Making laces and corset UV.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm working on a sexy post apocalyptic zombie slaying nun costume and I'm wondering what the best way is to handle the laces.

Should I model it like a real lace, as one continuous piece threaded through the eyelets of the corset or should I just make little Xs. Also should the rigidity for the eyelets reference the lace or the corset or both?

The corset is going to lace up in the front and back so am I correct in thinking I should only need to UV one half of the corset if that half if copied and mirrored for the other side? As long as I don't weld them it shouldn't collapse the UV map, right?

nun_work2.jpg
1280 x 800 - 199K

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited December 1969

Modeling the X's will be the better of the two and less time consuming. You can then model 1 set and duplicate it up the clothing

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I prefer to model an entire cord, but with this many eyelets you might get away with the X's method and have it look all right. It will help if you add a bow or knot at the top to suggest in the viewer's mind that it was tied.

I can't help you with the rigidity, though; I don't really use it (it's a way to avoid doing custom FBMs and I'm going to do those anyway).

In what program are you doing the UV?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I'm modelling this in Hexagon so I'm doing the UV as I go along. I think I'll save the laces for the end . Right now I'm making the ruffled skirt to attach to the bottom of the corset. Now there's a job that's not fun.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited March 2013

I've been so busy lately that I've only had time to work on my sexy nun outfit sporadically but I did the laces today. I've discovered that it is easiest to make the laces by just lacing one lace then mirroring it. Kind of the way I have to do up my knee high motorcycle boots, lace one side then the other.

I made a cylinder and then angled it starting from the bottom eyelet on one side to the second eyelet on the other. Then from that eyelet I copied and pasted the cylinder but this time put it on the inside of the corset. I then repeated this procedure alternating outside and inside until I got to the top.

Then I made a torus the same size as the cylinder for the laces. I deleted half the torus and then copy an pasted it through all the eyelets that the cylinders lead to. I angled the torus to match the angle of the outside lace cylinders. Then I welded everything together. Once it was done I just copied and mirrored the lace then welded it together.

Fast and easy laces! Woo!

Now I just have to model the knot, and then model the laces at the back of the corset and the corset part of this outfit will be done. Then it's just boots, gloves, and pads and I'll be done modelling it.

Not looking forward to rigging the wimple.%-P

PS. When I get it finished it'll be available for free on my ShareCG page.

laces.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 495K
    Post edited by ghastlycomic on