Reality lux render

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can any1 tell me how much time a lux render might take in a scene containing 2 victoria 2 michael and lot of props. All chars have hair.
How much time will it take to get a decent renders , above scene took 2 hrs in daz.
Also can you queue renders in lux render.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Can any1 tell me how much time a lux render might take in a scene containing 2 victoria 2 michael and lot of props. All chars have hair.
    How much time will it take to get a decent renders , above scene took 2 hrs in daz.
    Also can you queue renders in lux render.

About 3 weeks...

Seriously, though...nobody can make that choice for you. As it's written, Lux will continue to calculate the render, indefinitely, They are looking at an algorithm that will stop it, after a certain point, but it's up to you to decide, right now.

Yes, you can queue and do network renders in Lux, with ease

• edited December 1969

I am talking about decent renders. I mean better than what i can get in daz.. I was planning to buy it but if the time taken by renders are too long then i think its not worth the effort.

• edited December 1969

Firstly, how fast is your computer?

LuxRender is in general slower than 3Delight. However, you can leave it running in the background and do other things in the meantime, including working on a new scene in DAZ Studio. If you don't leave in a studio flat, you can let it render overnight. You can pause the renders and resume them whenever you want.

Speed of render will be affected by the number and type of materials, hiding unseen parts of your figures (inner mouth, limbs hidden by clothing, parts the camera doesn't see) and how well you control your lights.

You won't get great results out of the box: there's a learning curve (which may or may not be steep). You'll have to tweak the materials; Reality does a basic conversion, but in most cases they have to be fine-tuned, and also learn a new way to use lights. I find lights much, much easier to use in Reality than with a biased renderer like 3Delight, because I have a bit of a background in photography.

I really like the control it gives you on materials and lights. You lose the ability to use shaders, however - at least for now, unless you go into some heavy-duty file editing - something to keep in mind.

I have a render "cooking" right now. It's been going for about 5 hours; one Genesis figure with clothing, hair, two mesh lights, and a simple backdrop. Thus said, I'm using a laptop with only 4 Gb of Ram... Not really up to specs!

I would recommend Reality for the control it gives you over the lights, and for its versatility. Indeed, don't let the name fool you: rendering style isn't limited to realistic renders. I've rendered toons with success. Speed definitely isn't its unique selling point, though. :D

• edited December 1969

I have i5 with 16gb ram. Can i get atleast 2 renders in 1 night. Also while your render is running can you play heavy games on it simultaneously.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

That sounds good, 2 renders in one night. I can't see the problem a part from your frame of mind and patience. Man I would be seriously happy if I could do two Lux renders a night.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

If you want to use Lux & Reality then your are trying to go for the most realistic render that can be produced for your $60. Results like that take time using Lux, and there is only one way to get around that, which is getting a $300-$400 Nvidia graphics card and use Octane Render [about $250 US].

As the adage goes, "patience is a virtue."

• edited December 1969

well i have a nvidia 560ti gaming card. Will this do

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Yes that will work.

edited December 1969

Well...like I was saying...this took about an 1.5 hrs in Lux...and there's still a lot of 'noise' at the ends of the hair...I could let it render a lot longer to get rid of it.

The second image...about 10 minutes in DS...

lookmomitfits2.png
    800 x 1000 - 995K
    maddie8.png
    600 x 480 - 428K
  • LucynskyLucynsky Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

It really depends on the style you want.

However, I'm learning both Luxrender and the Uberenvironment lighting system for different reasons./styles.

Personally, I think they're both worth the money and time invested.

• mattiascibienmattiascibien Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

Totally agree. I have them both. I recently rediscovered uberenvironment and I found it preety cool :)

edited December 1969

I use DS3 and have just started working with LuxRender. I really like it so far and am not too worried about the long render times. The render below took almost 9 hours in DS, using one distant light and the UberE set to indirect lighting with soft shadows [no map] so I am used to waiting. Being able to do work in the background while rendering in Lux is an added advantage. Also the ability to pause a render or save it out and continue later is great.

noriko_finsihed_887x1400.jpg
    887 x 1400 - 124K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    I use DS3 and have just started working with LuxRender. I really like it so far and am not too worried about the long render times. The render below took almost 9 hours in DS, using one distant light and the UberE set to indirect lighting with soft shadows [no map] so I am used to waiting. Being able to do work in the background while rendering in Lux is an added advantage. Also the ability to pause a render or save it out and continue later is great.

you sure that's a render and not a pic of your cousin or someone?

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    you sure that's a render and not a pic of your cousin or someone?

LOL...thanks Rareth. Nope not a pic and if she was my cousin I'd tell her to put some clothes on. ;-)

Well maybe...

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited January 2013

If your looking for fast renders, Reality/Lux is probably not the best choice. If you want something that makes it easier to predict what the effects of lights/lighting will be, Lux, like any unbiased renderer, makes it much easier. But, as others have said, you really need to understand the interaction between lighting and surface materials/shaders to get the most out of any render engine. The image below was done in DS in about 12 minutes (actually, it took longer than that, the bows on each sandal took about an hour and a half, without the sandals the rest of the image was done in about 12 minutes). It's not the best image, but I think it shows that DS is capable of good renders quickly (done on an i7 quadcore laptop). I used a light setup from Innane Glory's Photo Studio 2, and my own skin shader based on HSS (Human Surface Shader). I'm running a render of the same scene in Reality/Lux right now, and will post the results tomorrow (if it comes out - I haven't used Lux a lot).

I don't think Octane Render will work for what you want to do. If you want 2 V4's, 2 M4's and several props in your scene, unless you have a graphics card with over 3GB of RAM, I don't think you will be able to do it. GPU render engines typically need to load the models and the textures into the video card RAM. This makes rendering complex scenes very difficult if not impossible. You may be able to use Octane by reducing the size (and details) in your texture sets. But it will require a fair amount of additional work to get complex scenes to render in Octane (though they are working on improving this).

Another option to explore would be Carrara 8 Pro (sold here). It has a faster renderer than either DS or Poser, and can use V4, M4, and even Genesis in the 8.5 beta. The only down side is that you typically have to modify the shaders to get the best results. I have an example of a fairly complex scene I did in Carrara 8.1 in my gallery at rendo if your interested (click on the "My Rendo Gallery" link in my sig line). It has Faveral's Medieval Docks with 3 clothed V4's (we mostly clothed), 3 M4's, and a lot of additional props. It was rendered on a Laptop with and old intel core2 duo and 4GB of RAM in about 10 hours, I tested it on my new laptop (i7 quad core) and the render only took 2 hours, and it uses SSS on the V4 shaders (the best results for SSS is the center figure). The image title is "The Captive - Version 2" (sorry, I couldn't direct link to it due to nudity in the image). I have a couple of other images with multiple V4's that were rendered in Carrara as well (Steam Girls and The Plan). They probably aren't quite up to the standard you are looking for, but that's lack of skill on my part, not due to any deficiencies in the Carrara render engine.

Bridget_Sunkissed_bikini.jpg
    465 x 999 - 513K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I have i5 with 16gb ram. Can i get atleast 2 renders in 1 night. Also while your render is running can you play heavy games on it simultaneously.

you can turn down the core usage from the luxrender interface, but with the answer to your question with your setup and potential render questions, no; what you want is not going to happen the way you want,.

Also "rendering" what? What resolution, how many polygons, surfaces, reflections, light sources, displacements, etc. Out of the box V4 and M4 with no backgrounds and no textures no light sources* at 1280x724 would have a finite time, but every render is different and the time involved can can be significantly different for everyone. Setup is an art and every rendering engine has its weak spots and it's strong points that you will need to learn if you wish to get the most out it.

What you can do now, with what you have is set up the files to be queued overnight, that's about the only way you can expect 2 renders in one night with any consistency and that is certainly no guarantee it will actually work for you, but when your system is rendering and all you have is 4 cores leave it alone and let it do its thing.

*Yes, I know LuxRender requires at least one light source.

edited December 1969

Below (first image) is the Reality/Lux version of the image I posted earlier (second image posed again here for easier comparison). I'm very inexperienced with Reality/Lux, as a result it definitely isn't the best render. But I think it is useful for illustration. The render took about 2.5 hours, compared to the 12 minutes for the original DS render. I purposely didn't change any of the materials, and created a light rig similar to the one use in the original image. It clearly shows that it is possible to get decent results it Reality/Lux without editing materials. I'm sure the image could have been rendered faster with some lighting/shader optimization, but I think it's a valid comparison of render speeds between Lux and DS/3Delight.

Bridget_Sunkissed_bikini.jpg
    465 x 999 - 513K
    Bridget_Sunkissed_bikini_lux.jpg
    415 x 1000 - 396K
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    It clearly shows that it is possible to get decent results it Reality/Lux without editing materials. I'm sure the image could have been rendered faster with some lighting/shader optimization, but I think it's a valid comparison of render speeds between Lux and DS/3Delight.

That's not quite true...because the materials have to be 'edited'...Lux does not have the all same parameters or understand the ones it has in common the same way, so there is at least a base conversion being done, by Reality. Whether or not that is really 'optimized' is a different question. And yes, that 'base conversion' is much like a general neither for Poser or DS materials load...you can get a nice render, if yo have decent images (using image based textures) without much optimizing...but by optimizing you can get a much better one, in ANY renderer.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

YOu are better off taking your time to tweak Lux Materials to get the best results you can.

159_-_Salome_3.jpg
    600 x 900 - 343K
    edited December 1969

Great render Mattymanx!

I agree 100% with Mattymanx and mjc1016, regardless of the software/render engine used, to get optimum results you need to understand and be able to edit both the lighting and materials/shaders to get the best results (I'm a self admitted test render-aholic). Lighting and the interaction of the lighting with the surface materials/shaders are critical in the production of great images.

Between this thread, and the other thread regarding rendering in Poser started by the OP, I got the feeling that the OP was looking for the easiest product to get great renders fast, "out of the box" so to speak. I think the two images I posted illustrate the need for editing materials once they are imported into Lux via Reality fairly well. IMVHO, the DS render is much better than the Lux render. But, with the proper attention to better lighting and material setup in Reality, the Lux render would easily equal and/or exceed the quality of the DS render.

Lux produces jaw dropping results in the hands of someone who has taken the time to learn how to set up the lighting and surface shaders. The Reality/Lux gurus can also get fairly fast render times as well (at least in terms of Lux render speeds). But the same is true for DS/3Delight, Poser, and my favorite Carrara. Many of the products created for Poser and DS can give the average user who doesn't really want to look under the hood and kick the tires so to speak, good results out of the box. Many are getting close to the elusive make art button as long as you use the lighting (often included) that the product was designed for. But, given the fact that the OP wants to create larger scenes with multiple V4's, M4's, and props, the possibility of getting everything working together to produce outstanding results without editing the lighting and materials/shaders is probably not a possibility. Fast render times with these types of scenes will also be problematic simply due to the increasing number of calculations the renderer will need to do as more objects are added (and of course material complexity can have a great impact as well).