June 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes and Landscapes

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    harrykim said:

well, seems that this month is no contest, so lets play a bit.

Landscape is not my favorite theme. It lives from atmosphere and depth. Look at Shinji´s ruins scene or Kismet´s Lone Rider. This is still over my head.

I do not have that much props to create a landscape scene ( shoot all my powder in April), but I can improvise well. So I did simply go an other way. The base is laid wink

I've looked at all the versions of this on the first two pages. Other than the black mark in the upper right corner (which you could easily clone away in an image editor), I love this first simple one the best. Your original approach to this challenge has led to a fantastic image, I think.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

cryingcryingcrying

WTF... I have just load my tower to adjust some lightsettings, but now I'm shocked. All the planes are solid again. Whats happen? 
    Must I save a primitive, that I have manipulated with the editor, in a special way?

Can't belive it... over two hour of work are lost. :/

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I thought I'd check in and see what you guys are up to.  Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Shinji.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery to her.  It's always harder to bounce back from things like that as one gets older but it is possible.

@Harrykim  - I'm with Barbult.  I kind of like your earlier versions best.  Overall, I love the whole idea.  Nice idea and you're doing really well at implementing it.

@Daybird -  Ouch!  That was looking really good, too.  How did you save it when you were done with the editor?  I'm not very familiar with the editor but I think you have to save it as a Support Asset after you are done.  I'm not sure any changes made are saved just from saving your scene.  I could be wrong, though, as I haven't played with the Geometry Editor all that much yet.  

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited June 2017

I have less time available to work on my image for this month, but I have decided to take part in the contest to gain more experience in creating landscape scenes.

I've used a Skydome and the Millenium Environment to create the landscape and added some RDNA grasses and mushrooms. I realise that some of the plants are out of proportion with the girl. I would welcome some advice about what I can do to improve this image.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

@Daybird -  Ouch!  That was looking really good, too.  How did you save it when you were done with the editor?  I'm not very familiar with the editor but I think you have to save it as a Support Asset after you are done.  I'm not sure any changes made are saved just from saving your scene.  I could be wrong, though, as I haven't played with the Geometry Editor all that much yet.  

Just to not let you get on the wrong treck, no you don't need to save surfaces you selected and separated with the geometry editor in an extra asset when its for the same scene, just save, but tha os very necessary.

When you want to make it a prop that you can use later in different scenes you need to save it as material option or the original prop.

sueya said:

I have less time available to work on my image for this month, but I have decided to take part in the contest to gain more experience in creating landscape scenes.

I've used a Skydome and the Millenium Environment to create the landscape and added some RDNA grasses and mushrooms. I realise that some of the plants are out of proportion with the girl. I would welcome some advice about what I can do to improve this image.

I'm glad that you decided to join anyway. This looks like a very nice start and you did a lot of things very good  (atmosphere and mood, I like that lake there!) and found some flaws already ( size adjustment on the plants)

For the moment I have the impresssion, that you fromt scene looks a bit too staged, like with a background plane, so what you need is a bit more connection between the front and the back. Guessing that you use 3delight and used a spot light for the girl in front? Try to use a light that integrates your mountains as well like a distant light ( for Iray that would be the sun) Dial the shadows to a bit softness (5% should be fine) and if you like add a tint of blue on a  Uber environment light.

As of context, probably you find a reason why she is there ( came with a horse? collecting flowers? meeting her loved one?...etc)

That is great to hear, but probably it would be best to make a post in the Arts forums https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/art-studio as this thread is dedicated to challenge participation, which you are invited to join, by all means.

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited June 2017
    barbult said:
    harrykim said:

I've looked at all the versions of this on the first two pages. Other than the black mark in the upper right corner (which you could easily clone away in an image editor), I love this first simple one the best. Your original approach to this challenge has led to a fantastic image, I think.

Knittingmommy said :  I kind of like your earlier versions best.  Overall, I love the whole idea.  Nice idea and you're doing really well at implementing it.

thank you so much for your comment´s. I´m happy that you like it and indeed I have the original version safed (almost) untouched.

I continue with different versions, since I dont know if there is´nt something nice I would´nt have expected. So far there is no final version in my mind, I´m just playing arround smiley​   And for now I stopped fighting with the fog look. At the end I will see what I have

Post edited by harrykim on
  • mayilvahananmayilvahanan Posts: 4
    edited June 2017
    Linwelly said:

That is great to hear, but probably it would be best to make a post in the Arts forums https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/art-studio as this thread is dedicated to challenge participation, which you are invited to join, by all means.

Sorry, was just too excited to share it. will make it there yes posted it here => https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/177591/lilc-my-first-short-flim-with-daz3d#latest

Post edited by mayilvahanan on
    edited June 2017

A bit of TinyToon, a bit of Playmobil, like it. 

First I was concerned that the second terrasse would distroy the look, and if it would be worth the effort to build it. But now I´m happy with the result, ... works fine.

I made variose versions. My personal faforit is this

PS: I was just focused on the apearence. Renderquality comes later

Test 09.jpg
    800 x 494 - 238K
    Test 10.jpg
    800 x 494 - 210K
    Test 12 .jpg
    800 x 494 - 232K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    harrykim said:

A bit of TinyToon, a bit of Playmobil, like it. 

First I was concerned that the second terrasse would distroy the look, and if it would be worth the effort to build it. But now I´m happy with the result, ... works fine.

I made variose versions. My personal faforit is this

PS: I was just focused on the apearence. Renderquality comes later

Experimenting is a double edged sword.  If you do not try something different and new you may miss out on an "aha" moment and come up with something fantastic. 

The other side of that coin is you could ruin something you love and not be able to get it back.  Keeping different versions is certainly a good way to avoid that.  I also try to keep really good notes so I can go back to a prior setup if necessary.

I really like the 2nd terrace.  It gives the eye something to focus on in the distance and then come back to the little house.  The eye has something to land on in various areas as it travels over the image.

• Something I'd like to contribute to the contest :)
    I have been trying to decide on whether or not to keep the landscape dark, desolate and lonely; which I feel is an honest depiction of space 
    or as I discovered by messing around with the 'visualizing finite dome' environment tab; create an atmosphere similar to that of a planet within a Nebula.
    I'm trying to do everything in studio, so any tips and tricks are appreciated.

This is a pretty quick render on my system - so possibly within the next day or two I'll upload an alternate concept.

6673 Vespea B.png
    2560 x 1080 - 2M
    edited June 2017

Something I'd like to contribute to the contest :)
    I have been trying to decide on whether or not to keep the landscape dark, desolate and lonely; which I feel is an honest depiction of space 
    or as I discovered by messing around with the 'visualizing finite dome' environment tab; create an atmosphere similar to that of a planet within a Nebula.

This is a pretty quick render on my system - so possibly within the next day or two I'll upload an alternate concept.

Please don´t change anything !

Seriously, you probably think it is to simple, and maybe you have a lot more ideas in your mind, but just dont lose this version. 

Ok, 1 thing. Would be great to see a little more details of the space ship body.

harrykim said:

Seriously, you probably think it is to simple, and maybe you have a lot more ideas in your mind, but just dont lose this version. 

Ok, 1 thing. Would be great to see a little more details of the space ship body.

I tend to agree with harrykim.  Keep this version and save any experiments as alternate versions.

I would make 1 suggestion related to the ship.  If you can some kind of glow to indicate where the engines are located.  It could help to illuminate the body a bit mroe as suggested by @harrykim.

Great start.

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited June 2017

Hello everyone, I am ok here, but having problems getting Daz studio to save a render since the last update. DAZ always freezes when saving the render. I know this is not technical support, I am just posting here to let everyone know I am ok. Of course any tips on solving this problem would be nice. At this point, my only option is to do a screen capture of the image while it is rendering. I hope to get something up for the contest.

Post edited by ricswika on
  • ricswika said:

Hello everyone, I am ok here, but having problems getting Daz studio to save a render since the last update. DAZ always freezes when saving the render. I know this is not technical support, I am just posting here to let everyone know I am ok. Of course any tips on solving this problem would be nice. At this point, my only option is to do a screen capture of the image while it is rendering. I hope to get something up for the contest.

How are you saving (or not) - from the bottom of the render pane or via File>Save Last Render? If it's the render pane is it using folders or libraries to give the destination (libraries is the default)?

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited June 2017
    ricswika said:

How are you saving (or not) - from the bottom of the render pane or via File>Save Last Render? If it's the render pane is it using folders or libraries to give the destination (libraries is the default)?

A window pops up saying "Daz Studio has stopped working". This happens if I let the render go to completion or if I click 'Cancel' during a render to stop early. So the freeze occurs before the actual save to file. It does usually work If I only let the render go a few iterations before stopping. It is only after letting it render for a while that it fails. I suspect something gets corrupted after some time of working.

Started thread here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178211/daz-stuido-has-stopped-working-worked-until-latest-update#latest

Post edited by ricswika on
  • harrykim said:

I tend to agree with harrykim.  Keep this version and save any experiments as alternate versions.

I would make 1 suggestion related to the ship.  If you can some kind of glow to indicate where the engines are located.  It could help to illuminate the body a bit mroe as suggested by @harrykim.

Great start.

I agree with both harrykim, and Kismet.  In fact, saving different versions under a different file name is what I do.  How I go about it is (month)(year)[-2(3...)](a-z). So the first version of my ruins scene this month was June2017a.

edited June 2017

it looks as if I would have made allot of changes, but actually I did´nt. Two fog planes between the terrasses, an image applied to bump and normal map and a little bit more F/Stop. I´m curious what the "brown" version will be.

Bright 03.jpg
    800 x 494 - 229K
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited June 2017

Just was exparamenting with the genesis 8 female and knocked this out using the same set as my main project this month.  Her outfit was for v3 fitted though genesis 3 female.

june2017-3a.png
    1085 x 872 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

Just was exparamenting with the genesis 8 female and knocked this out using the same set as my main project this month.  Her outfit was for v3 fitted though genesis 3 female.

based on what you show usually, this is a bit of understatement, is´nt it ? wink

edited June 2017

and here is the other version

Dark 03.jpg
    800 x 494 - 237K
  • I meant to get started with this sooner, but had Windows problems. Here's the work-in-progress:

render mk0

Current TODO list:

• Add fuzzyness to the landscape in question (Lots of plant props. Probably mostly billboards.)
    • Fix her posing. Right now her bow is only in the general vicinity of the strings.
    • Add wind. Making the flowy bits flick a bit should give the scene a nice sense of motion.
    • Pull the camera back a bit. This should put more focus on the background.

Any suggestions? Things I should add or take away?

I meant to get started with this sooner, but had Windows problems. Here's the work-in-progress:

render mk0

Current TODO list:

• Add fuzzyness to the landscape in question (Lots of plant props. Probably mostly billboards.)
    • Fix her posing. Right now her bow is only in the general vicinity of the strings.
    • Add wind. Making the flowy bits flick a bit should give the scene a nice sense of motion.

If you have something some mists along the base of the mountains in the background will provide a sense of distance.  It may not be necessary once you have added yoru plant props.

harrykim said:

and here is the other version

I have not decided which I like better.  The bluer version draws my eye to the horizon.  The brown version draws my eye to the brightly coloured terraces.

Both have merits.

I am impressed you were able to get a V3 outfit on her.  Right now the image is dark and has no real focus other than the character.  Since this is a landscape challenge she should be a "prop" not the main focus.

Perhaps providing a reason for her to be walking around with her gun drawn?  Or maybe the glow of a sunset/sunrise on the horizon.  Maybe the glow of a camp type fire somewhere to indicate there other people around, even if they aren't visible, or she has a camp nearby and is performing a final patrol before either settling in for the night or while waiting for the sun to rise.

harrykim said:

I have not decided which I like better.  The bluer version draws my eye to the horizon.  The brown version draws my eye to the brightly coloured terraces.

Both have merits.

Well , it´s just like you. I could´nt make a dicission. I change my mind almost always when compair the both version.

But your comment brings me to a question. If you say that your eyes become drawn to something. Does this mean, that there is less connection between the elements ?

edited June 2017

I meant to get started with this sooner, but had Windows problems. Here's the work-in-progress:

render mk0

Current TODO list:

It is not easy because with what you have started is to add elements which are working very well together, but not yet telling if you want to go into width or „integration“. I mean, if there is a foreground, which ends with the stone balustrade or if the landscape prop should be integrated.

In first case I would stretch the prop in horizontal direction. In 2nd case you still have options to simulate width/depth by adding birds in the sky, small enough to make it looks like as if they fly in the far distance. In any case I would check what the landscape prop can. Increase the bump allot to see what would be needed to make it look nice. Plants, flowers or probably nothing ?

And if you allow, I would change the camera angle slightly to the side. This leads in a less static sight.

harrykim said:
    harrykim said:

Both have merits.

Well , it´s just like you. I could´nt make a dicission. I change my mind almost always when compair the both version.

But your comment brings me to a question. If you say that your eyes become drawn to something. Does this mean, that there is less connection between the elements ?

It comes down to art theory and composition.  I had an Abract Painting Art Teach who always reminded us that the eye is drawn to the the location of the darkest dark and the lightest light...where they converged is where the eye is drawn.  In the bluer image the terraces are brightly coloured with some darker shadows.  That brightness draws the eye.

In the browner/darker image the clouds appear whiter/lighter and that contrast against the darker background and terrace in the distance draws the eye. 

At least for me this is how it is working.