►►► ....and, all links lead to the EULA!

Comments

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Prior to the changeover to zips for the DIM you agreed to the EULA every time you ran a DAZ 3D installer, which was after both purchase and donwloading.

Key words here are AFTER DOWNLOADING.

Now I have products that I purchased and can no longer download. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's not entirely legal to change the terms AFTER I've purchased something.

Why all the resistance to putting this new EULA in the purchase process, I mean we keep being told that the changes in the new EULA "if anything give you MORE freedom". If that's true, why make us agree to new terms to access old purchases?

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited February 2013

cimaira said:

Why all the resistance to putting this new EULA in the purchase process, I mean we keep being told that the changes in the new EULA "if anything give you MORE freedom". If that's true, why make us agree to new terms to access old purchases?

The explanation given to us is that because old purchases will be remade into new installers and the format of new installers requires new EULA. And if sort of make sense when they will be repackaged (currently they aren't).
    But BS part of it is to demand to delete perfectly workable backups of old _exe_ installers _with EULA in them_.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

jmper said:
    Just put the new EULA as part of checkout, make it another step you have to agree to prior to purchase.

I am not using DIM. I could care less about DIM yet the answer to fix an issue with DIM affects me.

Same here I have no plans to use the DIM. But apparently putting the EULA as part of the purchase process is not seen as an option. DAZ can you say compromise?? This way you get your new EULA and customers can access their old purchases without all this drama!

edited February 2013

But apparently putting the EULA as part of the purchase process is not seen as an option.

Why? It isn't a format issue of zip files. I'm buying a pdf book (which I can open _right now_ after purchase), I still can sign EULA/Terms and Conditions on purchase and this is PDF! What can be simpler than pdf aside of plain text?
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    cimaira said:

The explanation given to us is that because old purchases will be remade into new installers and the format of new installers requires new EULA. And if sort of make sense when they will be repackaged (currently they aren't).
    But BS part of it is to demand to delete perfectly workable backups of old _exe_ installers _with EULA in them_.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but how does repackaging a product change the EULA? If they are going to zips, add an EULA in the zip or keep a copy of the old EULA on file. THAT is what I purchased, no matter how I install it. I just don't like having to agree to a NEW EULA to access my old purchases, that is my main complaint.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    But apparently putting the EULA as part of the purchase process is not seen as an option.

Why? It isn't a format issue of zip files. I'm buying a pdf book (which I can open _right now_ after purchase), I still can sign EULA/Terms and Conditions on purchase and this is PDF! What can be simpler than pdf aside of plain text?

I have no idea why it wouldn't be an option.
    But so far all the responses from Mods/Admins and such have seemed to indicate that this is NOT an option and will not happen. Guess the store software can't handle that quirk either.

edited December 1969

My main complain is that they deny us the right to use a perfectly EULA-ed exes from backups if we don't comply. And yes, accessing the previously purchased content as well.

New EULA must have power only for new content by default. New EULA maybe more liberating for users to use, but it should be a choice in regard of the previously purchased content, not the only choice.

edited February 2013

cimaira said:
    Kattey said:

I have no idea why it wouldn't be an option.
    But so far all the responses from Mods/Admins and such have seemed to indicate that this is NOT an option and will not happen. Guess the store software can't handle that quirk either.

This is what you get for using eCommerce engine which is an anagram to EVIL MUTANT MASTERMIND! (i.e. Magento = Magneto)
    No good will come from it. No good.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So now if I want to download an older product I have to agree to this new EULA - hey daz why not pull my shorts down, and bend me over while your at it

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

cimaira said:
    jmper said:
    Just put the new EULA as part of checkout, make it another step you have to agree to prior to purchase.

I am not using DIM. I could care less about DIM yet the answer to fix an issue with DIM affects me.

Same here I have no plans to use the DIM. But apparently putting the EULA as part of the purchase process is not seen as an option. DAZ can you say compromise?? This way you get your new EULA and customers can access their old purchases without all this drama!

My concern with this idea is that they might change the EULA at any time and you'd have to read it every single time you purchase something. On other sites, the EULA is in an easy to find spot, you can read it when ever you want to. And they tell you that by purchasing and using a product you agree to the terms in the EULA. Perhaps they can make you click on Agree the first time you are about to purchase something (as part of the checkout process), allow you to download the EULA if you like, and then not present it again unless it changes, at which time they can rinse and repeat.

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    cimaira said:

Actually, whether it is in an .EXE installer or a .ZIP file, it doesn't matter. The agreement is for the use of the product, not the packaging. If you have already purchased the product in the past, which came with its own EULA, then that EULA should not be replaced...the original EULA should be packaged in the new zip file at best.

Dana

edited February 2013

DanaTA said:
    Kattey said:
    cimaira said:

Actually, whether it is in an .EXE installer or a .ZIP file, it doesn't matter. The agreement is for the use of the product, not the packaging. If you have already purchased the product in the past, which came with its own EULA, then that EULA should not be replaced...the original EULA should be packaged in the new zip file at best.

Dana
    I don't think they'd be able to put old EULA into new zips, because as you said, EULA is tied up to the time of purchase. So basically they will have to keep a separate version of the zip for _all_ EULAs that were in action since that product went live for _each product_ and then link that specific zip to the specific purchase for _all_ their customers. And this is a TON of work, even if they automate that process somehow which I don't think is possible (because they can't even put end sale dates into store yet).

For example, if I bought V3 three years ago under old EULA I'll have to get a zip to V3 with old EULA. If I bought V3 right now, I"ll have to get the same V3 zip but with new EULA. Which would be correct thing to do but extremely man-hours expensive from DAZ3D side.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • edited December 1969

I am very glad to see specific in Paragraph E of the EULA, covering 3D printing. Good.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

European users shouldn't be overly concerned. The EU parliament made very clear a while back that an EULA can't be made retrospective, especially where the terms leave the user in a weaker position than before. This, like many areas of a software licence, falls under the grounds of what some call a "fairness" test.

If the fairness test is failed, then the EULA becomes null and void and the (paying) customer can still continue to use the software. However this doesn't give the user cart blanch to do as they please, they still have to abide by the general spirit of the contract.

Theres a similar thing with the concept of "reasonable expectation". This is where a customer buys on the assumption they could use the item in a particular way. For example 3d printing is commonplace, so a term that precludes a customer from that maybe considered as unreasonable. Whereas a term that said an additional payment, say game licensing, wouldn't be unreasonable.

It's also important to note that resale of digital products is allowed under EU law. Plus these EU Directive and Rulings apply to software regardless of whatever country it's purchased from.

Note the above only applies to EUROPEAN customers. But US consumers might find similar conditions exists under American law.

Of course this actually assumes a customer will abide by a TOS. There I think plain truth is we'll tick the little box to get our toys and then do exactly what we want. For which some folks includes sharing. Which is likely to increase when companies attempt to legalise things for their benefit, and not the customers.

edited February 2013

Well, I'm not in Europe or USA, and I really wish to respect DAZ3D EULA but I also don't intent to lose 5+ years of downloaded content just because new EULA leaves me no choice and is somewhat illegal.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited December 1969

Well, I for one am glad I have copies of originals on an external, a DVD and a online cloud storage box. I won't be needing to sign some new EULA if my PC croaks on me, or at least that is the hope when making redundant copies

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

jmper said:
    I still want unobstructed access to my account please.

Me too, please.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

And what of us who bought products just hours before the new EULA was announced but hadn't downloaded yet only to suddenly find the terms had changed? Which version of the license do we fall under? This is really confusing, not to mention a right pain.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    And what of us who bought products just hours before the new EULA was announced but hadn't downloaded yet only to suddenly find the terms had changed? Which version of the license do we fall under? This is really confusing, not to mention a right pain.

If you haven't downloaded it, then you haven't agreed to any EULA yet.

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Other sites use zips to deliver their products, with the license agreement inside. Granted they don't make you read and accept the license agreement but I'm pretty sure it is implied that if I install and use the content purchased from their site that I agree to their license agreement.

Why can't that line be added to the Daz license agreement that instillation and use of the purchased content implies acceptance of the license agreement, and then you don't have to force people to accept the user agreement on the site before they download?

This would grant open access to items, and with those people who don't plan on using the DIM to make their downloads they would not feel as if they're being put out unecessarily.

Or why not have it as part of the DIM? As the program goes to download and install the content have it bring up the license agreement and have the person click to accept.

This keeps it out of the store, and keeps people from feeling they are being denied access to what they purchased.

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

On this note, I think you will find us just as willing for these specific types of exceptions when asked as we have always been. This Eula Change is to open things up more and address some changes in the world. It is overall less restrictive than our old one. It is surprising that there have been objections to accepting a less restrictive EULA in favor of keeping the older more restrictive one.

Kattey said:
    DAZ_Kevin said:
    This was a Project based EXCEPTION, not a EULA Change. The EULA is pretty much the same as before. Letting your kids use your content in your home, or on your computer has not changed at all. As was noted, the NEW EULA is LESS restrictive than the old EULA.
    Yes, thank you, Kevin, it was an exception, and I remember it very fondly as the whole M4 Wiki project was probably the happiest time of my life here on DAZ3D.

Maybe I'm not remembering right about household there. I looked into older EULAs and I don't see much of wording changed there. My apologies.

Can you please also clarify the whole "physical" thing aspect?
    “Physical images ... of Content or any art derived from the Content is permitted only by User’s purchase from DAZ, via the User’s online DAZ store account, permission to deliver User’s derived works (art), including necessary Content, to an entity that creates 3D-images in a physical medium. ....These limitations govern (i) personal and/or commercial use of the physical, printed images; and (ii) the quantity of 3-D printed images allowed”.
    What it is about, what license meant and what about quantity?

OK I have some answers for you:

From Steve Spencer:

There have been several questions raised about the new EULA. Specifically:

- The 7 day Warranty:
    DAZ EULA's have always included a 7 day Warranty. The Warranty is different than our return policy. Our policy has not changed in this respect.

- User vs. Household licenses of software:
    DAZ EULA's have always granted a license to a single user. This is not a change. We have actually expanded the licensing by allowing multiple computers and physical locations for the user.

- Language requiring the removal of previous content if the EULA is not accepted:
    We will be revising this EULA to remove these statements.

I think that catches most of the main questions though if there are others not answered here or if you need more clarification, please let me know :)

Re-posting to be sure this isn't missed :)

Thank you, Ann, I hope that new EULA will address that unacceptable aspect of itself in a better way.
  • DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Considering the NEW one is less restrictive, I would think you would want to fall under that one. I don't know why anyone would want to stay with the older, more restrictive EULA instead. It just doesn't make sense. So unless you want to be restricted by the old one instead, you can just agree to the new one, and then that will apply and move on.

Byrdie said:
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited February 2013

I might have accepted the new agreement if I still trusted DAZ to do the right thing. Maybe once upon a time I did, but after the blatant threats in this latest EULA... no.

Edit: Kevin, I trust you mean well, but you must admit that it would be rather foolish to take legal advice from the opposing party in a legal dispute.

(Please excuse me if the terminology isn't entirely correct. English is not my native language, and I am not a lawyer.)

Post edited by araneldon on
  • DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    I might have accepted the new agreement if I still trusted DAZ to do the right thing. Maybe once upon a time I did, but after the blatant threats in this latest EULA... no.

Edit: Kevin, I trust you mean well, but you must admit that it would be rather foolish to take legal advice from the opposing party in a legal dispute.

(Please excuse me if the terminology isn't entirely correct. English is not my native language, and I am not a lawyer.)

The section about the deleting content and non-acceptance was marked to be removed from it a few revisions back, but a mistake was made along the way and it got skipped over and accidentally got pushed up to the store. That has since been revised and removed.
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited February 2013

Why is my issue being ignored in this thread? I have already mentioned several times MY issue is NOT with the new EULA.... I am having a problem with not being able to access my account for purchases I have already made under the policies that were in place at the time of my purchase. We have not been given any notice of any policy changes that were going to take place and we were not given an option to opt out... this is NOT right. I don't care how you try to paint it. There is no excuse for locking me out of my account and I have asked nicely several times now...

I will try again...

Please grant me access to my account.

Thank you.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2013

DAZ_Jon said:
    araneldon said:

The section about the deleting content and non-acceptance was marked to be removed from it a few revisions back, but a mistake was made along the way and it got skipped over and accidentally got pushed up to the store. That has since been revised and removed.

Accidents and other inc...er... inaccuracies seem to swarm around DAZ like fruitflys around a rotten bananna. Some people are beginning to smell it. It might smell sweet but it's still sticky goo.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2013

-offers Jasmine a cookie-

chohole said:
    Prior to the changeover to zips for the DIM you agreed to the EULA every time you ran a DAZ 3D installer, which was after both purchase and donwloading.
    And I was glad to do it, because the EULA only applied the the content I was actually installing.

I'm noticing DAZ has kept incredibly quiet about whether or not they're going to stop attempting to force people into new agreements by holding their property [my store credit darn well is property even if you could argue otherwise about 'access to downloads'] hostage. Quite sorry about this, too. I'm pretty sure all the content I'll have to return because I can't get to it is PA content - wish to god it had been DAZ's so the vendors wouldn't have to suffer from the return, or put up with my asking after alternative access.

DAZ_Jon said:

Thanks! A tiny step closer to acceptability.

Considering the NEW one is less restrictive, I would think you would want to fall under that one. I don't know why anyone would want to stay with the older, more restrictive EULA instead. It just doesn't make sense. So unless you want to be restricted by the old one instead, you can just agree to the new one, and then that will apply and move on.
    Let me reiterate something here since either it's not getting across, or is being deliberately ignored.

I have no problem with the EULA terms in general. I have a problem with the fact that you are attempting to force retroactive alterations to previous legally binding agreements gverning other purchases, downloads, and installs. I'll point out the following quote in particular, though there are other sections.

"This End User License Agreement (“EULA”) is the agreement that governs User’s use of software, applications, images, figures, models, 3D mesh, geometry, systems, information, documentation, and the like (“Content”) obtained, consumed, or interacted with via User’s online DAZ store account."

Now, this in itself, while a bit underhanded, seems plenty within your rights as far as I'm concerned - you can run your business and your new licensing in such a way if you want to. If you decide you won't sell me anything else until I rewrite all my previous legally binding agreements with you, so be it. I'll simply not buy anything.

The problem here is that you are denying me access to my property. I'm not specifically talking about downloads - since you can well argue not being able to download things after purchase falls under content not performing correctly and I should simply return them. I'm talking about my hundred-plus US dollars worth of store credit, all given to you within the past 30 days, payment in goods or services which you owe me, and yet are refusing to allow me to use unless I alter previous legally binding agreements. That's a pretty untenable position.

If the EULA isn't rewritten in such a way that it only applies to content bought or downloaded after agreeing, or made optional [or both - hey, I would have accepted the new EULA as it stands if it were voluntary as I have no problem with the actual terms], I will be expecting a refund of my current store credit to my bank account, PayPal account, or credit card, whichever is simplest for you. I'll also be returning every item I was unable to download plus any plugins I expect to be broken by updates, with an attempt to pick them up from alternate sources so as not to hurt the vendors, terminating my Platinum Club membership, and not shopping at DAZ3D again until acceptable changes are made.

Again. I have no problem with most updates to the EULA. We were well overdue for many of them. This is a matter of principle. The difference between walking into a furniture store where the new owner says "hey, just so you know, we have a new policy about the display of items bought here" and finding a note on one's doorstep reading "if you want to see your table again..." in letters chopped from magazine pages.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

jmper said:

It doesn't effect you today, perhaps, but in the future all products will be in zip files since the exe's are going away so you'd have to agree with the new EULA anyway. DIM or not you will be downloading zips.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 1969

Why is my issue being ignored in this thread? I have already mentioned several times MY issue is NOT with the new EULA.... I am having a problem with not being able to access my account for purchases I have already made under the policies that were in place at the time of my purchase. We have not been given any notice of any policy changes that were going to take place and we were not given an option to opt out... this is NOT right. I don't care how you try to paint it. There is no excuse for locking me out of my account and I have asked nicely several times now...

I will try again...

Please grant me access to my account.

Thank you.

I hear you, and agree. I try to go to my itemized order list (as frustratingly obtuse as it is) just to see what I've purchased in the past and has nothing to do with downloading or installing, and am blocked by an agreement I must sign affecting all future downloads.

The villagers have burned the front gate and gotten the worst of the ridiculous wording removed but still, this whole debacle was very poorly thought out and executed. Typical. And we're expected to embrace the new download manager contraption brought to you by the same folks?

As my father used to say: "Trust is easily given, once."

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

It does affect us today, I cant reset or get any old downloads untill I am forced to accept this new EULA, so they are withholding my purchases which I have paid for to me that is blackmail, sign this or you can't get things you have paid for, I would have said extortion but think that was a bit too much.

What sort of people do they have at Daz if, a version of the EULA was supposed to have things removed from it and yet that version was the one that went live?

Post edited by None on
This discussion has been closed.