Lettering and Text Products...

I'm curious why lettering products are not part of the offer.

Do we all use something else or is Text something no one really cares about?

I've seen two products that are blocks of letters and Ron's Text effects, which I think is actually a photoshop brush.

I saw the turtorial on projecting light and I thought about shining a Text Shadow across an entire scene for effect.

-----------

I guess text is still something to be done in post (watermarks and signatures etc)

But I was thinking about...

- Characters interacting with text- sitting, hanging etc and having the shadows include the text.

- Title of the scene or plain text....

- Text on objects like a storefront name or name of a street (instead of editing a surface/skin/mesh/Uv thingie)

- If it was an engine to place text (art/images/.png files), it might become easier to place artwork onto an object. Clothing with text or wrapping text onto an object. Some objects look less real because they don't have logos. Allowing us to palce our own, inside of Daz, might allow us freedom to start using name brand items in our renders without worry from the creative artist. That can can now be coke or pepsi depending on what logo I download and slap on it.

- Animation would be great for designing logos or commercials with text moving about.

* For the main thing, there are some products I hesitate to buy becuase it has text on it. So I prefer kinda plain objects, but some way to change the text -like the name written on the side of a space/sea ship.

Comments

• There are already 3 ways to place an image over the top of an object.  LIE, Geo Shells, and Iray Decals.

• otherwise there is always Carrara with its 3D text primitive that uses all your fonts and can be animated, use modifiers etc like ny object.

You could even export an obj for DAZ studio if so inclined.

Hexagon too has 3D text.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

For hanging text or shadows, I have a full alphabet, numbers and signs in The Playschool.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interiors-the-playschool

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I'm not sure what offer avxp is referring to, but I do agree that it would be great to have more "physical" mesh object fonts for use as signs, labels, adverts, door numbers, etc for use in renders. 

Have you seen:

http://www.daz3d.com/marquee-letters

more of this kind of thing please.

• There are already 3 ways to place an image over the top of an object.  LIE, Geo Shells, and Iray Decals.

Are ther any free tutorials available for these techniques in layman's terms? Preferably in video.

Are ther any free tutorials available for these techniques in layman's terms? Preferably in video.

CGBytes did a video two weeks ago on Geoshells; look in their YouTube channel for it. There might be YouTube videos on the other topics as well.

• I use Font to Mesh Express Converter to create 3D text from any tru-type font. If needed, you can also make the letters very thin to simulate a 2D text

Hi Charlie, I have this software and find that it does not work well with many fonts; the 3d mesh that is produced is often buggy in that holes are often not well formed. The more complex the font, the more problems I see. Another issue is that the 3d meshes produced from some (most of the ones I tried) are not amenable to morphing. If you try applying deformers or brushes in other programs, then the mesh has a tendency to distort unrealistically or simply fall apart. I have the feeling that the algorithm rather neglects flat surfaces and makes edges that are unrealisically sharp. Again I would stress that I haven't tried all fonts.

• Hexagon is probably the simplest as it has a D|S bridge, you can even send it back to create morphs and gets pretty cheap at times

• You can also use phrase maker and it allows you to add text , curves, concave text, etc to props, environment, titles, book covers, etc. You can also color and add shades/materials to txt.

jangofilmlogo.png
    3356 x 1096 - 3M
  • pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181
    edited October 2019

You can also use phrase maker and it allows you to add text , curves, concave text, etc to props, environment, titles, book covers, etc. You can also color and add shades/materials to txt.

Can't find Phrase Maker in the DAZ Store. Only a documentation page. Vendor name not found either.

Too bad, as I plan to make my own book covers.

EDIT: after some more digging found a YouTube video about it that had a link to where it is at Renderosity.

Post edited by pctech4ny on
  • p0rtp0rt Posts: 217
    edited October 2019
    find a vector art program, inkspace requires a plugin for text, then find a program to convert a vector to mesh, which blender can do if you search or just spalsh out and buy paintshop
    Post edited by p0rt on
  • Sketchup is a free sotfware for creating 3D versions of text.  You might want to give it a try.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,375

Both Hexagon3D and Carrara3D can turn text into 3d object models. Any font.

And since the hexagon is free

https://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-2-5-download-version

• Hex has trouble turning a lot of fonts into 3d. Ive dealt with a share of issues taking a hex generated text item into Daz.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

For Hexagon (and many other modelers) you have to triangulate the mesh to de-n-gon it.