How do i make my own genesis clothing?

TsukiyomiTsukiyomi Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi, i´m fairly new to 3d renders, i know how to make artwork and animation from pre-made stuff but i want to design my own clothing, i just don't know how, is there some tutorial or guide that teaches me how to design my own clothing for genesis characters?

Post edited by Tsukiyomi on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

Join the discussion here :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12921/

Oh, and if you want to make clothes yet, you will want to start learning how to model first. Technically there is a way to do it without modelling, but I can't strongly recommend it!

Modelling will give you unlimited options in the long run.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfrWziNUOsU

First you need to learn to model... :) Modelling for Genesis requires that you be aware that the figure must always be at 100% scale before you use it as a template. Rigging clothing is fairly easy. Just tedious.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited January 2013

Or, if you have a bit of talent and much time, just render your naked figures and paint the clothes in postwork. There are tons of tutorials in the net how it is done and is much fun. And at least it gives you the maximum freedom in style, look, and colors.

Post edited by XoechZ on
  • TsukiyomiTsukiyomi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot to everyone, i think painting over it with a tablet could be interesting.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

This is focused on clothing, but I don't cover modeling because there are like, infinite ways of doing that and its up to each person.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14421/

Painting the clothes is very good too or a mix of both.

• TsukiyomiTsukiyomi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, you have been most helpful.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

For some of us, it is easier to make clothes for the older figures and convert to genesis. If you are a true newbie, you might be better off just learning Genesis, but some of us are burdened by habit. Daz Studio will convert clothes for supported figures (Michael 4 and Victoria 4, for example) to Genesis base. The converted clothing will automatically adjust to any morphs and character presets used with genesis. You can use a variety of programs to do the modeling and rigging.

For this example, I threw together a simple dress in about 10 minutes - but I used 3 programs. Some of the other suggestions are better if you are learning from scratch. I modeled a simple dress for V4 in Carrara, which also has a simple uvmapper. I then exported the dress as an obj to Poser. Poser has a setup room to convert obj files to conforming - and PhilC has some wonderful related utilities. Anyway, Poser's setup room allows you to choose the rigging from a library, and there is a a set of V4 development rigs available in the 3d stores. The development rigs match V4 joint settings. I saved the newly conforming V4 dress in my Poser runtime. I opened Daz Studio, (Genesis loads right away) and applied the newly made conforming dress to Genesis. Daz gave me a warning that I was trying to apply an unsupported figure to Genesis. Daz then asked me which figure the conforming dress was designed for (V4, M4 and most other Daz figures are easily converted). The new dress for Genesis is now available in my Daz Studio content library. Another nice thing about it is that the Genesis dress also works in Carrara. One pic shows the simple dress loaded in Poser. The other Pic shows the dress in Daz3d applied to Genesis and morphed for The Girl character.

daz_render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 45K
    Poser_V4_Dev_print_2.jpg
    576 x 522 - 9K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited February 2013

diomede64 said:
    For some of us, it is easier to make clothes for the older figures and convert to genesis. If you are a true newbie, you might be better off just learning Genesis, but some of us are burdened by habit. Daz Studio will convert clothes for supported figures (Michael 4 and Victoria 4, for example) to Genesis base. The converted clothing will automatically adjust to any morphs and character presets used with genesis. You can use a variety of programs to do the modeling and rigging.

For this example, I threw together a simple dress in about 10 minutes - but I used 3 programs. Some of the other suggestions are better if you are learning from scratch. I modeled a simple dress for V4 in Carrara, which also has a simple uvmapper. I then exported the dress as an obj to Poser. Poser has a setup room to convert obj files to conforming - and PhilC has some wonderful related utilities. Anyway, Poser's setup room allows you to choose the rigging from a library, and there is a a set of V4 development rigs available in the 3d stores. The development rigs match V4 joint settings. I saved the newly conforming V4 dress in my Poser runtime. I opened Daz Studio, (Genesis loads right away) and applied the newly made conforming dress to Genesis. Daz gave me a warning that I was trying to apply an unsupported figure to Genesis. Daz then asked me which figure the conforming dress was designed for (V4, M4 and most other Daz figures are easily converted). The new dress for Genesis is now available in my Daz Studio content library. Another nice thing about it is that the Genesis dress also works in Carrara. One pic shows the simple dress loaded in Poser. The other Pic shows the dress in Daz3d applied to Genesis and morphed for The Girl character.

I have found, especially with dresses, it's far easier to take your OBJ and use it as a prop, converting prop to figure, rather than converting the Cr2. I get better results that way. Even if it is modelled for V4, so long as you have the V4 shape for Genesis.

Post edited by wancow on