Simtero shape projector and Daz/Carrara morphs

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
edited April 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Simtero is in a flash sale.  Does anyone have the shape projector?  Could I take my custom model head for Brash Lonergan and use the shape projector to create a matching head morph for Genesis or Genesis 2?  There are other figure attributes that don't match.  For example, the ratio of Brash's leg-length to torso-length is longer than default genesis or genesis 2.  Still, It would be interesting to have a head version of Brash for a Daz figure.  Or, do I misunderstand the product?

https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-shape-reprojector

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

yes I wondered tooo

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I see it as full price...$34.95, where/how is the sale on it? I am thinking this will help with my cave painting scenes and making some other prehistoric art stuff.  indecision Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

its been on sale a few times but I have never seen anything posted by anyone to convince me to buy it.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    th3Digit said:

its been on sale a few times but I have never seen anything posted by anyone to convince me to buy it.

OK, thanks for that...  yes S

• zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115

I got the product at a steep discount during some sale and returned it. It mostly performed as described in the store page, but I just found it easier to use blender.

Initially I thought shape reprojector would be easier and faster than exporting to another application for collision deformations and then importing the results as a morph.  It wasn't for me.  It might be for someone who doesn't use blender or another 3D modeling app.

I expected shape reprojector to be slow, since it is a script, but in my case, it took as much or more time than export, collide in another app and import.

The real killer issue for me can be found in the documentation at the botom of page 3:

IMPORTANT: The process will work on objects in any orientation, but for best results, it is strongly recommended that all position and rotations be set to zero on the Receiver figure. Transformed objects, especially figures moved and rotated at the hip, may produce invalid morph results.

In my experience, moving or rotating the hip and/or scaling the character, made it unlikely to get the results one would expect.  It might work for your head as I expect you could do that in the zero/rest pose, but blender and other applications can do that easily as well.  I had no luck trying to create a morph for laying on a flat surface with a scaled figure standing in a T-Pose.  I got results, but they took forever and never were good enough.

Read through the PDF and see what you think.  I believe the product and its documentation describes itself accurately and that it can do what it claims.  In my case, I had other options that produced as good or better results in a similar or much shorter time.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited April 2017

Thank you for the detailed feedback.  Very helpful.

Post edited by Diomede on