Proffer your Prefrence: Big texture packs or small texture packs?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited April 2017 in The Commons

I'm curious...For something like a texture pack for an outfit...say a dress,  would you prefer  a single pack (say 6 variations for $10) vs 2 smaller ones (2 packs, each 3 for $5)?

(I'm talking coneptually, don't use those numbers as true guides, basicaly for X price, 1 set with all, or 2 sets with half each)

EDITED TO ADD: Please don't add options to this that aren't there.  It's one or the other...no special bundle combining 2 smaller packs.

Nor is this thread designed to explore if you like or don't like add on sets.

Post edited by Scavenger on

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

In theory, the bigger pack would get a 'bulk discount'. So, the bigger pack.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    Toonces said:

Uhm... That wasn't an option in this ...the bigger isn't 2 sets together. it's a one or another type option is what's being polled here :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

I don't usually purchase an addon texture pack. If it is by the same artist that did the product, I feel it should be included with the product.

• I've just started, so bigger packs, with a better deal on prices is good OR you could do several smaller packs but do a mega bundle to hit both markets.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

With the same cost per texture, it wouldn't make much difference if I wanted all the textures. Where it would make a difference is if I really liked the 3 textures in one pack and didn't like the textures in the other pack. In that case I would buy just the one pack, saving me money but reducing the PA's profit. So multiple smaller packs would be good for customers on a budget, but bad for the PA's profits.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    Zylox said:

With the same cost per texture, it wouldn't make much difference if I wanted all the textures. Where it would make a difference is if I really liked the 3 textures in one pack and didn't like the textures in the other pack. In that case I would buy just the one pack, saving me money but reducing the PA's profit. So multiple smaller packs would be good for customers on a budget, but bad for the PA's profits.

Ditto.

• seeker273seeker273 Posts: 449

It depends on the number of textures in the pack and the variety. I wouldn't buy an expansion pack with 2 textures especially if, as in some cases, the difference is just a change in the main color. If they trully are different and change the outfit significantly then I'd prefer the smaller packs.

If the price is truly cut in half and not blown up just because they are different packs, than it's best in my opinion to be able to choose the ones you really like or both.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

One large set

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    Scavenger said:
    Toonces said:

Uhm... That wasn't an option in this ...the bigger isn't 2 sets together. it's a one or another type option is what's being polled here :)

I think Toonces was saying the single pack is the bigger one one because it has more stuff, and that is my vote too.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

Are you asking if it's worth making more textures for a big pack v. doing less for a small pack?  Or selling both large and small sets at those prices?

I'd normally be more tempted by a single great texture in a pack (v. a bunch of variations) so the cheaper option with fewer textures would grab me.

Having said that, it depends on what they are textures for.  I've got loads of textures for the MFD, but a leather-armour set might need something more special to set it apart.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919
    Scavenger said:
    Toonces said:

I think Toonces was saying the single pack is the bigger one one because it has more stuff, and that is my vote too.

Haha, yeh I'd always go with the 'single pack' option. I realize there's no 'bulk discount' but psychologically, I always imagine it's a slightly better deal for some reason.

Plus, also psychologically, there's the completionist factor supporting the single pack option. A lot of us are completionists. If we buy an outfit, we add all the textures to our wishlists. :)

Scavenger said:
    Toonces said:

But technically, the big set contains the same as the 2 small sets together, and for the same total price, as I understand you?

I think the 2 set option would be the obvious choice, for in case you don't like any of the textures in one of the sets you just skip that set and save $5. That might also be good for the seller for if there are only 2 textures in the 6x set the buyer likes, s/he might skip the whole thing, while if these two textures are available in a $5 set it might be worth buying it. In other words, more options.

"Create your own texture bundle" would probably be the most popular, and also give seller a clue about which types of textures that sell best in general. Could be with a discount increasing proportionally with the number of textures chosen. It does require a store which has such a bundle feature though.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

Personally, I prefer the smaller packs, within reason. In your examples given, that is a good size. I might be a bit more frustrated with trying to find all the add ons for a product in the store (or miss one) if you split that into 6 separate products, for instance.

That said, it does seem from the forums that there is the perception that the price is higher when items are in separate packs, even if the total price would have been the same if they were combined. So I wouldn't pass on the pack of 6 unless there was really only 1 additional texture I wanted.

Personally, I prefer the smaller packs, within reason. In your examples given, that is a good size. I might be a bit more frustrated with trying to find all the add ons for a product in the store (or miss one) if you split that into 6 separate products, for instance.

Well with a "bundle feature" you could have all the textures on the same product page, you just check a checkbox for each one you want. The store then handles the rest automatically.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

If the large pack is the same value as the two smaller ones, then I prefer the two smaller ones.  Makes it easier on the budget to space out the purchases.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    Scavenger said:
    Toonces said:

My point for the scope of the question is merely "All else being equal", 2 small vs 1 large.  When you add a bundle discount, that skews those results, especially if we're talking in the $10 price range.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I'd prefer one large pack to having to get multiple smaller packs or having to choose between the smaller packs.  Assuming the price per item is the same (or slightly less for bundle), I would likely always get the larger set. 

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2017

I would prefer two smaller packs. If I don't want all of the textures,
    I save $5.00, if I do want them all, I pay the same as if they were
    all in one set. So why would I want to be limited to one large pack?

Seriously, the customer doesn't lose anything by having two smaller
    packs available, but could gain savings.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • I don't usually purchase an addon texture pack. If it is by the same artist that did the product, I feel it should be included with the product.

In theory, it sounds good, but in practice it tends to inflate the number of images that would need to be loaded on the page, if you go by DAZ's promo image requirements.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2017

Two smaller packs for me. I'm more likely to buy if I see even just one texture I really like if the cost is low, but unless there are multiple ones I really want then a higher cost pack tends to discourage me.  Interestingly, assuming each set had about five texture sets I might buy both packs if they each have one really good texture set that I love (with some others I'm not so crazy about) but probably wouldn't buy one big set (same price as the two together) if it just had two textures that I really liked out the ten total.  Irrationale but somehow pricing occasionally makes us so.

Post edited by grinch2901 on