May 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Action & Props

Comments

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited May 2017
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    harrykim said:
    One thing more regarding your background image ( which I love ). For me it looks like the clouds become illuminated from behind. So you know where the sunlight comes from. In case I´m right,... does the girls shadow has the wrong angle?     Have fun !

The cliffs are to the north according to the story, the direction she is running. The sun rises from the east near the center of background image. She left her village before daylight, traveled for a few hours, making it between 8 and 9 am.

Honestly, I had problems getting Iray to do what I expected. I couldn't get the the background image itself to be the emmiter for environmental lighting. I ended up using the dome with the image applied for environmental lighting but I'm not sure if that is acutally working right. Another big problem I am having is that my lights are actually rendering in the image when I placed them in the correct locations. You can see them on camera. I had to cheat by moving some lights off camera. I am using an emmiter and a morphing parabolic mesh as a reflector for my lights. I just need to figure this out a little bit more.

I see a lot still needs to be done. For example, Januha's body needs to have more sheen, like she is in a sweaty jungle and has been running for hours. The teeth and eyes are too bright.

I found out that true HDRi images work much better on the dome for IBL than the .jpg image I was using. This version is lit by the envirionment.

I spent most of my time working on making her look wet. I might try to adding volumetric steam next.

Toned down the gloss on her sweaty skin and tried to make it look steamy.

januwafog copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 377K
    Post edited by ricswika on
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited May 2017

Updated. Forgot to apply the red tint to the lightning. So, I´m off

Look Mummy Updated.jpg
    1350 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by harrykim on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    harrykim said:
    One thing more regarding your background image ( which I love ). For me it looks like the clouds become illuminated from behind. So you know where the sunlight comes from. In case I´m right,... does the girls shadow has the wrong angle?     Have fun !

The cliffs are to the north according to the story, the direction she is running. The sun rises from the east near the center of background image. She left her village before daylight, traveled for a few hours, making it between 8 and 9 am.

Honestly, I had problems getting Iray to do what I expected. I couldn't get the the background image itself to be the emmiter for environmental lighting. I ended up using the dome with the image applied for environmental lighting but I'm not sure if that is acutally working right. Another big problem I am having is that my lights are actually rendering in the image when I placed them in the correct locations. You can see them on camera. I had to cheat by moving some lights off camera. I am using an emmiter and a morphing parabolic mesh as a reflector for my lights. I just need to figure this out a little bit more.

I see a lot still needs to be done. For example, Januha's body needs to have more sheen, like she is in a sweaty jungle and has been running for hours. The teeth and eyes are too bright.

I found out that true HDRi images work much better on the dome for IBL than the .jpg image I was using. This version is lit by the envirionment.

I spent most of my time working on making her look wet. I might try to adding volumetric steam next.

I like the fog effect here, it really adds to the render.

She's still a little too reflective and it makes her skin look like plastic.  Try toning it down a little more.  Because of the fog, there is no bright light coming in, so those sharp highlights on her skin don't quite make sense.  Keep the fog though - it really looks good. 

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    sueya said:

I have adjusted the man's hand so that he is holding onto the ladder.

There we go!  That looks good.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited May 2017

Thanks for everyone's comments.

After trying to look at images on Google of jugglers for a while I instead decided to look at videos on You Tube (thank you quarter speed setting) and promptly realised I had no idea how juggling is actually done, I fell into the mistake common enough to be mentioned on several of the videos that the ball is thrown directly from one hand to the other after being caught from the big loop.

So both arms and hands repositioned, two balls now placed in the hands as it seems that's pretty frequent based on the videos, and each hand throws its own smaller arc in the basic four ball juggling.

Next up I need to work out how to make it so the top and arm aren't overlapping.

Also just want to say good luck to everyone else, I won't comment on any pictures because I just don't feel confident enough to do so yet.

Juggler 9 (3Delight).jpg
    741 x 1200 - 365K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    Noswen said:

So both arms and hands repositioned, two balls now placed in the hands as it seems that's pretty frequent based on the videos, and each hand throws its own smaller arc in the basic four ball juggling.

Next up I need to work out how to make it so the top and arm aren't overlapping.

since I do not know if this is your final concept, please appologize. If it is not,-  before doing all that with the arms, think on the posing of the girl first, otherwise it can destroy all your work

harrykim said:
    Noswen said:

since I do not know if this is your final concept, please appologize. If it is not,-  before doing all that with the arms, think on the posing of the girl first, otherwise it can destroy all your work

I'm just trying to keep on modifying it until I run out of time. Trying to copy from a still frame of one of the juggling videos and I'm not seeing anything so badly wrong with it that it destroys the render, though it's certainly not perfectly matched. Could you point me in the right direction?

edited May 2017
    Noswen said:
    harrykim said:
    Noswen said:

I'm just trying to keep on modifying it until I run out of time. Trying to copy from a still frame of one of the juggling videos and I'm not seeing anything so badly wrong with it that it destroys the render, though it's certainly not perfectly matched. Could you point me in the right direction?

ah, I meant not that the render get destroyd, I meant the arm and ball position you are working so hard for is made for nothing , if you .... pose the girl afterwards ;) And because it seemed to me, that you are focused on that, I thought to give you an allert in time.

If it is that you copy a still, all is perfect. Since it was the topic last mounth, why not doing the same ! Post the reference picture. You will find some posing enthusiasts here, coming to a perfect match. But maybe it is already good enough. Then of course I would think on a contrast to the static and concentrated job she do. Means you may need a secon artist or and audiance or a, well a bit more happy environment, ... respectively something what let us know why she is doing juggling ( a practice book for example) ?

Edit: thought again on the environment you have. Could be, that if you give her more space it would expand and relax the whole scene

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2017
    Noswen said:

After trying to look at images on Google of jugglers for a while I instead decided to look at videos on You Tube (thank you quarter speed setting) and promptly realised I had no idea how juggling is actually done, I fell into the mistake common enough to be mentioned on several of the videos that the ball is thrown directly from one hand to the other after being caught from the big loop.

Also just want to say good luck to everyone else, I won't comment on any pictures because I just don't feel confident enough to do so yet.

As an amateur juggler with 30+ years of experience I have to say that this is a gigantic improvement in the posing.  It's super important that the shuolders and upper arms be down and relaxed and the lower arms do all the work or you get tired very quickly when juggling and I'm happy to see that you corrected that, although the throwing hand still looks a little high to me for how low the balls are being thrown unless they are pretty heavy. Very nice improvement - shows how important looking at references are. laugh

Really nice work. smiley

For a little clearer understanding of how the balls move around than you might get wathing actual video, check out this site http://www.libraryofjuggling.com/Tricks/4balltricks/FourBallShower.html  (link goes directly to a common, relatively easy four-ball pattern which I think is the one you are showing in your render).

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Noswen said:

Watching videos of juggling is definitely the way to go.  In this case images are totally inadequate.

I just watched a beginner video on how to juggle 4 balls.  Before adjusting her arms I would make sure her stance is balanced.  It is hard to tell with the image cropped just above the knees but I think her stance needs to be widen slightly.

Adjust the shoulders so the elbows are slightly away from the body.  She needs room to swing her arms.  This may help with the collision you have between the arms and the clothing.

Except for the adjust to the shoulder her right arm looks good (from what I can tell from the video I watched).  Her left arms looks like it should be coming across her body a bit more based on the position in the throw using an asymetrical toss. 

The juggler in the instruction video has his head tilted back quite a bit so his chin and neck are quite prominent.  I think her head needs to be tiled back a bit more so her chin is raised.

This is the video I watched and I had it paused at about 1 min 32 seconds. 

harrykim said:

You have received excellent advice and done some really good work on this image.  I am really liking the expression on the big guys face.

dracorn said:
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    harrykim said:

I like the fog effect here, it really adds to the render.

She's still a little too reflective and it makes her skin look like plastic.  Try toning it down a little more.  Because of the fog, there is no bright light coming in, so those sharp highlights on her skin don't quite make sense.  Keep the fog though - it really looks good. 

I agree with dracorn.  Love the fog effect.  You have really done a great job.

dracorn said:
    sueya said:

I have adjusted the man's hand so that he is holding onto the ladder.

There we go!  That looks good.

Nicely doen sueya.  Getting hands to grab and hold something isn't easy.

I really like the smirk on his face.  Great expression.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2017
    Noswen said:

Watching videos of juggling is definitely the way to go.  In this case images are totally inadequate.

I just watched a beginner video on how to juggle 4 balls.  Before adjusting her arms I would make sure her stance is balanced.  It is hard to tell with the image cropped just above the knees but I think her stance needs to be widen slightly.

Adjust the shoulders so the elbows are slightly away from the body.  She needs room to swing her arms.  This may help with the collision you have between the arms and the clothing.

Except for the adjust to the shoulder her right arm looks good (from what I can tell from the video I watched).  Her left arms looks like it should be coming across her body a bit more based on the position in the throw using an asymetrical toss. 

The juggler in the instruction video has his head tilted back quite a bit so his chin and neck are quite prominent.  I think her head needs to be tiled back a bit more so her chin is raised.

He is doing a different pattern than what @Noswen seems to be showing.  Notice that in Niels' video the balls never cross over from hand to hand but Noswen specifically mentions the ball passing from one hand to the other. That's why I thought it might be the 4-ball shower. There are a lot of different ways of juggling four balls  - I would stick with just one video or you might introduce some weird inconsistencies. smiley

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    harrykim said:

You have received excellent advice and done some really good work on this image.  I am really liking the expression on the big guys face.

that´s nice Kismet, thank you.

edited May 2017
    harrykim said:

I really like the characters, posing and texturing. This is a small thing, but I really hate the prefectly straight edge on that curb. Also the texture of the sidewalk itself has too much contrast for my taste. Maybe reducing the bump map weight on the sidewalk would help, but that curb needs better geometry. Maybe the subdivision surfacing has a higher resolution setting.

MDO2010 said:
    Noswen said:

He is doing a different pattern than what @Noswen seems to be showing.  Notice that in Niels' video the balls never cross over from hand to hand but Noswen specifically mentions the ball passing from one hand to the other. That's why I thought it might be the 4-ball shower. There are a lot of different ways of juggling four balls  - I would stick with just one video or you might introduce some weird inconsistencies. smiley

Excellent point.  As you can tell I do not juggle.

ricswika said:
    harrykim said:

I really like the characters, posing and texturing. This is a small thing, but I really hate the prefectly straight edge on that curb. Also the texture of the sidewalk itself has too much contrast for my taste. Maybe reducing the bump map weight on the sidewalk would help, but that curb needs better geometry. Maybe the subdivision surfacing has a higher resolution setting.

that´s a good advice, since I have already tried to break this straight line with the tiny plants along. Thought it could be enough, but now you brought me to an idea. Well, the sidewalk itself ... you bring it on the spot. I was impressed by the effect I´ve got by increasing the bump that high. For the whole sidewalk it works so good, except the area with the main action. So I did go back to 20 ( what you see is 50 ) and indeed it is still sufficient. But the most important area did appear washed out. I have no idea how to work with subdivision but will find out. Good to know that there are still options

edited May 2017
    harrykim said:
    .I have no idea how to work with subdivision but will find out. Good to know that there are still options

Sometimes, if the designer included it, under Mesh Resolution there is a setting for subdivision that increases the mesh resolution by using subdivision. This will round out square edges. It is a very powerful technique for modeling using a low resolution mesh that later gets 'subdivided' and thereby smoothed and increased in resolution. It is the cornerstone of my workflow in Blender, where you can specify a weight for the amount of subdivision on an edge and thereby control how sharp or smooth the edge becomes when subdivided. That way you only have to move a small set of control points when modeling but you end up with a nice smooth high resolution mesh when finished.

So first, just check if it is already there under Mesh in the editor.

ricswika said:
    harrykim said:
    Sometimes, if the designer included it, under Mesh Resolution there is a setting for subdivision that increases the mesh resolution by using subdivision. This will round out square edges. It is a very powerful technique for modeling using a low resolution mesh that later gets 'subdivided' and thereby smoothed and increased in resolution. It is the cornerstone of my workflow in Blender, where you can specify a weight for the amount of subdivision on an edge and thereby control how sharp or smooth the edge becomes when subdivided. That way you only have to move a small set of control points when modeling but you end up with a nice smooth high resolution mesh when finished.

thanks I will check when return tomorrow. If it is not there, I have already a plan B. I just manipulate the texture file in Gimp. Which is the plan for breaking the edge of the curb too enlightened

Wow, a few comments on my render there, let's try to respond to them all ^_^

@harrykim: Aha, I was at first looking for some horrible and glaring problem with the render that I was overlooking somehow. Still not entirely understanding you, which may well be my newness with rendering. Moving the hands and arms about I would have considered part of the posing, though the moving the balls around each time is extra work. I'm considering it needed at this point as it's still good to practise moving things right now.

The pose isn't even close to perfectly matched yet, so I'm not going to post up the still. Also wasn't sure we could post up still images taken from Youtube.

Hadn't even thought about the environment for this picture beyond having a background so that it didn't look silly. On the slim chance I get happy with the action part of the scene I will give this some more thought.

@MDO2010: Not only can I not juggle but I can barely catch a ball ^^; The pattern I am (badly) showing is not the Four Ball Shower but is http://www.libraryofjuggling.com/Tricks/4balltricks/Fountain.html. The pose still needs more work. Your link does help show it, looping image of the path is useful ^_^ And yes, lesson learned regarding reference materials.

@kismet2012: You found the same video I was watching, though picked a different timestamp for where to pause it. I'll look at adjusting the arms like you said. For the head he seems to be looking at the apex of the balls' arcs to me, so maybe it's more a case that I also need to increase the height of them which MDO2010 also mentioned. Didn't even consider the stance -_-

Also having looked at a few videos may have not helped a great deal.

Sadly won't have a lot of time to work on the render this weekend, but hopefully manage to get some done.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,212
    ricswika said:
    harrykim said:
    .I have no idea how to work with subdivision but will find out. Good to know that there are still options

if it isn't there try Edit>Figure>Geometry>Convert to SubD, or Edit>Object>Geometry>Convert to SubD. Not every mesh will convert well (though fiddling with the SubDivision Algorithm and Edge Interpolation settings under Mesh Resolution can sometimes help).

thats great, thanks so much for your suggestions guys !

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,165

Don't even think of asking where this idea came from, I haven't a clue. What I was trying for was a martian explorer coming up to a giant statue in the middle of a sand storm. The second render has the atmospheric effects hidden to get a clearer idea of scale.

edited May 2017

Don't even think of asking where this idea came from, I haven't a clue. What I was trying for was a martian explorer coming up to a giant statue in the middle of a sand storm. The second render has the atmospheric effects hidden to get a clearer idea of scale.

may2017-4a.png
    800 x 800 - 690K
    may2017-4a2.png
    800 x 800 - 825K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

Interesting Shinji.  The 2 versions are quite different.  One is quite dark and hard to see details.  The other is bright and I can see everything.  I know the first, darker version is your first choice but perhaps something in between?

Do you have any vehicles that would be suitable to this setting?  Even a shadow being cast from a vehicle, or the indistinct form of one in the background

​That´s a very cool effect. Is it a preset ? Since you are usually very fast with your projects, ... a more diffuse shaddow would be nice and (probably) to cut the image that you cannot see the full size of the statue anymore.

edited May 2017

It took a while, but finaly I understood what you have meant regarding the text on the poster @ricswika. It seams my english makes progress. So, sorry for being ignorant.

First of all, with respect to what happened in Manchester, I have decided to move the action of my scene to fantasy somewhere. Although it unfortunately does not do anything better for the people in the UK the days. Heads up

Well, the scene, … Concerning the sidewalk I had to go with plan B, since the prop has no Mesh Resolution manipulator and Richard´s advice to try it under the geometry editor menu made a massive distortion. So I decided better not to continue with this option. However, it´s better then before. Bump hight is down to 3 btw.

Once again I fiddeled with the light. But the longer I work on the scene the more I feel to lose the objective few on it. I don´t know if it make sense, since we all have different monitor setup, but it would be nice if someone would comment the lightning. Thanks

Look Mummy pre final.jpg
    1350 x 1800 - 2M
    edited May 2017

Added in a few vehicles, as well as make him look up at the statue.  The people in the rightmost vehicle are also looking up, but they're hard to see due to the armor they're using.

may2017-4b.png
    800 x 800 - 750K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    harrykim said:

It took a while, but finaly I understood what you have meant regarding the text on the poster @ricswika. It seams my english makes progress. So, sorry for being ignorant.

First of all, with respect to what happened in Manchester, I have decided to move the action of my scene to fantasy somewhere. Although it unfortunately does not do anything better for the people in the UK the days. Heads up

Well, the scene, … Concerning the sidewalk I had to go with plan B, since the prop has no Mesh Resolution manipulator and Richard´s advice to try it under the geometry editor menu made a massive distortion. So I decided better not to continue with this option. However, it´s better then before. Bump hight is down to 3 btw.

Once again I fiddeled with the light. But the longer I work on the scene the more I feel to lose the objective few on it. I don´t know if it make sense, since we all have different monitor setup, but it would be nice if someone would comment the lightning. Thanks

I understand what you mean.  If I work on an image too long I lose sight of what I wanted in the image.  I find leaving it for a few days and possibly working on another image helps.

Your efforts on the sidewalk are showing.  It has improved quite a bit.

I like your lighting setup.  You have made the fighting figures the focus and the bus has become a background element.  In prior images I found the bus a little distractig.  Perhaps the bright colours drawing my eye.  Now it is an element of the streetscape but not competeing with the figures.