Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

Image size for filters ect should be min 2000+ pixels for best effect then resize down like say 800 pixels for the forum 

even if you render out an image at 800 resize to 2000 or 3000 apply your filters/actions then resize back again yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690
    Stezza said:
    head wax said:

thanks, well I usually render around 3000 pixels so that's interesting

there's a chap (?) doing a thread on making animie character renders in Carrara  who recommends  Filter Forge Plugin named Vibrance , so I'll just jot that here for future reference (I don't like animie ;) )

Image size for filters ect should be min 2000+ pixels for best effect then resize down like say 800 pixels for the forum 

even if you render out an image at 800 resize to 2000 or 3000 apply your filters/actions then resize back again yes

Headwax & Stezza, thanks for the feedback about sizes, will try 2400 pixels on my next render and see how that goes.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I use 3000x1733.  If I set the window in the render room to 50%, the whole image fills my monitor perfectly.  At 100%, I can zoom in for details.

Buniyip, I agree with HW, nice use of filter forge filters!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

A little Ot but this artist Fred Braat uses Carrara to build virtual sculptures then 3d prints them https://www.facebook.com/iterationsofunrealobjects/?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite&notif_id=1494458578156690

he's having a show of his recent work soon

here's some images from a previous show http://blackswanbinalong.com.au/previous-exhibition/fred-braat/

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

Mystery Van is a freebie found in the freebie board yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

INow I want a scooby snac!   Well done, Stezza.

Great Van Stezza, I think I've seen it outside my place :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

"To Bee Bzzzzy" made by combining a Toon Filter render with outline- and shadow-only NPR renders, plus a bit of post-work in Photoshop.

MDO2010 said:

"To Bee Bzzzzy" made by combining a Toon Filter render with outline- and shadow-only NPR renders, plus a bit of post-work in Photoshop.

Wow, you are quickly figuring this out.  Well done!

that's a wonderful effect on the flower and the bee 

edited May 2017

Carrara render worked up in post work using Carrar's native render passes as isolation masks.  Used Topaz Simplify and Topaz impression amongst other things.

The pirates are some characters I have been working up. I attach the straight render as well for comparsion. Only one of the render passes though. 

deathofthebosustraightrende.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:

Carrara render worked up in post work using Carrar's native render passes as isolation masks.  Used Topaz Simplify and Topaz impression amongst other things.

The pirates are some characters I have been working up. I attach the straight render as well for comparsion. Only one of the render passes though. 

Headwax, nice render as always, but one of the swords is conflicting with a boot.

ha ha yes, thank you, I've had a hard day!!! 

edited May 2017

Landscape, Filter Forge Oil Painting filter

Landscape 1 FilterForge Oil Painting 800.png
    800 x 500 - 818K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

nice work, you'd never guess it was a 3d render 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

+1

I have to get Filter Forge.  You should get a commission when I buy, Bunyip.

head wax said:

nice work, you'd never guess it was a 3d render 

+2

Vincent VG, move over!

head wax said:

I love it when you post before-and-afters like this!  Fantastic work.

BTW - I put some notes about our recent NPR experiment over in the Challenge thread.

thank you @UnifiedBrain :) nice notes too! good job!

edited May 2017

Same poor lot as last night.... Attached is the prepost which didnt really need mush post at all - but still looking for a hand done look.

I made the dead Bosun too small in the original render - using an object index pass I couold select just the Bosun and make him bigger.

Also attached a toonpro 111 pass combined with a coverage pass - both good passes for selction masking as well - the all fall down with transmaps but that's life ...

prepost-2.jpg
    3838 x 3000 - 4M
    deathofthebosun2smaller.jpg
    3838 x 3000 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

I have not been following this Forum cloesly, so maybe I missed it, but is anybody doing NPR animations?  Like this:

https://www.facebook.com/playgroundenglish/videos/466093627057306/

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    head wax said:

Nice work Bunyip, must say I really like those last two filter forge effects. thanks for the headsup on those!

Me too! Yikes they are cool!

I just got FilterForge 5 for free through a club membership thingy. Haven't played with it other than to open it and look around. Like wgdjohn, I was thinking of it as a texture-making thing, not a post effect filter. 

Do you think it can work with animations, like image sequences?

The problem I've encoutered so far with such things fro animations is that many effects have a random element to them - run the filter twice on the same image will grant a different result each time. These sorts of things make for caterwonky animations! LOL

YaToon 2 looks like it might help me get into this whole NPR thing a bit closer to what I want to do. We'll see. Still figuring it out. It's difficult when I only have x time here and y time there... I think a few more times of that and I might be able to spit out a render (?)... we'll see.

Howler has some Amazing filters I can use on my animations! I love that!

head wax said:

Great Van Stezza, I think I've seen it outside my place :)

Were you wearing a mask at the time? If so, did they figure out you were only wearing a mask?

MDO, wow! I love that Bzzzy Bee image!

Very cool work, HW! About the boot/sword thing... that's what happens when a guy steps into an edge tooo quickly, right? Slices right through if the sword owner has any love for his blade! LOL

I see you've also found Mortem Vetus' store! I love those textures! I plan to one day own them all! ;)

edited May 2017
    Steve K said:

I have not been following this Forum cloesly, so maybe I missed it, but is anybody doing NPR animations?  Like this:

I didn't see the whole thing through, but still haven't seen any actual NPR. Non-realistic, perhaps, but rendered using the PR-style render terchniques.

Rendering NPR animations can be tough. We have to make sure that none of the effects that create the NPR appearance are random or are an applied algorithm type of thing or its effects will change from one frame to the next. That might still be fun to watch, but it's highly unpredictable.

Nassos invented his own PhotoShop process to run on his animated frames to get the look used in "Dinner For Few", which is absolute excellence in NPR animation, in my opinion.

I am going for a more 'painted' kind of look. So I'm planning on starting with the YaToon features at first, and then also going back to my experiments with actually creating my own NPR style of appearance via the textures/shaders on the model, and still rendering in Carrara's PR. 

I really like the hand-painted textures of The Clone Wars. I think their texture artists did that using Cintiq monitor tablets to paint directly onto the mesh.

They deliberately used large bristled brush strokes and heavy bump maps I think. However they did it, it's wonderful to look at. They then carried that look through their scenery and visual effects as well.

The water was hand-painted using examples of N.C. Wyeth's paintings, for his paintings of water have truly inspired us all!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    Steve K said:

I didn't see the whole thing through, but still haven't seen any actual NPR. Non-realistic, perhaps, but rendered using the PR-style render terchniques.

I agree, I thought about that when I posted, but thought people might enjoy the animation.

Rendering NPR animations can be tough. We have to make sure that none of the effects that create the NPR appearance are random or are an applied algorithm type of thing or its effects will change from one frame to the next. That might still be fun to watch, but it's highly unpredictable.

I was not aware of that, I thought most NPR features would be animatable.  Thanks for the reply, I'll get to NPR rendering ... some day.  

Very cool work, HW! About the boot/sword thing... that's what happens when a guy steps into an edge tooo quickly, right? Slices right through if the sword owner has any love for his blade! LOL

I see you've also found Mortem Vetus' store! I love those textures! I plan to one day own them all! ;)

thanks dart, yes they are good - some things don't work as far as the textures not loading but worth the entrance price for sure

head wax said:

thanks dart, yes they are good - some things don't work as far as the textures not loading but worth the entrance price for sure

? Oh... do you have all the necessary morph packs they call for? If we have all of those (I still don't have the international morphs) they will still INJ the morphs... but I don't buy them for the shapes! ;)  I love the textures! I just added some more to the Cart, hopefully the current sale doesn't end before I get paid! LOL

Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

I agree, I thought about that when I posted, but thought people might enjoy the animation.

I was not aware of that, I thought most NPR features would be animatable.  Thanks for the reply, I'll get to NPR rendering ... some day.  

I didn't actually mean Carrara's NPR engine, per se, because I haven't been able to try it. But what I am talking about are many NPR or NPR-like filters that we can apply to sequenced image animations. There are some cool ones that will paint a picture from the input image that mimics the style of a famous artist. But since it works on a set of steps that simulate the strokes of the chosen artist, it results in an entirely different image each time - so it wouldn't work for an animation - at least not in an expected way.

I really have to try harder to not confuse people! I talk funny! LOL

I was messing with the NPR engine in Carrara, and it turned out kinda cool. But I wanted more detail, plus I hadn't set any of the other tabs for shadows, spec, etc., so I went in, added some much higher definition settings and had it use one of Ron's Scratches (because GKDANTAS' Scratches adds this as an option) as a brush, and went on in this same way for each tab. 

Upon executing the render, I came back many hours later and it was still only 8% towards building the brushes! LOL  Another Task Manager > End Task closing for me! I need to stop doing that before I break my poor Carrara!

What I need to do is to tip-toe my way in using baby steps. That and use my powerful machine to do it.

This discussion has been closed.