How to make skin glow?

Hey, just wanted to know

What shader would you apply to make a person glow brightly? Like, illuminate-a-room bright, not Surface of the Sun bright? I tried the Uber Area shader but it just makes everything render as pitch white.

Comments

• Iray or 3Delight? uber Area is 3Delight, and should be adjustable in brightness so I suspect you are using Iray. In Iray, set the Emissive Colour to a non-black value and adjust the settings that are exposed then (you need to have the iray uberBase shader applied first).

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

It would be helpful to show us a picture of what kind of effect exactly you have in mind. : )

• I don't have any 3D pictures of it but something like this: 

also, it seems I was using the !Iray Uber Base, but I don't seem to have the uber Area. Where can I find it?

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

The first thing I'd try would be the emissive Iray shader as Richard mentioned : ) That could do the trick! 

• cheetiotcheetiot Posts: 25

I've been wanting to get around to trying this myself, but haven't found time yet. It's something like this I want to do:

I'm hoping the emissive shader will do it and still keep some skin details, and not just go bright white.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Goo Luck. I don't think you're goign to get the effect you want. I made some quick trials with setting a non-black emission color with luminance up to 15000 cd/m2. All I got was lack of skin detail and an overall skin tone that matched the emission colr.

Maybe a geoshell would work better.

Just managed to play around trying to do this. fastbike1 mentioning a geoshell gave me an idea. I added the shell, but then changed its offset so that it was just underneath the figure's skin rather than on top of it. I then put the emissive shader on the shell and played around with the figure's translucency. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge and/or time could get some interesting results. But I got this (I didn't let it finish as it looked like it was going to take ages).

• Ooh, that looks really good! How do you apply a geoshell (and make it under the skin), I want to try?

I'm not at my Daz computer right now so I can't remember the exact names of things.

Select your figure, then in the top menu choose create > new geometry shell.

Somewhere in the geometry shell's parameters there is something that mentions offset. I changed it from 0.1 to -0.1. In those parameters you can also choose to hide certain parts of the shell, so I hid the eyes. Then I applied the shaders and played with the figure's transparency and the shell's luminance.

When I can, I want to get back to really having a good go at it.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Looks like you are using Iray. This set I created for 3Delight was released on March 10th and includes emissive shaders that can be used on skin: Reflective Radiance for 3Delight. In the image attached the blue light is only from her skin and the skin maps remain with the figure if you want them to.

3Delight could be an alternative for you if your Iray renders are grainy when the scene is dark. Your renders will complete much faster too. 

• cheetiot said:

Just managed to play around trying to do this. fastbike1 mentioning a geoshell gave me an idea. I added the shell, but then changed its offset so that it was just underneath the figure's skin rather than on top of it. I then put the emissive shader on the shell and played around with the figure's translucency. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge and/or time could get some interesting results. But I got this (I didn't let it finish as it looked like it was going to take ages).

Would you be willing to go over all the settings you used to get this effect?  Trying to glowify a person and can't quite seem to get it looking right.