From ATI to GTX 1060 6GB

Hi guys, if this isn't the right forum to ask this please remove this.

I started some simple rendering with the Iray setting a few weeks ago and liked it, but it was really slow. Mainly because I used an ATI 2GB card, or didn't use because I guess the CPU did the trick? Anyway, a simple scene with a couch and 2 people (G3) in a 1280x720 res lasted about 90 mins to complete. I did some reading and noticed I needed a Nvidia GPU to advance a bit so I bought the GTX 1060 6GB and installed it. My other hardware is the same: AMD FX8350 CPU, 8GB of ram, and a SSD. I know the ram is a bit low but as far as I can read it should be able to handle small scenes, and I had hoped it would have at least worked on the exact same scene I mentioned with the couch and 2 people. I thought I would see some improvement in rendering time but I get no render at all and keep crashing on lack of memory.

I have both the CPU and in Daz3D recognized GPU set in the program for rendering and have no other progs running. I also dedicated 10GB on the SSD as virtual memory. I have the latest Nvidia drivers, I have the latest Daz3D version and all hardware is working as it should.

I have all default settings except the res on 1280x720, the Instanting Optimization on 'speed' because I read that searching through google and here, and the Display Optimization on 'best' for the same reason.

I am aware I could do with more ram but I thought I would have at least been able to render something without crashing, it worked with the ATI card? The render starts, and after about 70 mins it still says 0%, or it crashes within 5 mins on memory which it didn't do before? I really would like to learn what I'm doing wrong here.

Comments

• Oh, after all my testing with hardware seems I just had to turn pixel saving on. It works now but needs some minor tweaking when reading more...