The robot girl in this weekend's promo

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    Beautiful (and shiny) renders.

What i also really like about this bot version is how seamless it can use V4 materials. Gives it really a lot of possibilities for sf renders.

(render: skin is from Reby sky and Ambient glow from Hitomi Robogeisha)

You just convinced me to get both.

Thankfully, Robo Geisha was on my wishlist so its easy to find! :D

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Bot Genesis has just been updated with Poser Companion files for anyone who might have been waiting for that...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    ..(render: skin is from Reby sky and Ambient glow from Hitomi Robogeisha)

Very nice :)

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:
    Bot Genesis has just been updated with Poser Companion files for anyone who might have been waiting for that...

Any other changes? Or just PCF? (E.g., is there any reason for Studio-only users to reset and re-install?)
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I reset anyway just in case (not a large download, around 29MB)

the installer is now version 1.1

from the readme...

Resolved Issues
    2013-01-23 - 1.1, Poser Companion files added. Minor selection group adjustments for Poser compatibility.

Known Issues
    The Poser Companion files do not include material presets.
    Genesis should be shaped first, then the props loaded in order to fit correctly.

edited December 1969

Making Her Report

My first go with Bot Genesis, rendered with LuxRender.

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    jerham said:
    Beautiful (and shiny) renders.

What i also really like about this bot version is how seamless it can use V4 materials. Gives it really a lot of possibilities for sf renders.

(render: skin is from Reby sky and Ambient glow from Hitomi Robogeisha)

You just convinced me to get both.

Thankfully, Robo Geisha was on my wishlist so its easy to find! :D

Thanks, both are really good products. however keep in mind that Hitomi uses a different UV set and is not supported by Bot Genesis (only v4 uv). Sadly you can not use all the skins on Bot genesis, some small parts do not match (toe's. shoulders)

for those interested i've also posted 2 more renders in the "Set the Stage with the Spectacular World of Genesis - Render Thread!" . both use the Bot Genesis.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Title: New models

Love the colors and how you got the red reflected on her. Nice!

• SpiritWolf448SpiritWolf448 Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:

I unsubscribed from this thread after my last reply.... and would nearly have missed out on this. :ohh:

(Thanks to a certain friend of mine for telling me. You know who you are supposed to be. ;-) )

And a big "Thank you" to Mr. Parris for doing this. Consider yourself praised for at least half an hour. :lol:

*walks off and starts mumbling to himself about bio-luminescent, living metal and other oddities of creation*

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:

I unsubscribed from this thread after my last reply.... and would nearly have missed out on this. :ohh:

(Thanks to a certain friend of mine for telling me. You know who you are supposed to be. ;-) )

And a big "Thank you" to Mr. Parris for doing this. Consider yourself praised for at least half an hour. :lol:

*walks off and starts mumbling to himself about bio-luminescent, living metal and other oddities of creation*

Well blow me down and call me silly. Shows you what I know! I'm glad you get to share the fun now Mister Wolf. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Alright, finally got some play time. From what little I could test so far, it works as expected.

With one exception, I am afraid.

If I use any morph on Genesis that scales the figure on the X axis, like the "Young Teen 5 - Julie" or "Basic Child" morphs, there are complications when importing.

Steps to reproduce this are as follows:

1. Start Poser and start a new, empty scene
    2. Load Genesis
    3. Apply the "Young Teens 5 - Julie" morph, the "Basic Child" morph or any other one that makes use of X Axis scaling
    4. Dial all other morphs you wish to use
    5. With Genesis selected, load "BotGen_All.cr2" and let the DSON importer churn
    6. Wait until everything has settled and see the results

For me, following these steps produces a Bot that has obvious problems with both hands and the left shoulder (funny how the right shoulder works fine....)

Anybody got any suggestions how to fix this?

Here's 2 screenies to show how it currently looks on my end.

PPro2012SR3-DSON_1.0_.0_.56_GenBotRHand_.jpg
    1089 x 1028 - 94K
    PPro2012SR3-DSON_1.0_.0_.56_GenBotFull_.jpg
    941 x 1028 - 88K
    edited December 1969

It would appear that is an issue with the DSON importer for Poser. I just did a quick test loading up YT Julie in Studio, applying BotGen_All to her and none of the distortions you are seeing occur. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but at least it's a data point to use when opening a bug report at bugs.daz3d.com about it.

edited December 1969

I just did. We'll see how it goes.
    Thank you.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I was disappointed to find that the alleged "shader" settings for the bot are actually material presets. I'd thought of several uses for them off of Genesis, but haven't found any way to apply them to surfaces with the wrong names.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Aye, a matching generic shader option would be handy to make additional props look part of the outfit - although it would maybe have to be raytrace only if used on large areas? Anyway, having great fun getting stuck in...

The_Last_Veteran.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 666K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited January 2013

Jabba101 said:
    Aye, a matching generic shader option would be handy to make additional props look part of the outfit - although it would maybe have to be raytrace only if used on large areas? Anyway, having great fun getting stuck in...

Oh very nice render love the character

Post edited by scorpio on
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

I was disappointed to find that the alleged "shader" settings for the bot are actually material presets. I'd thought of several uses for them off of Genesis, but haven't found any way to apply them to surfaces with the wrong names.

The easiest way around this I've found is to select the surface with the shader you want to use, open the 'Shader Mixer' tab, click on 'File' then 'Import from Scene ...'. Then you can select other surfaces and use the 'Apply' button.

Happy shading!

:coolsmile:

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

czexana said:

The easiest way around this I've found is to select the surface with the shader you want to use, open the 'Shader Mixer' tab, click on 'File' then 'Import from Scene ...'. Then you can select other surfaces and use the 'Apply' button.

Happy shading!

Many thanks for sharing this tip! Shader mixer is not something i use much, this is very helpfull!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Yes, this was a great tip :)

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Looks like this is quite a common query - I just noticed there was a thread over in Nuts'n'Bolts a couple of days ago, here, where there's a better layed out answer by BWSman.

edited December 1969

Say, does the bugtracker ( http://www.daz3d.com/bugs/ or https://bugs.daz3d.com ) work for you folks? It has been unreachable for me for close to a day now. And since I am not reporting bugs that often, I don't know if it is normal that it goes down from time to time or something may be amiss.

I always get a time out error ("Server takes too long to respond").

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Say, does the bugtracker ( http://www.daz3d.com/bugs/ or https://bugs.daz3d.com ) work for you folks? It has been unreachable for me for close to a day now. And since I am not reporting bugs that often, I don't know if it is normal that it goes down from time to time or something may be amiss.

I always get a time out error ("Server takes too long to respond").

I just went there & had no problem logging in & viewing bug reports.

edited December 1969

Mh. Strange. It briefly worked for me now, but then went back to displaying an error message. This time about "couldn't find server". *rolls eyes*
    Well, no matter. I made my bug report, so it is in the system. That's all that counts for now. :-)

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

Assuming it's not reliant on a mapped texture, if you select the surface that you like the look of, you can then save it as a shader by pressing the little + in your content library.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Here's mine. I tried to add the tentacles to the forearms too bad, I hadn't read the thread about how to transfer the texture! LOL.

simebot.jpg
    560 x 720 - 64K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    Thanks, both are really good products. however keep in mind that Hitomi uses a different UV set and is not supported by Bot Genesis (only v4 uv). Sadly you can not use all the skins on Bot genesis, some small parts do not match (toe's. shoulders).

...rats, so I guess Cyber Sadie and Cyber Mavka are out too then.

...but it seems to work with Jasmin (at least that looks like her in Jabba101's post on page 2?).

edited January 2013

Sadie and Mavka both use V4's UV. Nata, also from smay, however, has her own UV. Very few characters come with their own UV, in truth. Hitomi, the original source of this comment, does have her own UV, though. Look in the data/DAZ/Genesis/Base/UVSets directory in your content library. That will show you all the custom UVs for the figures you have installed. I think you will find very few in there...

Also, the UV doesn't really preclude you from using Bot Genesis. After all, it did a mighty fine job on the Troll, which also has its own UV. Being a primarily procedural texture, the UV is unimportant for the bot metal look. Only a few sections, like the face, include a map and for that, it will switch Genesis to the V4 UV automatically in those surfaces. The main problem with alternate UVs occur if you want to use the bot parts but retain a mostly human-looking skin, where you have to apply the human skin preset to the skin surfaces of the bot geografts. Only V4-based skins will work for that. But that doesn't prevent you from using Hitomi's shape, just her skin. And there are many toonish skins for the V4 UVs that you could use instead of Hitomi's if you're after a humanoid toon bot look.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...didn't know that. Still used to thinking in Gen4 terms where pretty much every figure (Vicky, Michael, Sadie, etc) had it's own UV set.

Thanks.

I mostly plan to use this more as individual body parts rather than as a whole as I've been looking for good "chrome" for my Cyber future scenes.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

Here's mine. I tried to add the tentacles to the forearms too bad, I hadn't read the thread about how to transfer the texture! LOL.

that's really cool

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited January 2013

RoboCheesecake
    Done using the tip to transfer the metal shader to other surfaces.

RoboCheescake.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 171K
    Post edited by willowfan on