How do I achieve clear renders with Iray?

wwwMyCrapOrgwwwMyCrapOrg Posts: 10

I've been rendering a lot lately and my renders can take up to ten hours at the most and still come out grainy. I noticed that a few people say it may be due to lighting, but I used preset lighting from HI-Key Studio for Iray and my render still came out grainy. I even used D-Render Studio HIGH from Render Studio Iray. I'm guessing it's because I'm not using the best driver because my computer isn't made for this type of thing. If that is true, how can I adjust my settings to get at least a decent nonfuzzy render. If that's not the problem, then what is? 

Below are three renders that I waited hours for. The first I created using HI-Key Studio preset lighting, and D-Render Studio HIGH. The other two I created using basic distant lights, and D-Render Studio High. 

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity
pink.png
474 x 603 - 432K
water.png
474 x 603 - 492K
Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• You need to post your computer specs.

• pdspds Posts: 593

There are a lot of things that can bog down a render ("too many" emissive shaders, "too heavy" of a scene, underlit scenes, insufficient VRAM or CUDA cores on a GPU...), so maybe you can share a bit more about not just your system, but also your typical scene and your render settings. 

From what I've gathered across a multitude of posts here, all else being equal, IRay gives the best results when it has an optimal amount of lighting in the scene to work with. That doesn't mean you can't have darker scenes, but to get good clean renders under such circumstances requires using tone mapping settings. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Wel if you are CPU rendering like I do I can tell you for most renders 10 hours is not enough. Think more like 72 hours or above 70% converged; of course converving to 95% or above is better (but not 100%)

• pds said:

There are a lot of things that can bog down a render ("too many" emissive shaders, "too heavy" of a scene, underlit scenes, insufficient VRAM or CUDA cores on a GPU...), so maybe you can share a bit more about not just your system, but also your typical scene and your render settings. 

From what I've gathered across a multitude of posts here, all else being equal, IRay gives the best results when it has an optimal amount of lighting in the scene to work with. That doesn't mean you can't have darker scenes, but to get good clean renders under such circumstances requires using tone mapping settings. 

You need to post your computer specs.

I guess there's a policy on certain pictures since the pictures I've attached are gone. But I attached another. I usually try to render rooms with a single figure,but they are pretty big rooms most of the time. The one below isn't one of those and it's still kind of fuzzy. My processor is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2117U @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz with an installed memory of (RAM) of 4.00 GB (3.87 GB useable). My system type is a 64-bit Operating System. I don't know if that will help.

pink.png
    474 x 603 - 432K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

Wait, you have 4 GB of CPU RAM?

That's... kind of limited, as I understand it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Yes I would say you deifintely need more RAM.     I thought my PC was quite low spec compared to what some are using as it was built back in 2012, and even I have 8GB

• Chohole said:

Yes I would say you deifintely need more RAM.     I thought my PC was quite low spec compared to what some are using as it was built back in 2012, and even I have 8GB

Wait, you have 4 GB of CPU RAM?

That's... kind of limited, as I understand it.

Yeah I'm not big on computer tech so when I bought it I completely forgot to look at the system. I really should have looked around more.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

As far as ram/vram is concerned you only need to resize textures down to fit the scene in your memory. Of course the more ram/vram and the faster cpu/gpu the better for texture quality and rendering time. Also the final resolution is limited by the available vram for the frame buffer.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/158961/11-gb-vram-insufficient-for-5-characters-for-iray-rendering

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/157401/iray-failed-to-allocate-device-frame-buffer

• Padone said:

As far as ram/vram is concerned you only need to resize textures down to fit the scene in your memory. Of course the more ram/vram and the faster cpu/gpu the better for texture quality and rendering time. Also the final resolution is limited by the available vram for the frame buffer.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/158961/11-gb-vram-insufficient-for-5-characters-for-iray-rendering

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/157401/iray-failed-to-allocate-device-frame-buffer

Thanks alot. I'll try that out.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

I think you're fortunate to get any renders in any time with your current specs.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

As the others have mentioned, with only 4G there will be a lot of disk drive swapping in order to manage the memory required by D|S and the render. Your CPU is also fairly anemic.

So, and since you don't appear to have a nVidia graphics card with CUDA cores to speed up the render, most anything you do will take a very long time, very likely exceeding the 2 hour default time-limit before Iray unilaterally stops the render (you can over ride this of course).

The cheapest improvement you can make is more RAM. I'd get at least 8G, 16G would be better. It's pretty cheap these days. After that, anything else is going to run into money/upgrade skills. You could probably upgrade the CPU on your motherboard, but a PC that uses a Pentium is going to be pretty old, and your choices likely limited and probably not all that helpful. Would be better overall to just change the motherboard altogether.

I've worked with computers since the late 70s, but hate working on them, so what I do when I need a better computer is go through the local Craiglist and find something used. My current machine is a Dell Precision dual processor Xeon wotkstation (original cost something outlandish like $5K). Cost me $225 plus a drive into town to pick it up, plus I spent another $30 (incuding shipping) for 16 gigabytes of used RAM.

I will tell you that the current Dell replaced one I BURNED OUT with long renders. Even a server workstation like the Dell's just weren't made to run the CPU at 100% for hours and even days at a time. If you must use the machine for renders, keep this in mind. 

• I found another option instead. I had forgotten I had Photoshop. With a little editing, I fixed the fuzziness. Even though it's not the highest qualityI'm fine with it.Daz is just a little hobby so I doubt I'd be spending any money on adding to my computer. I figured the problem was that it wasn't the best. Thanks for the replies again!

Anime Pink.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Anime Pink edit.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Yes if you don't have a geforce card iray can be hard to use at all .. not so bad rendering though !!