How do I apply to Genesis the skin textures made for earlier figures?

K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
edited February 2013 in The Commons

Hey, fellas, just wanna know: is there a way I can apply to Genesis the skin textures originally created for the earlier figures, such as David, M3, V3, M4, V4 etc?

Tried Texture Converter 2. (I got the David/M3 plugin, which I installed as well.) Now when I ran TC2, hoping to convert a David texture for using on Genesis, it first prompted me for the source figure for which the textures I wish to convert were originally meant. No trouble with that -- I chose David/M3. But then TC2 prompted me for the figure that the converted textures are meant to be applied to -- and this time the choice offered in the menu is still David/M3. Only David/M3. What do I do now? Presumably I'd need a Genesis plugin for TC2, except I could find no such thing.

Help please, anyone? Thanks?

Post edited by K T Ong on

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Genesis, as delivered, 'understands' the UV mapping for M4 and V4 so can accept textures made for those figures with minimal issues - you may need to manually set the UV mapping under the Surfaces tab. If you can convert Gen3 textures to Gen4 you should be ok.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Yes, as SimonJM says, Genesis is already UV Mapped for Michael 4, Victoria 4 and The Kids 4, out of the box.

The default setting is for V4, and you can change that in the Surfaces pane near the bottom under 'UV Set'.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited December 1969

Well, you need at least 2 plugins as stated on the tc2 info page

"TC2 will only convert to and from a figure plugin that you have installed."
    http://www.textureconvertor.com/about.asp

Ne genesis plugin AFAIK, so you need at least the M4 or V4 plugin as well in order to be able to convert and use it on genesis

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Totally new to this 'UV mapping' thing, but I'll check it out. Thanks, fellas!

Guess I'll hafta get the M4/V4 plugin for TC2 now...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are also lots of free textures for M4 and V4 on ShareCG, which can be used with Genesis.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    Totally new to this 'UV mapping' thing, but I'll check it out. Thanks, fellas!

Guess I'll hafta get the M4/V4 plugin for TC2 now...

UV mapping options are at the bottom of the Surfaces tab called "UV Sets". If your using M4 or the Kids make sure you click the little Open Lock icon to Lock it so if your applying makeups or facial hair or eye colors the UV won't default back to V4 (which is Genesis default UV map).

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that info, wolff! Oughta come in handy!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Glad to help where I can!