Looking for a lei

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,749
edited May 2017 in The Commons

[Looking for a lei] You, know ... one of these: 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lei&FORM=HDRSC2

preferably a posable one, but any ideas would do ... or maybe a good idea as to how I'd Frankenstein one myself?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,033

There is a hair that came with Kalea that I think comes with a plumeria flower? You could put in a bunch of those around a character's neck. It's called oleander, but it looks more like hibiscus to me. That might do ya.

https://www.daz3d.com/oleander-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Ken Gilliland at Hivewire has some Hula sets with a Lei included

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Aren't we all. sigh.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798
    Scavenger said:

Aren't we all. sigh.

My immediate response outloud to my empty place, LoL!

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Found the one I used in this image at contentparadise a couple of years ago.

Think it was called Hula (something) and was for Aiko 4.

Not in my R/T any more but could scratch round my archive drive if it's of interest.

G2FMoanaXMas15_021sm.jpg
    800 x 1295 - 530K
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,335
    edited May 2017

I made one from SAV's (Renderosity) poseable Boa; I replaced the feathers with flowers. Just take some diffuse, bump and transparency maps from another pack (in my case it was Faveral's Hazienda Hermosa) and adjust them. There is a Boa in the Daz shop https://www.daz3d.com/boalicious-poseable-feather-boa-superpack

You could try the operation with this model (it's only $ 2.99 for PC members), but I don't know if it is possible. 

SAV's Feather Boa Lei.png
    606 x 827 - 519K
    Post edited by caravelle on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,749
    edited May 2017
    Pack58 said:

Found the one I used in this image at contentparadise a couple of years ago.

Think it was called Hula (something) and was for Aiko 4.

Not in my R/T any more but could scratch round my archive drive if it's of interest.

That one is definitely of interest. Not as cartoony or fake looking as most I'm seeing.

Edit* I found it ... Hula Dancer ... thanks :)

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    caravelle said:

I made one from SAV's (Renderosity) poseable Boa; I replaced the feathers with flowers. Just take some diffuse, bump and transparency maps from another pack (in my case it was Faveral's Hazienda Hermosa) and adjust them. There is a Boa in the Daz shop https://www.daz3d.com/boalicious-poseable-feather-boa-superpack

You could try the operation with this model (it's only $ 2.99 for PC members), but I don't know if it is possible. 

That's gorgeous ... How hard would it be for me to convince you to make one in red-white-pink-white colors?

edited May 2017

That's gorgeous ... How hard would it be for me to convince you to make one in red-white-pink-white colors?

Sorry WillowRaven, this is impossible - unless you own the products I used. crying  But even then I don't know if it is allowed to give away a texture, i.e. a 'new product', I made from those two... But this kind of 'advanced kitbashing' wink is much fun; I could tell you step by step how to do it (it is really easy!) and give you the parameters of my own lei. 

Post edited by caravelle on
    caravelle said:

Sorry WillowRaven, this is impossible - unless you own the products I used. crying  But even then I don't know if it is allowed to give away a texture, i.e. a 'new product', I made from those two... But this kind of 'advanced kitbashing' wink is much fun; I could tell you step by step how to do it (it is really easy!) and give you the parameters of my own lei. 

I'm sure a tutorial would be enjoyed by more people than just me :D

caravelle said:

I'm sure a tutorial would be enjoyed by more people than just me :D

Well, I'll try... smiley As you can easily see, English is not my native language, so there will be some mistakes , but I hope I can make myself understood. Give me a few minutes, okay?

Actually, I wouldn't have noticed, and I can usually tell since a lot of my authors are foreign. You write English well.

Ah, thank you (blush)! wink 

Here is my attempt to write a tutorial:

Turn a Feather Boa into a Lei in DS Studio:

(I'm from the Stone Age, still using DS 4.6, but I hope it also works in DS 4.8/4.9)

++ Install https://www.daz3d.com/hacienda-hermosa (though it is an older product I promise you won't regret buying it) and studioartvartanian's (SAV) 'Feather Dreams' (also highly recommendable; it's from this other shop ;-))

++ Go to 'Figures' in the Poser Formats, find the SAV -> FeatherDreams folder, and load '2ndShoulderFeatherB'. This one is very easy to pose.

++ From now on you will only need to work with the Surface tab. Here I used Flower No 2, but of course you can take any other flower of the 'Hacienda'. To get the results shown in my picture above, select the boa and open the Surface tab. Click 'Feathers', and then 'Browse' in the little window on the left of 'Diffuse Color'. When it opens, go to: DAZ 3D -> Studio -> My Library (or My Daz Library) -> Runtime -> textures -> Hacienda ->HH-Flower2.jpg. The feathers of this part should now show the colour of the flower.

++ Now your flowers need the right shape. Click the Opacity Strength window in the Surface tab, then 'Browse', and follow the path to HH-Flower2T. Take this transparency map, but you can also use HH-Flower1T.

++ I set 'Glossiness' (a very important parameter; I don't understand why so many PAs remove it in their products if they sell 3DL Materials together with Iray Mats) to 50%, Specular Color to 207-139-163, Specular Strength to 100%, and Lighting Model to 'Metallic', but this is optional. Play with these parameters until you have the look you like.

++ You can also add something like a Bump Map. Just click the little Bump Strength window, and select the diffuse map HH-Flower2. I set Bump Strength to 100%, Negative Bump to 0.080, and Positive Bump to 0.18. (Almost) ready!

++ To turn the second part of this boa, 'Feathers2', into flowers, click 'Feathers', and go to Edit -> Copy -> Copy Selected Surface in the top menu. Select 'Feathers2', go to Edit -> Paste -> Paste to Selected Surface(s) and click. Now your Lei is ready!

++ If you want to mix red and white flowers, the simplest way is to remove the diffuse map from 'Diffuse Color' of one of the two parts. If you remove the diffuse map from 'Feathers', you'll get more red flowers, as 'Feathers2' seems to be the bigger part. Check the specular color, and make it darker it if the white flowers are too white.

++ Finally, to become a 'real' Lei, the boa should be posed. It has 10 sections at each side, plus a 'StartPoint' in the middle of the neck. Move the sections to your liking ('Parameter' tab), and close the lower ends so that the figure forms a ring. Make the lower sections invisible if the Lei is too long (see pic). Of course it is best if you do the posing when the figure is wearing the Boa/Lei.

Tell me if this little tutorial works, and if you need more pictures!

Lei-final steps.png
    320 x 533 - 38K
  • Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    edited May 2017

Great use of resources  caravelle. Looks good.

Hunted out the zip for the one I have and reinstalled it. If I was going to use it in a render I'd do new textures for the flowers first.

Had a play to see if I could get a better result then previously. Tried  sub-D on the core but that choked my poor old i7 4770.

Did two renders of the flowers in different colours and composited them. Thinking caravelles system's looking to give better results.

Imagine it'd be more versatile posing as well.

G3FLeiPlay_008.png
    800 x 800 - 861K
    Post edited by Pack58 on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

If you want to get lei-ed for free, try this:  http://www.sharecg.com/v/67195/view/5/3D-Model/Hawaiian-Lei   

• This is coming late, as I just found this thread but still: Caravelle, a big thanks! The only other good looking lei I found was at turbosquid, non poseable and damn expensive :) your solution

is great!