g3m-poses-to-genesis-and-genesis-2

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137491/converting-g3-poses-to-g2-it-works/p1

I believe the script is somewhere in these threads. And it actually works ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,552

Not totally dead. I have another set or two almost ready, once I get past life issues.