Star Trek Builders Unite 3 “Runtime Amok”

Comments

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:
    All comments and critiques appreciated.

Products used:
    Stonemason's Dark Star, P6 Jessi, V4 Courageous w/Myochka's Pike Era Textures, modified by me in Photoshop Elements

In My Trek Universe (IMTU):
    Yeah, I know that these dates don't look right - I am sticking to the original timeline that was in the Blish novelizations (he did work off the final scripts). If that isn't to your liking, subtract 400 years like Gene did later.

One question: Is the lighting aboard your ship supposed to be so dark? Kind of hard to see much of thje Lady ot her location.

I'm going to have to agree here, I run three different monitors and in each case the character is lost in darkness and shadow. Pushing her more to the back of the room so she stands under a light or two might help bring out her face and tunic.

Just a suggestion.

-Paul

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:

Products used:
    Stonemason's Dark Star, P6 Jessi, V4 Courageous w/Myochka's Pike Era Textures, modified by me in Photoshop Elements

Yeah, I know that these dates don't look right - I am sticking to the original timeline that was in the Blish novelizations (he did work off the final scripts). If that isn't to your liking, subtract 400 years like Gene did later.

One question: Is the lighting aboard your ship supposed to be so dark? Kind of hard to see much of thje Lady ot her location.

It is the default lighting set up for the Dark Star product.

Or I could say that she has entered FSG's first facility (a retired station generously awarded to FSG so she and the rest of the ingrates wont be taking up valuable space on Starfleet facilities.)

That was the problem I had with my poser image a page back. the default lighting was causing all the problems. The skin, no matter what one I loaded to my character they all came up red. I guess some default lights are just not worth using.

Good luck with the rest of the images, Looking forward to seeing the rest.

-Paul

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:

Products used:

It is the default lighting set up for the Dark Star product.

Or I could say that she has entered FSG's first facility (a retired station generously awarded to FSG so she and the rest of the ingrates wont be taking up valuable space on Starfleet facilities.)

That was the problem I had with my poser image a page back. the default lighting was causing all the problems. The skin, no matter what one I loaded to my character they all came up red. I guess some default lights are just not worth using.

Good luck with the rest of the images, Looking forward to seeing the rest.

-Paul

So it was the lights then. I finally had to set my lights up in a general multi-puropse pattern, made sure they were all clean of any textures or anything else, tghen save it as Poser's perfered scene under General Preferences. I also saved it as a scene file just in case.

edited April 2013

Just posted a tutorial for those over here explaining how to stop poke through in DAZ Studio.

This being done not by having to play with the morphs but simple clicking of a smoothing modifier.

http://pdsmith.deviantart.com/art/TUTORIAL-Never-have-poke-through-again-for-DAZ-365778140?q=gallery:pdsmith&qo=0

Post edited by PDSmith on
    edited April 2013

Found a fantastic program for creating Fractal images:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apophysis/

It's a freebie. Been playing with it for the last 2 days. Posted this one in my DA gallery. Made the asteroid with the program.

Asteroid-or-Life-form--Daz.jpg
    900 x 900 - 181K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Can't fool me. That's not an asteroid. That's a crystalline entity.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Found this: 2009 Bridge WIP

Peter Wilkes is using Maya 2012 to model.

edited December 1969

Kinda hard to recognize without the lens flares . . . . [wicked grin]

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Kinda hard to recognize without the lens flares . . . . [wicked grin]

Well if you shield your eyes and blink a lot ... might recognize it lol ...

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Can't fool me. That's not an asteroid. That's a crystalline entity.

Might have some crystal in it. :-)

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Having a problem with the Starkiller Connie set......each time I parent the names and numbers to the hull pieces they are supposed to go, the names ans numbers are like miles away from the item, what up with that? o_O

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

I haven't used them, but with most Poser smart-props, if you select the item to which they are supposed to be 'children,' they should snap to place. If that's not selected, then they'll load to their default locations. Once they're parented properly, you should be able to set their location and rotation parameters to 0 and they should be in the correct places.

One of these days, I'm going to finish UV-mapping the other components of the Connie set (I've done only the saucer, so far - it's on ShareCG) so people can use texture maps, rather than modeled numbers for the ship IDs.

edited December 1969

Having a problem with the Starkiller Connie set......each time I parent the names and numbers to the hull pieces they are supposed to go, the names ans numbers are like miles away from the item, what up with that? o_O

You don't have to parent the names and numbers. They're smart props. They're already parented. Parenting them again is probably what's causing your problem.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

You don't have to parent the names and numbers. They're smart props. They're already parented. Parenting them again is probably what's causing your problem.

Well, when I physically move the ship about, the names and numbers don't move with it, they get left behind. So what am I to do?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,818
    edited December 1969

Poser or DS? In Poser, I think you may need to check the scale setting. In DS, make sure Parent in Place is checked (especially if you've moved your ship). Also, if it's a figure and you've moved it using a body part then make sure you parent to a body part and not to the Body itself, which will still be in the zero location.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Well, when I physically move the ship about, the names and numbers don't move with it, they get left behind. So what am I to do?

Okay. I stand corrected. I move the camera instead of the ship so I never noticed. Sorry.:red:

edited December 1969

Poser or DS? In Poser, I think you may need to check the scale setting. In DS, make sure Parent in Place is checked (especially if you've moved your ship). Also, if it's a figure and you've moved it using a body part then make sure you parent to a body part and not to the Body itself, which will still be in the zero location.

Daz 3. When I parent, thenumberst is miles away, to the point where I need to make the scale 1000% just to locate it, and than manually move thousands of units to get it back to where it was. It took me an hour last night to make a properly named and numbered ship....I should not have to do that, it should just be click a button, and boom that's it.

edited December 1969

Also, here's a new one, my idea for a furry based take on Trek, and making thehero ship look a little different from the ToS, BUT respecting the original.

Bridge_Crew.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 573K
    LExinton_Fur.jpg
    962 x 870 - 405K
    Yorktown_Barsoom.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 410K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited April 2013

I recently purchased HFS Space System by DarioFish. I unzipped the files to my runtime directory, opened Poser 9, place a planet prop in the scene and "attempted" to apply one of the MAT files to the planet. Nothing changed. I went to the material room to see if any if the textures were applied and nada. Opened the pose file in a text editor and everything looks correct. For some reason I cant get the textures to apply from the pose file. All the material zones are matching the pose file but nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong? I tried to find a tutorial on the product and came up empty. I would've thought there might have been one in the zip files but came up empty. Help!

David

Post edited by GRFK DSGN Unlimited on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

Also, here's a new one, my idea for a furry based take on Trek, and making thehero ship look a little different from the ToS, BUT respecting the original.

Looks like fun stuff, nice work.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

The only solution I can think of is to make the OBJ into figures and then alter the PZ2 files and see what happens.

David

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The only solution I can think of is to make the OBJ into figures and then alter the PZ2 files and see what happens.

David

Or convert the .pz2's to .mc6's

edited December 1969

How do I do that? Do I just make a copy and change the extension?

David

edited December 1969

More shots of my customized Yorktown. :D

Spacedock3.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 429K
    spacedock2.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 520K
    Spacedock1.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 232K
    edited December 1969

I ended up editing the prop in my CR2 editor and adding in the materials and then saving it as a copy. I then opened Poser and made a materials file. I then took the materials back into my CR2 editor and started copying and pasting the material info from the PZ2 into my base MC6 file and save it out under a new name. So far it’s working. Just a shame that I have to go to such extremes to get it work.

David

earth_planet_01.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
    volara_planet_03.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Question: The Trill homeworld. is it named Trill- Like Vulcans live on Vulcan?

edited December 1969

Memory Alpha is not sure. While it has numerous references to "the Trill Homeworld", the name is not clearly established. The most likely two seem to be Trillius Prime, and Trill. However, if it has not been clearly established, that leaves other possibilities open as well.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Memory Alpha is not sure. While it has numerous references to "the Trill Homeworld", the name is not clearly established. The most likely two seem to be Trillius Prime, and Trill. However, if it has not been clearly established, that leaves other possibilities open as well.

Well, I'll take the Vulcan route then. It's the simplest. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.