Make my own clothes fo Genesis

BeemBeem Posts: 95
edited May 2017 in New Users

I love making clothes in different programs but when it comes to Daz i have no idea how to do.

I found a tutorial saying to open a Genesis Figure in Daz.  The File > Export  - choose a folder and save as .obj.

Then: Obj Export Options - Convert from Daz Studio to Daz Studio (1unit=1cm) - Accept

I click the .obj file and it opens in 3D builder but........

then what to do ? I can not draw clothes here. .....or ?

Post edited by Beem on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

Are you wanting to model clothes or to paint new textures on existing clothes (or diectly on the base figure)?

• BeemBeem Posts: 95
    edited May 2017

This is how i mean:

1 - I want to make new clothes and

2 - I want to paint new texture / colors on a base figure

Easiest way is perhaps to do nr 2 but i want to learn nr 1 too.

Post edited by Beem on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

The built-in Windows tools are unlikely to be up to the job. At least in principle Blender should work.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2017

Well I've done anough Blender tutorials to know it is somewhat tedious and difficult and that I need many more tutorials to actually develop skills but there are free tutorials to learn Blender:

1) https://www.youtube.com/user/DarrinLile

then when you are satisfied learning Blender use the helper scripts made to get DAZ models & textures into Blender:

2) https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/136706/daz-importer-for-blender-up-dated-new-version-1-1

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

So i have to use a program outside Daz for ex Blender. I can not make clothes in Daz ?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

DS is not a modelling program.   Hexagon or another modelling program is needed.

Chohole said:

DS is not a modelling program.   Hexagon or another modelling program is needed.

I see. Thank you.

edited May 2017
    Beem said:
    Chohole said:

I see. Thank you.

Basically, you'd do all the modeling and texturing (including UV creation) in Blender (or Hexagon or ...) and do all the weight painting (needed for rigging), rigging and surface materials creation in DAZ Studio. There is something called 'JCM' (joint control morphs) which has something to do which creating natural looking bends when you pose DAZ format models you have to do in DAZ too. There is also only DAZ specific things you need to or could do in DAZ Studio.

However, all of that is not a 2 week or month of doing tutorials. If you actually sat down and did all the tutorial for Mr Lile and familiarized yourself with DAZ Studio just a bit while doing that (no need to try & do anything in DAZ Studio until you finish the tutorials from Mr Lile) I'm sure you'd have no problem doing what you want to do in 3 - 6 months.

So if you did the Lile tutorials you'd be able to rig & create materials (surfaces) and animation exclusively in Blender. You'd then extend that when done to do the equivalent in DAZ Studio (except you can't model in DS and you can't paint textures in DS).

Opps, I forgot - Lile makes clothing but there is another more 'DAZ Studio' centric way of making clothing in Blender. After completing the Darrin Lile tutorials you'd want to search YouTube for making clothing in Blender' and also 'making hair in Blender' spend 1 - 3 months doing enough of those, and THEN move onto DAZ Studio so 4 months - 10 months or if you include the DAZ Studio learning time 6 months to 12 months to be able to do what you were asking. Not bad really.

Good luck and have fun.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited May 2017
    Beem said:
    Chohole said:

I see. Thank you.

Basically, you'd do all the modeling and texturing (including UV creation) in Blender (or Hexagon or ...) and do all the weight painting (needed for rigging), rigging and surface materials creation in DAZ Studio. There is something called 'JCM' (joint control morphs) which has something to do which creating natural looking bends when you pose DAZ format models you have to do in DAZ too. There is also only DAZ specific things you need to or could do in DAZ Studio.

However, all of that is not a 2 week or month of doing tutorials. If you actually sat down and did all the tutorial for Mr Lile and familiarized yourself with DAZ Studio just a bit while doing that (no need to try & do anything in DAZ Studio until you finish the tutorials from Mr Lile) I'm sure you'd have no problem doing what you want to do in 3 - 6 months.

So if you did the Lile tutorials you'd be able to rig & create materials (surfaces) and animation exclusively in Blender. You'd then extend that when done to do the equivalent in DAZ Studio (except you can't model in DS and you can't paint textures in DS).

Opps, I forgot - Lile makes clothing but there is another more 'DAZ Studio' centric way of making clothing in Blender. After completing the Darrin Lile tutorials you'd want to search YouTube for making clothing in Blender' and also 'making hair in Blender' spend 1 - 3 months doing enough of those, and THEN move onto DAZ Studio so 4 months - 10 months or if you include the DAZ Studio learning time 6 months to 12 months to be able to do what you were asking. Not bad really.

Good luck and have fun.

What are you talking about -  Mr Lile ?

No problems if it takes 6 months to learn. I have the time. laugh

Post edited by Beem on
    Beem said:
    Beem said:
    Chohole said:

I see. Thank you.

Good luck and have fun.

What are you talking about -  Mr Lile ?

No problems if it takes 6 months to learn. I have the time. laugh

I gave you a link to Mr Lile's free tutorials on YouTube. That's what I mean by  'did all the tutorial for Mr Lile' which should by 'did all the tutorial by Mr Lile'  

edited May 2017

Oh i see. Thank you.

I saw the links but did not understand abot Mr Lile.

Post edited by Beem on