Texturing a Primitive Cube

dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have made a primitive cube in Daz Studio. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Let's say I want to apply a rubic's cube texture to it and have all the stickers line up properly. How do I go about making the necessary texture?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

depends on how the cube is uv mapped
    Daz studio primitives usually fold out to a flat square divided into 3 horizontal by 2 vertical boxes
    but cubes from elsewhere may be mapped many ways.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is there any way for me to tell Studio how I want it mapped?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

you need to map it uv mapper, Hexagon, Blender, Wings 3D, Carrara or any other modelling program that does uv mapping
    or just simply use a flat square divided into 6 parts as your texture map

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

There are no ways to change the UV's within Daz Studio, but you can view the UV's under the view drop down and save it out. Edit the image and use it as a texture to get your Rubik's cube, The only other way is to use a program like Blender or Hexagon to manually change the UV's so you can create the prop.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited February 2013

Also, what you could do, is to use the Polygon Group Editor to select each of the six faces, and you could load a different image on to each one. You select the PGE, select a face, then use Create Surface from Selection, and it will then appear in your Surfaces pane. It is a fairly easy way to get a method to apply six different textures to the one cube. See Below:

I just did three faces, and named them Top Right and front. It might be a bit simpler to do it in Hexagon if you have that.

Untitled-1.jpg
    892 x 864 - 226K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

The DAZ cube object appears to be mapped as below. You can see the faces are not square. You can use this as a template if you like as it seems fairly accurate.

DAZcube.jpg
    512 x 512 - 9K