Does poser gives good renders?

edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I easily got this render in poser that too with very less render time.Whereas i never got this good render in daz, also daz render seems to take way too long.
Am i doing something wrong or is below render quality achievable in daz too

q1.png
1387 x 822 - 260K
Post edited by witcherask_a3dd58a1c6 on

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    edited January 2013

It would help to know what you did in Poser to achieve the your results, but the short answer is yes, you can get results as good as this in DS. The link below is to a render I did in DS with no post work other than adding the signature.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2305660

I think that rendering in DS is still a bit slower than Poser, but getting good results with acceptable render times in DS is possible. In fact, for me, getting good results (or maybe I should say the results I want) out of DS is much easier than in Poser. But, many people find it easier to get the results they want out or Poser. It often comes down to which program works best for the way the user thinks.

Edit: Just wanted to add that they both are capable of outstanding results, much better than my render in the link above. It really depends on what you want to do, and which program/interface you prefer.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

edited to fix the link for you

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    edited to fix the link for you

Wow - Thanks Chohole!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That's ok, glad to help I often post links to my own Rendo gallery, so I knew you were missing the http bit.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

DS is quite capable of producing high quality renders. In some cases, many things are easier in one application or the other.

This, for instance, I couldn't do in Poser, but it took me about 20 minutes, including rendering to do in DS. Genesis, with standard character and texture applied, Tatiana Hair, SY Classy Swimsuit, some sandals and a couple of mesh lights I created.

Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 11 minutes 5.5 seconds
    ds-render-qual-raw-01.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 355K
    edited December 1969

LOL, just notice the shoe strap. I'm too lazy to fix. :P

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2013

I easily got this render in poser that too with very less render time.Whereas i never got this good render in daz, also daz render seems to take way too long.
    Am i doing something wrong or is below render quality achievable in daz too

out of the box, I find Poser and DAZ Stuidio Rendering to be fairly even, the only thing giving Poser a slight edge out of the box is the fact it has a manual. Other than that you're still doing google and forum searches to gleam nuggets of wisdom on how to improve your renders.

DAZ I think gets the edge once you get used to it and start digging under the hood.

pinup-maleshirt.jpg
    960 x 960 - 63K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

There is no real difference between render engines, it's all down to what you use in them and how good you are at getting the best out of it.

The biggest difference between DS & Poser is that the vast majority of the content was designed and setup for use in Poser, so your water plane in the other thread works great in Poser as it was designed for it, in that case the vendor did all of the hard work for you. but when you use it in DS it looks like crap as it wasn't designed to be used in DS, so it's up to you to redesign it to work in DS, which usually means new lights, altered surface settings and even making the odd custom shader.

• edited January 2013

Heres a really amazing render done in poser not by me. This is almost real looking. I dont know if you can get any close to this in daz.

Anyway can any1 tell me how to achieve renders like this in either daz or poser.Here what orginal author had to say.

"Yea this is poser, just to give you a rundown in case anyone else uses it.
    Figures are Vicky 4, with Hongyu's new Bikini (one of the best ones realeased).
    I'm using BB's free environment dome, with a cloud map. This provides some of the lighting, I then add 1 spot light to mimic the sun and provide the shadows.
    BB also has a free skin shader system that really makes skin look more realistic, I've added some shine to simulate a little sweat. It's a fairly simple formula, I find outside lighting (sunlight) the easiest to do. I'm using a sand volleyball court I bought, and I placed a ring right in the middle, kinda gives it an outdoor arena feel to it."

I cant understand the part of how to use that environment sphere and cloud map

Image removed

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

BagginsBill is one of the legends in the Poser community. He is behind a significant number of improvements, scripts and other steps towards the improvement of Poser. Arguably he's one of the best there is at Poser. Using his scripts is one of the quickest recipes to excellence in Poser.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Photo-realism is forever the uphill struggle of the aspiring artist. The fact is there's no easy way to get to that level of skill, it simply comes with constantly challenging yourself to improve. The level of realism you can get out of an image is easily proportional to how much work you're prepared to put into it. Everything from the pose to setting up the background plays a part, but lighting is key.

Lighting really can make or break a scene. Compare and contrast these two images. One is done using four lights, and the other is using a single shader light. All of the lighting is vanilla installation lighting which anyone can do after installing the program. The character is not.

Julie_Example_2.png
    210 x 699 - 122K
    Julie_Example_1.png
    210 x 699 - 132K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    BagginsBill is one of the legends in the Poser community. He is behind a significant number of improvements, scripts and other steps towards the improvement of Poser. Arguably he's one of the best there is at Poser. Using his scripts is one of the quickest recipes to excellence in Poser.

And that's one of the things that really ticks me off about the whole argument...BB has worked damn hard to get all that done and it's like 'Hey, look at what Poser can do, right out of the box!', ignoring the fact that without all the work he did, Poser would render like crap and require a lot of time and effort to get decent renders...sort of like DS. DS doesn't really have a BB working to get the most out of the renderer. Yeah, there's a few working on things...but they've barely scratched the surface of making it easier...still requires a lot of tweaking.

I bet here's a little something that few here know...that included in DS, in the bin folder is tdlmake...it's the 3delight image optimizer, it's responsible for all those 'optimizing image' messages when you start a render. But that's not all it can do...it can generate a skymap!

It's a command line option...but the command is, tdlmake.exe -skymap `latitude,longitude,timezone,julian day,time,turbidity' somefilename.tdl (or tif) (all of those are done in numerical form...so something like 40,80,5,12,13.5,2...will generate a skymap for around my location, for today 1/12/13 around 1:30 PM (yes, it's 24-hr/military time) and perfectly clear...you can then plug that skymap into UE2, in place of one of the already existing images and BAM! you've got 'skydome' IBL..unfortunately, it doesn't do clouds, nor does UE2 allow for using the image on it's dome as a 'backdrop'....

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Heres a really amazing render done in poser not by me. This is almost real looking. I dont know if you can get any close to this in daz.

Anyway can any1 tell me how to achieve renders like this in either daz or poser.Here what orginal author had to say.

"Yea this is poser, just to give you a rundown in case anyone else uses it.
    Figures are Vicky 4, with Hongyu's new Bikini (one of the best ones realeased).
    I'm using BB's free environment dome, with a cloud map. This provides some of the lighting, I then add 1 spot light to mimic the sun and provide the shadows.
    BB also has a free skin shader system that really makes skin look more realistic, I've added some shine to simulate a little sweat. It's a fairly simple formula, I find outside lighting (sunlight) the easiest to do. I'm using a sand volleyball court I bought, and I placed a ring right in the middle, kinda gives it an outdoor arena feel to it."

I cant understand the part of how to use that environment sphere and cloud map

Image removed

I removed the image as it wasn't yours - if you want to point to another artist's work as an example of what you are trying to achieve please use a link to their gallery rather than uploading a copy of the image.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I bet here's a little something that few here know...that included in DS, in the bin folder is tdlmake...it's the 3delight image optimizer, it's responsible for all those 'optimizing image' messages when you start a render. But that's not all it can do...it can generate a skymap!

It's a command line option...but the command is, tdlmake.exe -skymap `latitude,longitude,timezone,julian day,time,turbidity' somefilename.tdl (or tif) (all of those are done in numerical form...so something like 40,80,5,12,13.5,2...will generate a skymap for around my location, for today 1/12/13 around 1:30 PM (yes, it's 24-hr/military time) and perfectly clear...you can then plug that skymap into UE2, in place of one of the already existing images and BAM! you've got 'skydome' IBL..unfortunately, it doesn't do clouds, nor does UE2 allow for using the image on it's dome as a 'backdrop'....

I think that is what the plugin Skymap HDR Generator calls to to make its maps.

http://www.daz3d.com/skymap-hdr-generator

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2013

There shouldn't be a problem getting images onto the UE sphere just for reflection.

Get your cloud image to look something like this:

...the white part is below the horizon so I left it blank.

the actual size is up to you it just has to be twice as wide as it is high.

I spent no time on the seam and edges since they're out of shot.
    If you have to then in Photoshop its the usual 'Rectangular to Polar', do your stuff and back to 'Rectangular'.

vincent-sky-.jpg
    701 x 350 - 106K
    Post edited by prixat on
    edited December 1969

Then put it in BOTH the diffuse and ambient channels of the sphere.
    you'll get this:

v2forum.jpg
    601 x 800 - 104K
    v1forum.jpg
    595 x 645 - 87K
    edited January 2013

The sand coloured plane is giving the orangey cast from below.

volley7.jpg
    400 x 600 - 63K
    Post edited by prixat on
    edited January 2013

cipher_X said:
    mjc1016 said:

Damn...I'm in the wrong business...$14 for a 'shortcut'...or...'why are all the good ideas already in the store?'

Yeah, Prixat, not hard, but not set up to do that, by default...like the Poser set up is.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    cipher_X said:

Damn...I'm in the wrong business...$14 for a 'shortcut'...or...'why are all the good ideas already in the store?'

But will it work in DS45?

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Hahaha...that is the way it goes sometimes. :-)

edited January 2013

goofing around I found out I could create an IDL camera
    and have the indirect lighting show up like in this simple scene, inside a white cube, we have IDL shader camera, spot light and a red sphere.

note* reflection strength on the cube is 0

IDL-light-test.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 250K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    and have the indirect lighting show up like in this simple scene, inside a white cube, we have IDL shader camera, spot light and a red sphere.

You did this how?

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Rareth said:

You did this how?

Went into the shader mixers and told it to make a new shader, in the window that pops up I selected camera from the dropdown menu, and gave it a name, then right click to add bricks, root, lighting indirect lighting (camera) and then clicked create.

it it then asks for a name for the new camera, you do that and click OK it adds a new camera to your scene,
    you render through that camera..

edited January 2013

Here's a little something I've been toying around with...

I'll have to give it a shot with the IDL camera when I add shadows to it. Right now it's a single distant light and an environmental light shader (not originally a DS one...but the envlight2 shader packaged with 3Delight). The skin is UberSurface with most of the advanced features actually disabled...SSS IS on. The kicker is...this is rendered at a sahding rate of 4.0...and it took less than 10 minutes to render on my dual core/4 GB machine...at 800 x 1000....it was supposed to be a 'test' render before I turned on the shadows and dropped the shading rate...

008.png
    335 x 365 - 12K
    lookmomitfits2.png
    800 x 1000 - 995K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I'll have to give it a shot with the IDL camera when I add shadows to it. Right now it's a single distant light and an environmental light shader (not originally a DS one...but the envlight2 shader packaged with 3Delight). The skin is UberSurface with most of the advanced features actually disabled...SSS IS on. The kicker is...this is rendered at a sahding rate of 4.0...and it took less than 10 minutes to render on my dual core/4 GB machine...at 800 x 1000....it was supposed to be a 'test' render before I turned on the shadows and dropped the shading rate...

wow that looks great.

edited January 2013

mjc1016 said:

1 question how did you import the 3Delight envlight2 shader into DAZ? I don't see a way to import the shader with the shader builder so it's compiled in a format DAZ can use..

Never Mind, I found the *.SL files for 3Delight will play with those..

good thing I got "The Renderman Shading Language Guide" for the holidays..

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    mjc1016 said:

1 question how did you import the 3Delight envlight2 shader into DAZ? I don't see a way to import the shader with the shader builder so it's compiled in a format DAZ can use..

I'm probably going to make up a tutorial on that (been asked by a couple of others), be a week or two before I can get to it...

There's some info in the old forums, but it's scattered over several threads. One of the big things with most RSL shaders...you need to make a decent UI for them...there's a couple I did awhile ago that I just used the variable names...and now I'm not sure what exactly it does, without cracking open the sl file and looking at the annotations...maybe I'll get around to changing them.

The nice thing about ShaderBuilder is that it compiles the shader and creates the support scripts (definitions, ui, and so on for it) for you. You can do it the 'hard' way and write those out yourself...but not something I recommend.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Rareth said:
    mjc1016 said:

I'm probably going to make up a tutorial on that (been asked by a couple of others), be a week or two before I can get to it...

There's some info in the old forums, but it's scattered over several threads. One of the big things with most RSL shaders...you need to make a decent UI for them...there's a couple I did awhile ago that I just used the variable names...and now I'm not sure what exactly it does, without cracking open the sl file and looking at the annotations...maybe I'll get around to changing them.

The nice thing about ShaderBuilder is that it compiles the shader and creates the support scripts (definitions, ui, and so on for it) for you. You can do it the 'hard' way and write those out yourself...but not something I recommend.

oh I plan on using shader builder, I have the Gooch shader tutorial that I've dug into, the book is just handy information available to help expain how things are supposed to work, I also read through the current RIspec pdf from Pixar (that will help you get to sleep at night)

right now I am playing with the IDL camera I figured out, and doing ALOT of comparison renders with different Daz standard lights, and the area lights (mostly the plane) and playing with the shader mixer learning what goes with what as far as root bricks and how things are supposed to work as the DAZ documentaton for things is rather sparse, and my computer's desktop is getting littered with notepad files from notes I've been taking.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    right now I am playing with the IDL camera I figured out, and doing ALOT of comparison renders with different Daz standard lights, and the area lights (mostly the plane) and playing with the shader mixer learning what goes with what as far as root bricks and how things are supposed to work as the DAZ documentaton for things is rather sparse, and my computer's desktop is getting littered with notepad files from notes I've been taking.

Well, there's at least place holders for some of the info, now...a couple of years ago, when I started using Shader Mixer in DS3, there wasn't that much...

And there's never been a lot of info on getting 'standard' shaders into DS.

Anyway...I dropped the over all shading rate back down to 0.2...and this is the result. It took about an 1 hr 45 mins to do...and with UE2 it was looking to take anywhere from 5 to 8 hrs...

So what does this have to do with the original question...

Well, the answer is yes, DS can do pretty nice renders and do them in a reasonable amount of time...even environmental lighting, if one is willing to a) figure out how...the tools and such to use the various features in DS aren't as readily available (as in just load this, run this script and render) as they are in Poser and b) be willing to experiment to find the best tool for the job. (same reason...the scripts/presets aren't there, so someone else hasn't done all the prep work and made it easy to do). And THAT is where Poser has the advantage...not that DS isn't capable, but rather Poser has had all the work done already.

I, my self, prefer DS...because I have to do the work. It's too easy to just accept what Poser has and not learn the 'how to' behind all those presets/scripts and such. Learning how to set up environmental lighting (in this particular case completely from scratch), for example, also gives one an insight on how to actually use it, when and why to use it...and what the various effects are when using it. It's like cooking...I can make a decent, appetizing meal using boxes and mixes...but to me, it's a better one starting from scratch.

lookmomitfits3.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

here are some results from rendering with IDL shader camera, and without IDL shader camera

image on left is a regular default DAZ camera, image on right was done with the IDL shader camera

IDL-test1.jpg
    785 x 764 - 61K