bridges bridges bridges bridges

St Johns Portland

Ohh! Golden Gate the Golden gate
    Golden Gaaaate, ohhh, the Golden Gaaaate....

(hey, Kerya started it...)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Medieval stone bridges, wooden bridges ...

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Suspension bridges! I could model my home town if I had one of those.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...bridges bridges bridges bridges

London London

Brooklyn Brooklyn

St Johns Portland

Ohh! Golden Gate the Golden gate
    Golden Gaaaate, ohhh, the Golden Gaaaate....

(hey, Kerya started it...)

Are you sure you mean London Bridge? Tower Bridge is really iconic, and a Jack model of that would be utterly awesome! London Bridge was pretty dull by comparison, and if I remember correctly was dismantled many years ago. The story goes that the stones were sold to someone in the USA for it to be reconstructed there, the buyer under the incorrect impression that he was buying Tower Bridge! But I'm pretty sure that's an urban myth, good story though it is.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited February 2013

Nope. Not a myth. It's at Lake Havasau (not a bit sure of the spelling) in Nevada, I'm pretty sure. Maybe the California/Nevada border.

No idea whether the buyer knew what he was getting, but it seems likely that he at least looked at it first.

I'm sure that it was once very interesting, when there were still houses and shops on it all the way across the river, but those were demolished ages ago as the bridge got old enough to be in danger of collapse.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited February 2013

Dr Stupid said:
    Are you sure you mean London Bridge? Tower Bridge is really iconic, and a Jack model of that would be utterly awesome! London Bridge was pretty dull by comparison, and if I remember correctly was dismantled many years ago. The story goes that the stones were sold to someone in the USA for it to be reconstructed there, the buyer under the incorrect impression that he was buying Tower Bridge! But I'm pretty sure that's an urban myth, good story though it is.

...many still equate the Tower Bridge as being The "London Bridge".

Yeah, that purchase happened back in 1967 when a developer at Lake Havasau City in Arizona decided it would be really cool idea to attract investors and business to the then new resort community. The bridge itself is a modern reinforced concrete structure that is only sheathed in the granite stonework of the original 1821 London span. Hence,when the project was completed three years later, it was not really the "original" London Bridge which spanned the small canal (that incidentally was dredged out underneath and flooded after the bridge was completed thus turning what was a point of land into an island) but a young lass only clad in a famous dowager's dress.

The "lake" itself is actually a man made reservoir.

Par for the course here in the colonies.

Financially it was a huge success since the price of the land there were literally "dirt cheap" (before being parceled out and of course sold at much higher prices to would be investors) and he recouped the entire cost of the bridge project along plus a healthy sum on top.

Interestingly, on the newly formed island that the bridge connected to from the "mainland" there was an old "English village" styled mall constructed with open air markets, winding streets and a hedge maze as a tourist attraction. The "village" has since fallen into disrepair and parts of it have been raised for newer, more lucrative, developments. The bridge itself still manages to be an important tourist attraction for the resort area.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

We have bridge bridge bridge
    Concerete bridge, concrete bridge with roof
    Bridge bridge
    Bridge with road
    Bridge with rails
    Bridge with road and rails
    Open bridge,
    Closed bridge
    Bridge with....

I HATE BRIDGES!

Construction workers singing...
    Bridges bridges beautiful bridges we love bridges

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Nope. Not a myth. It's at Lake Havasau (not a bit sure of the spelling) in Nevada, I'm pretty sure. Maybe the California/Nevada border.

No idea whether the buyer knew what he was getting, but it seems likely that he at least looked at it first.

I'm sure that it was once very interesting, when there were still houses and shops on it all the way across the river, but those were demolished ages ago as the bridge got old enough to be in danger of collapse.

London Bridge has had several re incarnations during it's history. at one stage it was a for hazard, as the hosues on the briidge, and a lot of the bridge itself was made of wood. One of the fires, left a natural fire break which did stop further terrible problems when the great fire of London broke out.

Also the sturdy piers, with narrow arches needed to support the weight of the buidings on the bridge restricted the river flow so mush that often in really cold winters the river would freeze upstream of the bridge, despite still being in the tidal part of the river.

The bridge that was sold to the USA in 1967 was the immediate predecessor of the existing London bridge.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,074
    edited December 1969

Ok, I geddit.. you want bridges ;)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

YES!
    Please?
    :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Now what made you think that... Capt to the bridge
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

It must have looked amazing in its heyday.

Are you listening Jack? Should keep you busy for a while :lol:

LondonBridge1.jpg
    662 x 480 - 122K
    edited December 1969

Yea I was worried there for a minute, I thought I'd have run out of work by lunchtime tomorrow! ;)

edited December 1969

Lunchtime today I thought... :)

edited December 1969

Yea I was worried there for a minute, I thought I'd have run out of work by lunchtime tomorrow! ;)

Seriously fella, do you ever stop? I've seen you on here at seven in the morning, and today's a day of rest. So rest already!

I, on the other hand, have a perfectly good excuse for constantly being on this forum. I have no life :-S

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:

Seriously fella, do you ever stop? I've seen you on here at seven in the morning, and today's a day of rest. So rest already!

I, on the other hand, have a perfectly good excuse for constantly being on this forum. I have no life :-SIn my defense, I'm usually on here while I'm waiting for renders to finish. Which is a good 50% of my time. Either that or watching videos of cats do silly things on Youtube.

edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:

I, on the other hand, have a perfectly good excuse for constantly being on this forum. I have no life :-S

Yea, the work rate is pretty insane at the moment.. but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! Actually had my Dad tell me I work too much.. but nothing is given to you in life, so here I am :)

Luckily my wife is a workaholic too, so we're a good pair! lol..

edited December 1969

I know I go on about it too Jack but too be honest I think I spend as much time in front of the computer as you, so really I can't talk. I agree about nothing is given in life but don't forget to live NOW, not when your are older. Remember what matters...the moments, everything else is negotiable. ;)

....I think it about time I get that time earning for myself too. :)

How many bridges does it take for a bridge too far. :)

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Now imagine you would see a bridge through the windows of "Classic Deco"... Whow!

;)

Just to show that I can do different things with your stuff than just postapocalyptic scenes ;) :

2013-02-03_Lost_in_thoughts_web.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 408K
    edited December 1969

Nice POV Sedor :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Jack!

edited December 1969

Great pose, lighting and as Jack said, POV...nicely done sedor.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

OK, I'll make it unanimous! Well done sir. :-)

edited December 1969

:) Thanks a lot!

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

Will there be more Art Deco Interiors? Maybe some Art Deco Exteriors, maybe some sets that could pass for gotham city?

edited December 1969

Yep, got a few things planned.. it's just going to be another little chapter of stuff I dip in and out of, like West Park, GIS, Parkside...etc etc..

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

The people browsing the wiki list have outed the "Dubious" series. That one of yours? It sounds like it.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Don't forget your wifey... Anyway, you truly deserve the title of Vertex King or Polygon Paladin!! :lol:

edited December 1969

The Quadmyster...he can charm polygons to his every whim...where he fights the nongons on a daily basis and triumps...

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    The Quadmyster...he can charm polygons to his every whim...where he fights the nongons on a daily basis and triumps...

Good, but Meshmeister has that whole alliteration thing going on :-)

This discussion has been closed.