Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited May 2017

When I did stuff like this, I was also going for a more painterly artistic style without ever having to perform any post work. In this test (I've only done three images using this technique at that time) I used lights to alter the effect of the render, otherwise it would have ended up with a full-color scene with First Bastion's "A Walk Across Water" set (What?!!! No longer Available?!!!) with a sky dome.

I really should have put more time into posing the Genesis Orcs, but as usual I was in a big hurry just to get anything rendered. 

The sketchy-like look comes from intense cone lighting effects crossing the scene at various places and angle from varying distances. It was really fun setting up, but didn't work quite how I expected, so I kept trying different setups.

This was just after seeing Cripeman's wonderful tribute to Frank Frazetta, which I still enjoy watching at least once a year, along with the movie I got right after: Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Edit: Wow... I wonder why A Walk Across Water is no longer available. I really love this set - It came with two variations for the bridge, one broken, as seen here, and one with the bridge complete - I'm now overjoyed that I did buy it while I could! Wow!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

I didn't actually mean Carrara's NPR engine, per se, because I haven't been able to try it. But what I am talking about are many NPR or NPR-like filters that we can apply to sequenced image animations. There are some cool ones that will paint a picture from the input image that mimics the style of a famous artist. But since it works on a set of steps that simulate the strokes of the chosen artist, it results in an entirely different image each time - so it wouldn't work for an animation - at least not in an expected way.

I really have to try harder to not confuse people! I talk funny! LOL

No problem.  It sounds like there are more aspects to this than I thought.  Not as simple as Poser's Sketch Render (which I have not used in years, so maybe its changed).

It's really cool, actually. many aspects to it!

We also have a very simple Sketch mode in the Draft render engine! yes

But there are also ways to do it using shaders (like YaToon 2) and/or filters in the effects tab of figures. Yeah... Carrara has a lot to work with in this department.

edited May 2017

YaToon 2 has a special shader setup - a lighting model, which is the nuts n' bolts of a shader. 

And it also has a Filter in the figure's Effects tab (right side trip >>>

YaToon (Yet Another Toon Suite) Home is Here

and where it says User's Guide takes you Here, which is an excellent guide to get started.

But after completing it, I feel I'm still missing something.

I think we need to create the shadow shader and spec shaders, which are part of the main YaToon lighting model shader, which will be as simple as assigning a color for each, I think.

Very cool stuff though. I look forward to getting a deeper understanding of all of this stuff. I have a feeling that it has the potential of doing a lot more than just making anime-like images once we get used to all of it.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

After seeing an "Over-draw" feature in DCG's Toon Pro (from one of Head Wax's Posts earlier), I'm eager to get my hands on that plugin as well... but unfortunately, there are other DCGs in front of it on my list of wants! :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited May 2017

? Oh... do you have all the necessary morph packs they call for? If we have all of those (I still don't have the international morphs) they will still INJ the morphs... but I don't buy them for the shapes! ;)  I love the textures! I just added some more to the Cart, hopefully the current sale doesn't end before I get paid! LOL

no just some of the clothes you click the pose texture thing and they don't change - also a beard that loads up without textures.

so they need international morphs?? didnt know that, thanks for the heads up!

edit just went through my collection of  MortemVetus

stuff, didnt realise I had so much!!!, i bought up big in the march sale, only a few come listed as needing international morphs, yes his/her's stuff is amazing

Post edited by Headwax on

YaToon 2 has a special shader setup - a lighting model, which is the nuts n' bolts of a shader. 

and where it says User's Guide takes you Here, which is an excellent guide to get started.

I think we need to create the shadow shader and spec shaders, which are part of the main YaToon lighting model shader, which will be as simple as assigning a color for each, I think.

Very cool stuff though. I look forward to getting a deeper understanding of all of this stuff. I have a feeling that it has the potential of doing a lot more than just making anime-like images once we get used to all of it.

we need a plugin that changes a mass of shaders  simultaneously

eg one that will automatically add a mixer operator to the colour channel and have a blender and second source that you can select

that way you can treat all shaders in a scene with the same effect

the easiest way I've found is delete all the shaders in a scene and then drag and drop shaders you have prepared previously

The sketchy-like look comes from intense cone lighting effects crossing the scene at various places and angle from varying distances. It was really fun setting up, but didn't work quite how I expected, so I kept trying different setups.

This was just after seeing Cripeman's wonderful tribute to Frank Frazetta, which I still enjoy watching at least once a year, along with the movie I got right after: Frazetta - Painting with Fire

the male in this getting close Dart - have you tried mixing a touch of toon1part3 (whatever the inbuilt filter in car is called)

edited May 2017

just a quickie to show interesting effects with photon map and line passes in Carrara - plus a little hand colouring 

literally a five minute job

plenty to explore in photon map land

photonmapo2.jpg
    3838 x 3000 - 2M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,640
    head wax said:

just a quickie to show interesting effects with photon map and line passes in Carrara - plus a little hand colouring 

Headwax, interesting result. Whereabouts is the photon map ?

Zarathant & Zubarra on an Alien World. Filter Forge AcrylicPaint filter.

Bunyip02 said:

that's very effective, I especially like the foreground of this one

the photon map you access through the render room, I have an image somehwre I'll dig it up and post it

edited May 2017

here it is, play with the photon map accuracy to get different degrees of roughness

and the light intensity of the indirectr light - it renders pretty fast

you need to tick the indirect light (and the full indirect lighting??)

see the settings on the right hand side of this image below 'global illumination'

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

that is definately warp factor 9 stuff!

so eerie looking 

and there i was thinking we were being child fiendly  especially  Bunyip02  :)

head wax said:

here it is, play with the photon map accuracy to get different degrees of roughness

and the light intensity of the indirectr light - it renders pretty fast

you need to tick the indirect light (and the full indirect lighting??)

see the settings on the right hand side of this image below 'global illumination'

Many thank-yous !!!! Found it, was looking in the wrong spot before.

Stezza said:

that is definately warp factor 9 stuff!

so eerie looking 

Was looking for a not normal render, hopefully I achieved it with those two critters.

head wax said:

Not too many nightmares I trust !!!

head wax said:

we need a plugin that changes a mass of shaders  simultaneously

eg one that will automatically add a mixer operator to the colour channel and have a blender and second source that you can select

that way you can treat all shaders in a scene with the same effect

I was just thnking the same exact thing the other day!

head wax said:

the male in this getting close Dart - have you tried mixing a touch of toon1part3 (whatever the inbuilt filter in car is called)

Most of my only (very few) attempts with NPR in Carrara (of course, having not much time to work on it) have failed.

This one is just using my PR textures and render settings, using the lighting to simulate a painted effect.

head wax said:

I would love to eventually get animations that resemble something similar to NC Wyeth's paintings

Just similar

head wax said:

Absolutely Awesome! Do you think we can save sequenced photon map animations?

Either way, there are some wonderful multipass elements that help me use Howler to achieve some cool artistic results. It still takes some imagination, heavy concentration, and a bundle of tinkering... but it is so worth it to see what can come out the other end.

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Yeah... agreed!

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Yeah... agreed!

Cool Toon! Part III stuff there, HW.

Is that a screenshot of a shader? 

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Not too many nightmares I trust !!!

It's very cool! 

Another idea - I went reading the description of DCG's Noir plugin last night before bed. Looks powerful enough to be really flexible towards getting NPR imagery - and fully animation friendly as well. It's easy to accidentally bypass that one as something that just renders everything to greyscale, B&W, and/or Sepia... but no... it can do a LOT more too!

Another idea - Again, using a DCG plugin that I don't have, Terrain Tools. Perhaps using Intersect, Beach, and Surf functions and using planes and/or other objects to intersect with the objects in the scene - even, perhaps, animated figures - to simulate sketchy-like illustration/painting/etchings, etc., (?)

So with those ideas in mind, I now have new insoiration to dig deep into the three DCG plugins that I DO have and see what they can do toward these endeavors: Enhance C, Shader Ops, and Shader Ops 2. When I last tried messing with Light Mangler (Shader Ops 2) it was a bit over my head (not too hard, me thinks). It seems to require an initial render, then it 'mangles' the result onto subsequent renders according to our inputs into the mangler settings. I must explore.

When I was trying it, I was trying to use maps to control SSS for animations, and I didn't succeed... again, I run out of time - and this stuff seem to take time to figure out.

I'll get digging into the three of them, plus what other plugins I have for rendering/shading as well. Time to figure out how to use what I have! ;)

hya Dart, ofh that's just a pic of the toon1Part111 settings I used.

I cant see whay you couldnt render out the photonmaps as an animation _ i never thought of that- I think it would look very cool - and spooky.

I like how you are thinking with those plugins - I have had shoestring shaders for ages and finally sat down and figured out (err i mean played with)  their Proximity one and Location one and Fresnel one.

I found it was easy to just set up a series of spheres in a line and then use the first two shaders (Location and Proximity) and move them around until I noticed something happening to the spheres (in this case a cut away and a fading effect.). Same with Fresnel shader which I used on a sphere.

Once I had an idea of what was happening then I used them on M4 etc.

I think they really need to make tutorial videos going over a few differnt uses for the plugins. Otrherwise people buy then and then read the instructions and get a headache... and don't use them.

This discussion has been closed.