AdamR001’s Default Categories Layout for DS4.5

13»

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    As soon as I install something new and then scan known directories for new files everything I have previously categorized is gone!!! |Including the new category setup I installed following Adams directions...why does this keep happening??? Now I have to start all over again. I don't even have a default categories anymore. what am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the CMS has stopped or is being blocked.

1) Check for an extra set of databases under ProgramData -- if there is, stop CMS, delete them, and restart it.
    2) If this isn't the first version of DS4 you've installed, try uninstalling CMS -- it doesn't get uninstalled when you update DS, so you might have an old version.
    3) I understand that on Macs in particular, marking all content as seen frequently helps avoid crashes.
    4) What security programs are you using?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Mike,

I uninstalled and reinstalled both DS4.5 and the CMS started DS and ther my categories were all back again...this is one of several times I've had to do that...I don't get it, I am following all the instructions to the T. My security program is simply the one that came in windows 7.

Anyhow it's all back again until next time :)but it sure would be nice if I could just install and categorize so I could actually use my stuff I have now spent a fortune on...just purchased Aiko5 Pro Bundle!

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    As soon as I install something new and then scan known directories for new files everything I have previously categorized is gone!!! |Including the new category setup I installed following Adams directions...why does this keep happening??? Now I have to start all over again. I don't even have a default categories anymore. what am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the CMS has stopped or is being blocked.

1) Check for an extra set of databases under ProgramData -- if there is, stop CMS, delete them, and restart it.
    2) If this isn't the first version of DS4 you've installed, try uninstalling CMS -- it doesn't get uninstalled when you update DS, so you might have an old version.
    3) I understand that on Macs in particular, marking all content as seen frequently helps avoid crashes.
    4) What security programs are you using?

Where do I find this ProgramData?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

It is a hidden folder. Type %programdata% into the search bar on the start menu and it'll pop up.

edited December 1969

I really thank you all for your help but right now this is just not working for me so I am going to install my files with the DIM to the different folders I have set up and let the default categoryy have its way. I want to play with Studio not install and reinstall it...lol...maybe at a later date I will come back to this and try again.

Once everything is installed and categorized how would you go about having it show up inthe Uncategorized again so you could recategorize into your own folders again?

Again, thanks for all your help with my questions, I am sorry I couldn't get it to work

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

You can't. Once it's categorized, it's categorized. Including the categories that get created by Metadata inside the Default structure.

At that point, the best method I've found is to use the Products view, and categorize from there.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you wanted to, you could delete the categories under default, then if you do a scan with the "New Items Only" box UNCHECKED they'll show up in Unassigned. The empty default categories return when you restart DS.

edited December 1969

ok thanks Adam and Mike for all your help...off to continue installing my thousands of files so I can buy more :))

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this. I have a long road ahead of me categorizing everything (thank you create from folder), but this is my last hope. lol
    I hate smart content, and using DIM now my content library is kind of all over the place since I'm not manually moving things anymore, and the default categories are horrid.