License Agreement / 3D printing question

124»

Comments

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Was reading some information [sorry lost the link] indicating that there's a 3D printer company planning to release 3D printers for sale at about USD800, "all over the world" this summer. From the samples it would appear as something that might passable as toys but not treasures.

And some independent vendors are now selling 3D and gaming licenses as a combined license item, for a 2 digit figure per product.

Any links to those independent vendors?

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

bringho said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

One idea, how about if Daz offered a 3D printing service? That way the mesh distribution issue pretty much becomes moot and they would also have a new source of income.

I would be surprised if that's NOT the direction in which they are heading. ;-)

With my limited understanding if legal American/English I beleive that is one way to interpret the current EULA...
    Daz had previously mentioned that they were launching a 3D figure printing service. In fact if I recall correctly that was at the time the Genesis Creature Creator Morphs were being released. If I recall, Lactis(?) I think won a statue of his creature for a prize.

edited December 1969

UHF said:
    bringho said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

One idea, how about if Daz offered a 3D printing service? That way the mesh distribution issue pretty much becomes moot and they would also have a new source of income.

I would be surprised if that's NOT the direction in which they are heading. ;-)

With my limited understanding if legal American/English I believe that is one way to interpret the current EULA...

Daz had previously mentioned that they were launching a 3D figure printing service. In fact if I recall correctly that was at the time the Genesis Creature Creator Morphs were being released. If I recall, Lactis(?) I think won a statue of his creature for a prize.

If I were in their shoes and wanted to optimize my profit I'd probably believe that offering a 3D printing service and make all other attempt to print elsewhere illegal would be in my best interest. :cheese:

I'm quite certain that would not necessarily be the most profitable way forward though as 3D printing of anything created in this store is far from straight forward... :grrr:

On the other hand, that approach would certainly open up an interesting niche for independent artists to create stuff designed to be 3D-printed ;-)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Okay ... the reply on my CS query ... now, let us NOT argue about what was said ... as for me and mine if you catch the drift ...

This language says that you have rights to 3D print per the rights on the product page(s). Since there are no explicit rights to 3D print, there are currently NO rights to 3D print these models.
    In order to GET 3D print rights, the customer would need to contact DAZ.

As to links for independent vendors, well there's a catch 22 ... let's see ... one makes clothing ... so one could print the clothing but as things stand, not the figure they go on.

Plan 2: make our own models.

edited December 1969

Okay ... the reply on my CS query ... now, let us NOT argue about what was said ... as for me and mine if you catch the drift ...

This language says that you have rights to 3D print per the rights on the product page(s). Since there are no explicit rights to 3D print, there are currently NO rights to 3D print these models.

As to links for independent vendors, well there's a catch 22 ... let's see ... one makes clothing ... so one could print the clothing but as things stand, not the figure they go on.

How about a 'Plan 3:' Use a model without the restrictions being discussed here?

How about the Antonia model : http://antonia.bluecho4u3d.com/database/sites/base_figure.htm
    Released for free under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Maybe we who are interested in 3D printing should look that way and start to create meshes designed to be printable for her instead of waisting our time discussing Genesis, it's derivatives and more or less unprintable accessories...

edited December 1969

bringho said:

How about a 'Plan 3:' Use a model without the restrictions being discussed here?

How about the Antonia model : http://antonia.bluecho4u3d.com/database/sites/base_figure.htm
    Released for free under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Maybe we who are interested in 3D printing should look that way and start to create meshes designed to be printable for her instead of waisting our time discussing Genesis, it's derivatives and more or less unprintable accessories...

There's also: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15933/

And this product may be very helpful: http://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited December 1969

bringho said:

...have her as well as Marvelous Designer2 and Blender. Only need Gerabaldi's Hair plugin and all four bases are covered.

• abrak123abrak123 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Haha, I never accepted the new EULA, that means I can 3d-print the daz figures, right???

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

abrak123 said:
    Haha, I never accepted the new EULA, that means I can 3d-print the daz figures, right???

No, the old EULA prohibits it.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited March 2013

Not that I ever intend to make a 3D print of any DAZ stuff- ever, but here is another thing to consider...
    What if you print out a master pattern of a DAZ character, on your own machine that you own... you have whatever license is require to do it that way... ( I only skimmed this thread, so I'm not clear on what the current verdict is in relation to the OP)...

But... Being that it can be a bit time consuming and expensive to make copies using a 3D printer, you decide to make all subsequent copies using resin castings made in silicone moulds... (fairly cheap and quick)... That part of the project is to be subcontracted to a casting shop...

Is that still considered distributing the mesh?
    Technically, unless you have someone who'll cast to aerospace tolerances (which would drive up the cost per copy at least 4-6 times over a "standard" casting job), the concessions made to undercuts and mold seams, linear shrinkage etc, would alter the copies a small percentage... the copies would look the same, but not be exactly what the 3D printer made... the pattern would most definitely require some post work, like filling deep undercuts, some clean up here and there, the adding of sprue posts and probably some form of primer or sealing coat... that pattern will have dimensionally deviated from the specs of the original mesh.

I ask this since in reality, I see more people go the 3D printer for the pattern/Casting for copies, route as opposed to the strictly 3D printing route... especially when the size of the subject part is bigger than 3"x 3"x4" and the copies greater than 10.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited March 2013

Not that I ever intend to make a 3D print of any DAZ stuff- ever, but here is another thing to consider...
    What if you print out a master pattern of a DAZ character, on your own machine that you own... you have whatever license is require to do it that way... ( I only skimmed this thread, so I'm not clear on what the current verdict is in relation to the OP)...

But... Being that it can be a bit time consuming and expensive to make copies using a 3D printer, you decide to make all subsequent copies using resin castings made in silicone moulds... (fairly cheap and quick)... That part of the project is to be subcontracted to a casting shop...

Is that still considered distributing the mesh?
    .... edit ...

Mute point. Nobody has the license for 3D printing anything from the company unless they have contacted the company and made such arrangements. Up 'til now, as far as I know, nothing being sold in the store has an available 3D printing license.
    This includes private printing as per the response quoted in my post somewhere back in this thread.

Edit; my apologies I just reread all that and hadn't posted all of my query that got that response. I had included in my request for information matters concerning private printing. The answer is "no".

Post edited by patience55 on
  • visiblemanvisibleman Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

abrak123 said:

AH...but what if you did NOT accept the previous EULA?

I didn't accept the last one that blocked my purchases and it eventually went away.

What then?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2013

abrak123 said:

I didn't accept the last one that blocked my purchases and it eventually went away.

What then?Then you didn't install any Daz3D content. Each installer asks you to accept an EULA before it installs content; if you tell it no, then it stops without installing.

Post edited by robkelk on
  • visiblemanvisibleman Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    abrak123 said:

What then?Then you didn't install any Daz3D content. Each installer asks you to accept an EULA before it installs content; if you tell it no, then it stops without installing.

My question was in regards to 3d Printing.

If one has NOT signed the agreement before the two recent agreements.

But its all good. I signed it.

SEE YOU IN COURT!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

:cheese:

LOL!

I kidd..I Kidd. ;)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    abrak123 said:

What then?

Then you didn't install any Daz3D content. Each installer asks you to accept an EULA before it installs content; if you tell it no, then it stops without installing.

My question was in regards to 3d Printing.

If one has NOT signed the agreement before the two recent agreements.

Before the EULA's that appeared this year, there was a EULA in every installer, going back to the old Zygote products, that explicitly states that any rights not explicitly granted are withheld.

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And we are still waiting for the 3D print licences ...

Well, I have a friend waiting for me to design some earrings and pendants. I was going to do the character design in D|S. He is getting impatient, as he has been waiting for 2 months. Well, I do have Poser Debut, and there is absolutely nothing in their EULA expressly prohibiting 3D printing of figures, or requiring any special licenses to do so.

For my other 3D print projects, it looks like I will have to learn 3ds Max, Maya and and/or Mudbox. Good thing my previous occupation was as a graphics design software trainer.

Once I have developed a library of high quality 3D printable meshes, I will be sure to make them available for free and post the download link. The only stipulation in the license will be that they are not to be used for 2D rendering since DAZ already has that covered.

This may take a year or two, (maybe more, who knows) so, so don't hold your breath.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited December 1969

...I'd still like to have a mini figure of my namesake for RPG purposes.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

I already posted this information once before, but since nobody really seems to have responded to it there, I thought it would be good to seek responses here. Has anyone seen these links?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23365

http://3dprinterhub.com/3D-Design/DAZ-3D

The first link is to an article that talks about one person’s use of the Base V-4.2 model and a reported discussion with a representative of DS. The second link is to an apparent ad that promotes choosing Daz 3d for the very purpose of printing 3D models. I’m not sure about the legality of commercial use, but the two links are interesting.

Can anyone shed light on the second link in particular? Just curious.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

And we are still waiting for the 3D print licences ...

Well, I have a friend waiting for me to design some earrings and pendants. I was going to do the character design in D|S. He is getting impatient, as he has been waiting for 2 months. Well, I do have Poser Debut, and there is absolutely nothing in their EULA expressly prohibiting 3D printing of figures, or requiring any special licenses to do so.

For my other 3D print projects, it looks like I will have to learn 3ds Max, Maya and and/or Mudbox. Good thing my previous occupation was as a graphics design software trainer.

Once I have developed a library of high quality 3D printable meshes, I will be sure to make them available for free and post the download link. The only stipulation in the license will be that they are not to be used for 2D rendering since DAZ already has that covered.

This may take a year or two, (maybe more, who knows) so, so don't hold your breat

A word of advice: just because the EULA for Poser Debut does not state it, doesn't mean you have carte blanche. Not long ago, there was nothing in the DAZ EULA prohibiting 3D printing. To avoid legal complications which you and your friend may not be able to afford, I would suggest contacting SMS and getting something in writing from them.

It is best to go by what is stated you can do in an EULA than assume because it doesn't state it, you can.

edited December 1969

The first link is to an article that talks about one person’s use of the Base V-4.2 model and a reported discussion with a representative of DS. The second link is to an apparent ad that promotes choosing Daz 3d for the very purpose of printing 3D models. I’m not sure about the legality of commercial use, but the two links are interesting.

Can anyone shed light on the second link in particular? Just curious.

The site is just providing an editorial. The author likes DAZ software and has suggested that it would be good for making 3D printable models. The author doesn't appear to be an authorized rep. from DAZ, so while their opinion may be valid, their suggestion to use 3D print services for DAZ model making could get one into deep trouble.

With regards to the first link, if you follow the rest of the posts, you can see that it takes quite a while to generate a poor quality model and that the current capabilities of Makerbot and similar printers do not allow for a finely detailed model. The poster was providing instructions on how to do this model at home, on one's own equipment and didn't distribute the mesh. That should keep them out of trouble with DAZ.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,352
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited December 1969

As I understand it:

DAZ and the PAs spend a LOT of time developing content. They don't want this content distributed freely in the public domain. This is entirely understandable. By allowing the mesh files to be distributed to 3D print services, there is the VERY slight risk that these services could accidentally allow the files to be re-distributed. Slight risk is still risk, hence the reason for a 3D print license. Also, there may be some paranoia that the mesh files could be extracted from the printed 3D models. I believe that it would be difficult to extract mesh files for several reasons, such as understanding what a 3D printer can do and the modifications that are required to produce a printable mesh.

Hobby 3D printers such as Makerbot, PrintRBot, Solidoodle, etc offer layer thicknesses of 0.1mm. While people may think that is a very thin layer, it is actually pretty thick.

Top quality commercial 3D printers (starting around $80K and going up from there) can provide layer thicknesses of 0.016mm. At that level, details such as eyelashes can be seen on the models.

So, hobby printers lack the accuracy and detail level to produce a high quality model, and even the top quality commercial 3D printers have layer thicknesses that would be too thick to provide an optimal scan. Keep in mind that a scanner capable of providing 0.001mm accuracy would cost over $50K.

And then, there are the mesh changes that are required to produce a good model. When preparing a DAZ model for 3D printing, there will be several errors created. These errors will need to be corrected. Correcting errors will alter the mesh so that it is no longer the same mesh as originally designed.

This means that there should be no concerns over 3D models being scanned and having the mesh reverse engineered, it would be easier to create a new mesh from scratch.

It should also be noted that the bulk of DAZ content is not appropriate for 3D printing. That is to say, the models are not designed for 3D printing. There will be errors. Lots of errors. Errors that can't be easily or quickly repaired. Most hair, much of the clothing and virtually all of the props are not suitable for 3D printing.

What works? Nude, bald models, cartoon hair (usually), tight pants, shorts, shirts, flat shoes. And by "works" I mean you only have 1,000 to 30,000 errors to deal with.

So, while I really want to see availability of licencing for 3D printable models, it is understandable why DAZ has not posted any pricing yet. As one PA told me, "This is a niche market of a niche market". Trying to get all the PAs on board for this, and trying to develop a unified pricing level would take a long time.

I could see a hobby license @ $100 (for the production of up to 500 models), a small biz license for $500 (production of up to 5000 models) and a big biz license for $2500 (unlimited production).

I imagine that when license types and pricing is posted, there will be a lot of initial interest. I know I will be interested in seeing postings of what the resulting models look like.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,352
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

With regards to the first link, if you follow the rest of the posts, you can see that it takes quite a while to generate a poor quality model and that the current capabilities of Makerbot and similar printers do not allow for a finely detailed model. The poster was providing instructions on how to do this model at home, on one's own equipment and didn't distribute the mesh. That should keep them out of trouble with DAZ.

I see the article says this:

"We have to go round-about this way to avoid violating the copyright on the Victoria 4.2 Base model. I cannot post the raw .stl directly on Thingiverse because it was derived in part from Victoria, and the TOU forbids distributing derivative meshes. But the differences against the Victoria 4.2 .obj (the .pcf) can be distributed. This technique has been in use in the Poser community for quite some time to Daz' satisfaction. Many thanks to Ratteler for pointing this technique out, otherwise the model would have had to be removed from Thingiverse entirely."

So something -is- in fact being distributed, but not the actual model/mesh of V 4.2. I'm not sure I agree about the quality of the model shown in the images being poor. It actually looks pretty good to me.

In any event, I do appreciate your insightful response. Thank you.