Using renders in a visual novel

wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
edited February 2017 in The Commons

Would it be possible to use renders in a commercial visual novel?

Post edited by wizard1200 on

Comments

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912

Yes, according to terms of service.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707
    edited February 2017

...that is what I am doing. 

As long as it is a finished rendered work you created, you have the rights to it.  Just be careful if you use freebies to read the ReadMe as some which are faithfully representative of a real world branded item (like say a car, aeroplane, or electic guitar) are usually only for allowed personal not commercial use and publishing in a book, be it in paper form or on the Net, would constitute commercial distribution. 

You are safe with any content in the store here.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Thank you very much for your help.

I guess that using a rendered video in a visual novel would be ok, too, because it is a finished render, right?

...as long as you were the creator, and it didn't include any "personal use only" content, yes.

• In the case of the freebies you could always ask the authors if they would allow you to use them in a commercial capacity as long as the freebies aren't based on other copyrighted materials such as Disney/Pixar Movies or Marvel/DC/Image comics as a few examples, the reason alot of freebies are marked as Non-commercial Use Only is because the author doesn't own the right to allow people to use their items in a commercial project, these type of freebies fall under a category called Fan Art, occasionally the author isn't interested in people using their items commercially.

Typically if it is a site that you can purchase the content from, using the content commercially is included in that sites EULA (End User License Agreement),

When it comes to purchased content I would strongly recommend ONLY using content commercially that you know to be from Legitimate sites such as this site, Renderosity, Content Paradise, RuntimeDNA(Now Closed), PoserPros(Now Closed) or 3Dcommune(Now Closed) to mention a few.

I hope you find this info useful and if you need anything clarified please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day,

~Dave

edited February 2017

...many freebie creators list usage conditions either in the ReadMe or on the item page (I see the latter frequently on ShareCG). 

Some sites like Turbosquid (yes, they do have .obj freebies there) make it a point to list conditions and limitations for all products, free or otherwise.

Again this is usually in the case where someone creates a free model of an actual trademarked item that they do not have the IP rights for like for example a bottle of Coca Cola, or a Chevrolet Camaro SS 396.  So if you are doing say, a James Bond type secret agent story for example, best to use the Spy Car from here in Daz store which reasonably resembles 007's Aston Martin DB4 rather than a free mesh of the actual vehicle.

Companies tend to be very protective of their trademarks.  For example in 1989, Beretta firearms of Italy sued GM in federal court seeking $250 million in damages for violating it's trademark (which was registered here in the US as well) after the car company released a Chevrolet model with the same exact name.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Thank you very much again for your help.