70s Tech

aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
edited December 1969 in Freebies

I have uploaded a set of computer props for use in your renders.
They are simple static props - no moving parts.
OBJ files are included for use in other programs.

70s Tech
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/67207/view/11/Poser/70s-Tech

13-02-01_70sTech.jpg
796 x 1050 - 449K
13-02-01_TomorrowsWorld.jpg
796 x 1050 - 380K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh thanks. I so wanted someting like this a while back, for one render I did. Nice to know I can get them now if I ever decide to redo the render.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

This is very cool! Makes me want to do up a Seaview interior to go with it...although it looks more like 1960s tech to me, from what I remember. None the less, it will come in very handy indeed. Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

And here's a 70's portable computer...

800px-IBM_5100_-_MfK_Bern.jpg
    800 x 586 - 77K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

AAARG! Is that an 8K computer?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

I doubt it had that much memory... or was that inexpensive. :-)
    edited February 2013

robkelk said:
    wancow said:

Max of 16K...and they were very $$$$...and very first computer I ever played with.

Of course, here's another example of a 70s computer...

800px-TeleGames-Atari-Pong.jpg
    800 x 588 - 47K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

OMG IT'S PONG!!!!!!!

That reminds me, I was going to google Pong to see if I could find it for my laptop...

edited February 2013

wancow said:
    OMG IT'S PONG!!!!!!!

That reminds me, I was going to google Pong to see if I could find it for my laptop...

Hard to believe, but that console was released for Christmas 1975...

And aldemps...nice work.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    wancow said:

Maximum of 64 K. $19,975 with that much RAM... :)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Looks fun! Thanks :)

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    robkelk said:
    wancow said:

Max of 16K...and they were very $$$$...and very first computer I ever played with.

Of course, here's another example of a 70s computer...

I bet that pong game outlasts XBoxes, since I have yet to see a 70's game system break down. ;)

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

This is very cool! Makes me want to do up a Seaview interior to go with it...although it looks more like 1960s tech to me, from what I remember. None the less, it will come in very handy indeed. Thanks!

You are right I should have called it 60's Tech.
    I guess I associate these with the 70's because of the TV shows I watched growing up.

Glad to see I have jogged some memories of old computers.

My first computer was the Sinclair ZX81, Christmas 1981, with a whole 1K memory.
    After that I upgraded to a ZX Spectrum, then downgraded to an Amstrad CPC464, them upgraded to an Amiga 500 (my favourite) before moving onto PCs.
    I still had the ZX81 & Spectrum until a leaky roof last year ruined them:down:

• mininessiemininessie Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

thanks so much!
    great work!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

aldemps said:

You are right I should have called it 60's Tech.
    I guess I associate these with the 70's because of the TV shows I watched growing up.

Glad to see I have jogged some memories of old computers.

My first computer was the Sinclair ZX81, Christmas 1981, with a whole 1K memory.
    After that I upgraded to a ZX Spectrum, then downgraded to an Amstrad CPC464, them upgraded to an Amiga 500 (my favourite) before moving onto PCs.
    I still had the ZX81 & Spectrum until a leaky roof last year ruined them:down:

I was trained, back in the 60s to use a NCR ledger posting machine with punch tape addon. Once every so often we would need to walk the tapes up to the big NCR computer centre, which was then in Moorgate, and the computer rooms there looked much like this.

This is what the National looked like

NCR_image_2.jpg
    540 x 404 - 77K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I learned to program in FORTRAN with one of these. I'd punch my code onto cards, run them through the reader and go have a cup of coffee. There were 100 bins, corresponding to the last two digits of our SS numbers, and I'd come back and find my output printout there. I'd fix the error ( :) ) punch a new card for that line of code, and repeat the process.

Lest folks think I 'm a total geybeard, this was in the mid 1980s....

ibm-029-keypunch.jpg
    640 x 450 - 68K
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    I learned to program in FORTRAN with one of these. I'd punch my code onto cards, run them through the reader and go have a cup of coffee. There were 100 bins, corresponding to the last two digits of our SS numbers, and I'd come back and find my output printout there. I'd fix the error ( :) ) punch a new card for that line of code, and repeat the process.

Yeesh.
    Yeah, I remember that machine and I remember FORTRAN.
    Painful memories.
    LOL!

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I miss my old Videopac...

Videopac-aka-Odyssey2_ver.PNG
    800 x 695 - 719K
  • edited December 1969

WandW said:

The good old days of Fortran G. I've got ya beat. Try Fortran II on an 026 keypunch. Results on a four-hour turnaround. (Only two of us in the lab that day.)

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Nobody will ever need anymore than 64k of memory! *she tried to say with a straight face...* :o)

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Nobody will ever need anymore than 64k of memory! *she tried to say with a straight face...* :o)

Steve Jobs ordered his engineers to limit the memory of the first Mac to 128K, but they snuck in an expansion slot to allow expansion to 512K, which probably saved the company...

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Actually, it was a HE. Take into consideration that those early computers required a lot of physical space. For example: Philco-Ford C2, located in a single building covering four city blocks in Palo Alto, CA - 28K

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mjc1016 said:

Steve Jobs ordered his engineers to limit the memory of the first Mac to 128K, but they snuck in an expansion slot to allow expansion to 512K, which probably saved the company...

Heck, until Microsoft, hardly anyone needed that much memory. I remember it took me three months to fill up my 1st 180 K floppy drive. (Which was a MAJOR upgrade over the cassette player that I used). Well technically, that was early 80's tech.

ncamp