Problem Moving Data to External Drive

So I moved all of my content on my pc to the new drive with absolutely no issues.  However, I just finished moving my laptop content to a new drive as well and its not working as well as the pc move.  I've done everything the same, everything matches between the laptop and the pc.  Its finding my installed content just fine and downloading where its supposed to.  However, all of the items listed in the products list and my custom categories are all still pointing to the C drive and I can't find any way to point them to the E drive unless I go through and do each item manually (right click and physically change from c drive to e drive.  Any idea how to fix this?  I should add that the laptop is still 4.8 and staying that way while the pc is 4.9

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I should add that I also updated all of the meta data as well.

So it looks like the DAZ Studio Formats, the Poser Formats and the Other Import Formats are all correct.  Its just the Products and the Categories and there is no where to change them as a whole. They don't show up in the content directory manager.  I can't find anywhere that will point those two, to the correct drive.  Its taken me an hour to get half way through the A's doing it manually lol. That's as far as I've been able to narrow the problem down

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited February 2017

The account.ini file in UserAccounts (for DIM) on your old installation may be the issue; paths etc need to point to where everything is now.

For instance, I have: CurInstallPath=E:/Documents/Daz 3D All Libraries/Daz 3D Library

If things are different, it can cause issues. There are other files, and I know I had an issue, that took me a bit to track down when i was messing with stuff; can't remember now what I did.

I changed my user name for my login once when doing a reinstall (instead of recovering from a disk image), and that was a pain. Some paths C:/Users/<YOU_USER_NAME>/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/InstallManager, will obviously cause issues if it changes; Windows isn't case sensitive, but Linux and Macs (as it's a UNIX certified OS) are.

One place to look is, C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\

... presuming you are Windows.

Post edited by nicstt on

Okay I will have to try and track those down when I get home from work.  I thought I had everything but apparently not.  Interestingly enough, I did not have this problem when I moved my stuff to an external drive on my pc.  And at the moment, everything looks exactly the same for the pc and the laptop.  So there must be something else on the laptop files that I need to change that for some reason, I did not on the laptop. I'm always terrified to change anything lol.

C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\

okay I have found this but not sure what to do with it.  I opened installmanager Use Accounts.

I'm thinking I need to change Download Path C/ to the new Download path E/ ?

current install path  software64 and 32 all show the correct E Path but the above does not.

C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\

okay I have found this but not sure what to do with it.  I opened installmanager Use Accounts.

I'm thinking I need to change Download Path C/ to the new Download path E/ ?

current install path  software64 and 32 all show the correct E Path but the above does not.

You can try it; copy and paste the existing path to save it somewhere.

You could also copy and paste the file to ensure you have a backup if anything goes wrong.

If everything is the same on the desktop, including your username, you could copy and paste the folder from: C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\ on your PC and paste it to the same place on your laptop. It does need to be exactly the same. Same user names, same paths on C drive, same on other drive(s) where the various DAZ parts that you moved are.

Note; make a backup of the Laptop's DAZ 3D folder and contents first.

I don't think I can use the pc's folders as they are 4.9.  The laptop is 4.8 so things aren't exactly the same in some places.  I think I need to find where the program and categories folders are and point them to the E drive.  But that's proving a bit difficult lol.

BTW, I often just backup these two Studio folders and contents; it's the easiest way of saving the various settings including custom actions for scripts. It is usually also possible to copy the contents of beta to release and vice-versa; leastwise, I've not yet had any catastrophic events. :)

daz.JPG
    397 x 252 - 22K

I will give that a try.

Ugh I give up.  I cannot find the spot that changed the base data path for the porducts listing or the categories listing.  There are some other things I could try like resetting the database but I don't know what that does and I don't know how to undo it if I do and it messes things up further.  New stuff I download all goes to the right place its just the items already downloaded. all 4800 of them.  I guess I am going to have to reset those all by hand.  Ugh ugh ugh...!

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,108

Do you still have the old path listed in Daz preferences? And are the products still in those directories as well as being copied to the new drive?

Not sure if it will help, but you are keeping the old directories, then maybe move the ones you want to use to the top of the list. (I think there were arrows to do that.

I only moved my connect library to my external drive. I replaced the path in Daz preferences. You can only have one active Connect path. I guess I could have listed the old Daz connect library to the regular list of directories, but I removed all the content from the old location. Richard said I would have to reinstall the Daz Connect content. He said I could select multiple items at once. He said DS would see that they were already in the new location and not really reinstall them. But when I went to do this, none of the products showed in the install window. Then I right clicked on one of the products and I saw they were all switched already.

Have you tried to load one of the items. Maybe when it can't find it, it will look in the other directories and find it and then cause the database to update.

edited February 2017

I only copied the MyDaZ3dLibrary over to the new drive and left everything else where it was.  Changed the paths in both the content database inside Daz Studio and in all the DIM paths.  I don't have connect as the laptop is still 4.8 (and staying that way lol).  If I try and load one of the files it just tells me it doesn't exist. Although once I direct it manually to the E drive everything works fine. This is what it looks like.  Everything above products works fine.  Its not changing the product path or the categories path to match the new drive, even though everything is pointing to the new drive.

Fullscreen capture 2132017 82310 PM.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 316K
    Fullscreen capture 2132017 82942 PM.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 316K
    Fullscreen capture 2132017 83032 PM.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 367K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,108

Are you sure that your path exactly matches what is listed in Preferences? That there are no inverted letters or extra spaces? Your external path is short but if you type it, it is easy to add an extra space or twist two letters.

What do you paths look like under preferences?

Is you drive letter changing? When you boot up the laptop, does it always get the same letter?

And your library on the E drive, it is a folder in the root and not put is a sub folder like Daz 3d?

I'm just thinking of anything that might go wrong? But I would carefully check the path you entered against the actual path and folders.

I will double check again.  I basically copied and pasted the file names so I wouldn't get it wrong but who knows lol. The library on the e drive is not put in a sub folder maybe that is the problem.  Will check all of these things thank you!

And thank you also @nicstt for your help and patience as well.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,068

I have an external drive on my laptop but it comes up as the F: drive as there is a C: drive for Windows; a D: drive for Data and an E: drive for the DVD Drive. Have you checked that the drive is using the correct drive letter?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,068

Something else I remembered. Have you set the Directory Path in Studio to the external drive.

edit/preferences/content/content directory manager/current directories.

directory-path.jpg
    968 x 627 - 72K

Yes, I only have a C drive and the D drive is the dvd drive.  So the E drive is the external one.  I did set the directory path inside of Studio as well.  The odd thing is, the only things not recognizing the new drive is the products folder and my custom categories folder.  The my library, poser and other folders are correct.  Everything new loaded through DIM is going to the correct place in the E drive and Studio finds it just fine.  Its JUST those two folders and is only affecting content already loaded.  I can manually change each item to the E drive but I can't find anywhere to point the current content in the products list to the right drive.  I think this may have to do with the fact that its 4.8 because moving things on my pc which is 4.9 went flawlessly.