Need idiot proof toon shader/render tut, esp for four listed...

IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
edited April 2017 in The Commons

Sketchy - Toon Edge and Art Style Shaders for Iray

Skunkville Noir

Visual Style Shaders

pwToon

I've got tools, including PS whatever come w/ CS6, and years of doing stuff on the low end pro side, but I really wnt to bump up my skill set with doing comic and toon style scenes. I do animations, but the software for thar is from one of my cliets and I am NDA all over on it.

So, DAZ Studio 4.9 pro and the 4 listed. Any tutorials that are easy for a old guy who drinks?
NSFW example (still in TOS and rulles here though) of what I do in Photoshop and DS4.9

night tink 02.jpg
482 x 799 - 101K
Post edited by Ikyoto on

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Can't help with the tutorials cos I don't have a clue, but just wanted to say, DAMN, that is GORGEOUS and I think I want a tutorial from YOU on how to achieve that!!! :)

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I am a novice level user of PW toon but I have fiddled with it a fair bit trying to get some backgrounds for a comic book that I am helping doing background for. For me the tricky bit is getting decent lining that isn't too bold without having there be a lack of any detail in the lines. In the end, I had to set up multi pass of a variety of styles to be composed later to get the sort of effect we were looking for. I actually do a black and white line pass (I modified the blue and line to white) a AO pass (I use Iray for that just because it is less work for me) and then a color pass. My best suggestion is that you try some of the presets and just poke at them to see what they do and if they move you closer to the look you want.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited May 2017

The trouble with that is that my own Skunkville Noir package, for example, has very few presets included, and those it does have are tweaks against shader-specific values for particular subset effects:  I'd burned myself out doing the Mephistopolis presets and every single rendered icon, only to see a seemingly overpriced and overstuffed package flounder on takeoff, and I was hammering it together to make the Callie 6 launch.  But that being said, what do you need to know?

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

@Ikyoto:

The Noir-line shaders were envisioned as suitable to apply across one's whole scene, or in front of a relatively plain backdrop.  Unfortunately, they're rather resource-heavy and thus it becomes prohibitive to use them for complex or detailed renders.  There's also a bug in the Specular Color and Refractive Color so that they do not transfer properly from "standard" shaders (DAZ Default Material, UberSurface, Iray Uber, et c...) which I hope to fix this year.  If you'd like color-and-style presets more specific than those in the original package, I have several that just haven't made it into the store, and one set I had taken down after a wheezingly bad year.  And, of course, there's the updated versions that I haven't released to QA yet...

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 575

What type of look are you looking for? I've had some luck playing with pwToon for a few years. If you follow some of the links in my signature, you can see some of the pictures I've done over the years. If you're interested, I can make up a quick tutorial of my process.

One big help was starting off with Crescent's pwToon presets (http://www.sharecg.com/v/69733/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Crescents-pwToon-Cel-Shaders). They're a bunch of color presets that are quite good. They remove the specular color and have different diffuse and shading colors than the usual gray shade. Also, they have a smooth shade or hard shade option, and different outline widths depending on what you need.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

What type of look are you looking for? I've had some luck playing with pwToon for a few years. If you follow some of the links in my signature, you can see some of the pictures I've done over the years. If you're interested, I can make up a quick tutorial of my process.

One big help was starting off with Crescent's pwToon presets (http://www.sharecg.com/v/69733/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Crescents-pwToon-Cel-Shaders). They're a bunch of color presets that are quite good. They remove the specular color and have different diffuse and shading colors than the usual gray shade. Also, they have a smooth shade or hard shade option, and different outline widths depending on what you need.

Was this done with pwToon too?

http://mysteriousworldsofsphinxmagoo.tumblr.com/image/159998052456

That one was done with Sketchy. I avoided the line drawing options because I wanted to test the Toon capabilities in Sketchy and to play a little bit with iRay. Not a lot of Toon or cel-shaded options in iRay...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897
    edited May 2017

I haven't encountered a 'toon' style thing that doesn't require a fair amount of fiddly work.

Most outliners use Normals, which requires tweaking to avoid the 'big black fill' problem. Only ToonyCam and LineRender9000 (to my knowledge) can create outlines a different way, and both require a fair amount of set up. I generally prefer LR9k (with Fresnel outlines)

Post edited by Oso3D on

That one was done with Sketchy. I avoided the line drawing options because I wanted to test the Toon capabilities in Sketchy and to play a little bit with iRay. Not a lot of Toon or cel-shaded options in iRay...

OK, thanks. I may try MEC4D's vol 2 iRay shader presets for the gummi / wax / glass materials 1st and adjust the colors as needed.

I haven't encountered a 'toon' style thing that doesn't require a fair amount of fiddly work.

Most outliners use Normals, which requires tweaking to avoid the 'big black fill' problem. Only ToonyCam and LineRender9000 (to my knowledge) can create outlines a different way, and both require a fair amount of set up. I generally prefer LR9k (with Fresnel outlines)

Yeah. What you said!

That's one reason I liked what Crescent had done with her pwToon presets. She offered 3 different outline presets (small, medium, and large) to help with items in the scene. Small is ideal for backgrounds and background items. Medium is a perfect setting for figures and objects they interact with. Large seems good for closeup items. She'd offered them as excellent startup settings.

Just checking in. All ok so far?

For my own part, I did what I could to somewhat mitigate the big-blob Normals issue with outlines in Mephistopolis and Skunkville.  Basically, a Normal-based outline "draws" on every surface with a normal-to-camera angle greater than N (as calculated from user parameters.  This generally includes all back-facing normals as well, so if a solid object has enough opacity for an outline at all, it becomes all outline in the back.  In my shaders, therefore, I cut backfacing normals out of the outlines entirely to allow genuine semi-transparency.  On the front, though, there is always still the same issue with the normal-angle of various surfaces.

I bought the pwToon shaders recently. I can't wait to try them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

One of my frustrations with Iray is that MaterialID would do a fantastic job as an 'outline objects' pass IF it took into account opacity.

But it don't.

The one problem with using LR9k with Iray is that Iray and 3DL displacement is different, so if you have stuff with displacement... it's not going to line up.