Facegen Pro

I need some tutorial videos folks!!

Will take tips too!!

That main problem I'm having is the shape of the face. It never works like I hope it would and always seems to enlarged the face to sickly distorted proportions if you go to 100%!!

I've had marginal success by making multiple sliders form different photos and "Trying to find the middle".

Anyone??

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Are you matching the SKIN OF THE FACE to the dialed in character?

What Genesis version is your base?

Gen 3 and Gen 2 work good as base models. Genesis 1 and earlier gave me weird results.

Here's my FaceGen notes, pulled from somewhere.

I suggest you make a document full of tips and tricks and troubleshooting fixes....

----------------------------------

FaceGen Notes

GENESIS 3M NOTES

To apply your new face shape:

0. Restart Daz Studio.

1. Load the Genesis 3 Male (or female) mesh (Smart Content -> Files -> Figures).

2. Select Parameters (or Shaping -> Editor) -> Genesis 3 Male -> Actor -> Head.

3. Your new control should appear under the name you gave it. Move to 100%

To apply your new color maps:

1. Select Surfaces -> Editor -> Genesis 3 Male (or female)' -> Surfaces.

2. Bind surfaces to images by selecting, then clicking on the image icon in 

'Diffuse Color' and choosing 'browse':

Bind the following surfaces to the respective image:

(This is found in the folder you picked to EXPORT your facegen textures to)

(also, I make folder shorcuts to get back and forth to save time)

Ears,  EyeSocket,    Face,    Lips : tex_face.jpg

Irises,    Pupils,   Sclera : tex_eyes.jpg

Torso : tex_torso.jpg

Arms : tex_arms.jpg

Legs : tex_legs.jpg

3. (optional) For Eyelashes, reduce Opacity Strength to 0 for best likeness.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

That 'swollen face' you talk of happens when there is not a high resolution image you scanned for the picture. I know as I tried pictures of my grandfather and my grandma from 1920 and the details in the photoscan weren't sufficient so I wound up with a low polygon Facegen morph that wasn't a good fit to the DAZ models. So I will make nw scans although if the picture source doesn't have the details to begin with, and a lot of very old pictures don't have those details, no matter how high a resolution you scan the picture in you won't get a good FaceGen morph out of it.

You also can get that problem by not placing the dots in good places or placing them innacurately.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

There was a thread on Facegen when it first was released here (titled something like "FaceGen is on sale, buy it now!").  In it there were some tips that you may find useful.  The one that stuck out the most to me (and seemed to make a hug difference) is that when you are asked to place the dots at the lower jaw level, put them at the same height as the mouth dots. I was putting them lower and that was wrong, it was warping the face.  That might help a bit.  There were other tips too, I can't recall them at the moment.

Good luck!

• AlfawulfAlfawulf Posts: 174
    avxp said:

Are you matching the SKIN OF THE FACE to the dialed in character?

What Genesis version is your base?

Gen 3 and Gen 2 work good as base models. Genesis 1 and earlier gave me weird results.

Here's my FaceGen notes, pulled from somewhere.

I suggest you make a document full of tips and tricks and troubleshooting fixes....

----------------------------------

FaceGen Notes

GENESIS 3M NOTES

To apply your new face shape:

0. Restart Daz Studio.

1. Load the Genesis 3 Male (or female) mesh (Smart Content -> Files -> Figures).

2. Select Parameters (or Shaping -> Editor) -> Genesis 3 Male -> Actor -> Head.

3. Your new control should appear under the name you gave it. Move to 100%

To apply your new color maps:

1. Select Surfaces -> Editor -> Genesis 3 Male (or female)' -> Surfaces.

2. Bind surfaces to images by selecting, then clicking on the image icon in 

'Diffuse Color' and choosing 'browse':

Bind the following surfaces to the respective image:

(This is found in the folder you picked to EXPORT your facegen textures to)

(also, I make folder shorcuts to get back and forth to save time)

Ears,  EyeSocket,    Face,    Lips : tex_face.jpg

Irises,    Pupils,   Sclera : tex_eyes.jpg

Torso : tex_torso.jpg

Arms : tex_arms.jpg

Legs : tex_legs.jpg

3. (optional) For Eyelashes, reduce Opacity Strength to 0 for best likeness.

Thanx for the details but all this is on everytime you go to export.

I have the process down it's the "Move slider to 100%" that's giving me issues.

There was a thread on Facegen when it first was released here (titled something like "FaceGen is on sale, buy it now!").  In it there were some tips that you may find useful.  The one that stuck out the most to me (and seemed to make a hug difference) is that when you are asked to place the dots at the lower jaw level, put them at the same height as the mouth dots. I was putting them lower and that was wrong, it was warping the face.  That might help a bit.  There were other tips too, I can't recall them at the moment.

Good luck!

Really!?!? I'll try that lol!

That 'swollen face' you talk of happens when there is not a high resolution image you scanned for the picture. I know as I tried pictures of my grandfather and my grandma from 1920 and the details in the photoscan weren't sufficient so I wound up with a low polygon Facegen morph that wasn't a good fit to the DAZ models. So I will make nw scans although if the picture source doesn't have the details to begin with, and a lot of very old pictures don't have those details, no matter how high a resolution you scan the picture in you won't get a good FaceGen morph out of it.

You also can get that problem by not placing the dots in good places or placing them innacurately.

You sure it's the resolution??

I've had varying rez's and it happens on them all. 

I'm placing the points where they say and it doesn't seem to help. particularly with the nose..

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Alfawulf said:

You sure it's the resolution??

I've had varying rez's and it happens on them all. 

I'm placing the points where they say and it doesn't seem to help. particularly with the nose..

No, not 100% sure but I noticed it happened on the old black & white photos. Your suggestions & Grinch's have me thing I will try those photo again. Thanks.