Reality 4 Changing the renderer?

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited February 2017 in The Commons

GTX 1070's dont seem to like the current version of lux renderer provided by Reality 4. Is there any way to change the renderer? The renderer menu don't have any options that I can see.

It crashes no matter what setting I have it on. I cant say for certain if its my card, or reality 4 or lux but I suspect lux hasnt been updated to handle GTX 1070's

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

GTX 1070's dont seem to like the current version of lux renderer provided by Reality 4. Is there any way to change the renderer? The renderer menu don't have any options that I can see.

It crashes no matter what setting I have it on. I cant say for certain if its my card, or reality 4 or lux but I suspect lux hasnt been updated to handle GTX 1070's

There should be a way to uncheck the GPU with OpenCL Rendering if you go to scene configuration...

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,959

Make sure your OpenCL group size is set to a high enough value (mine is at 64, which seems to work).

Reality 4 (at least the latest and last couple of releases) installs a version of LuxRender and it puts it where it wants to put it and you cannot change that, so ... the two (Reality and LuxRender) shoudl be good - assuming you have the latest version of Reality and a fairly current nVidia driver?

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

I update my driver everytime I get a notification. Just updates it today. No go. Also unchecking OpenCL leads to CPU rendering. I dont want to not use my card. I paid good money for it. I'd like to be able to use it.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,959

What version of Reality do you have?  As a double-check, if you navigate to the location of LuxRender and opena command prompt what version is reported if you use: luxconsole -v ?

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

I believe it works like so:

To use classic luxrender as your engine just select CPU only.

To use luxcore (the new engine currently being developed/updated) use CPU accelerated (with or without extra boost). I believe but am not certain that opengl currently also uses luxcore. But I could be wrong.

Also might help to ask over at the reality forums: http://preta3d.com/forums/index.php