Coming soon - The Complete Guide to Creating Iray Shaders (Commercial)

Digital Art LiveDigital Art Live Posts: 121
edited February 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO CREATING IRAY SHADERS

NEW MINI SERIES!

The course will start with the first webinar live this Saturday the 4th of February followed by two other live webinars on subsequent dates.

The HD webinar recordings will be made available in the DAZ store, most likely towards the end of February.

At the live sessions, you can learn a little faster, ask questions on the spot, go deeper on certain topics and have steps repeated if necessary. 

STARTS THIS SATURDAY FEBRUARY 4TH - 20:00 GMT London/12:00 PST Los Angeles/15:00 EST New York

There will be two main sessions, some homework and then a Bonus Follow Up Session to mark your homework!

IRAY is a physically based renderer used in DAZ Studio and it calculates the behaviour of light in a way as close to reality as possible. In this live webinar workshop we would like to help you create Iray shaders from start to finish. We'll have emphasis on how to observe materials closely in order to replicate their properties as a shader.

Presenting the two sessions will be Esha, who was one of the original pioneers of creating Iray shaders with DS; she was one of the first DAZ published artists to experiment with Iray and learn it all from scratch.

She'll take you through the whole process of shader creation and then go in depth with seven very useful case studies of different shader materials. Join us for these invaluable sessions!

Control the Magic of IRAY

CAN'T MAKE THESE LIVE WEBINARS?

REGISTER FOR THE LIVE SESSIONS AND YOU'LL RECEIVE THE HD RECORDINGS

Session 1 : Saturday 4th February 

20:00 GMT London/12:00 PST Los Angeles/15:00 EST New York

1. Foundations

Shader vs. Shader Preset
The Iray Uber shader
Iray and 3Delight

2. Gathering reference images

3. How to set up a material

Using a preset as a base
From scratch

4. Analysing a material

Color
Structure
Glossiness
Special Effects

5. Preparing the maps (part 1)

Session 2 : Saturday 11th February

20:00 GMT London/12:00 PST Los Angeles/15:00 EST New York

5. Preparing the maps (part 2)

Photos
Texture Software
Painted in Photoshop

6. Case Studies

Matte material (fabric)
Glossy material (polished stone)
Metallic material (silver, gold)
Refractive material (glass, water)
Translucent material (flower petals, cream)
Emissive material (light bulb)
Special Effects materials (sci-fi style)

Bonus Session : TBA

PRESENTED BY ESHA

Post edited by Digital Art Live on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited January 2017

Will this also become available through the DAZ Store later?

Scratch that.

She who is too stupid to read properly doesn't deserve any better.

I love the topic of this seminar, and currently debate if I should sign up for the life part, or wait for the store part. Probably the latter, because of my low attention span.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm very glad this will be in the store as well.  I'm not quite to the point where I will be able to make good use of this just yet but hopefully soon

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2017

Sigh ...

No pdf ...

I can read English perfectly fine, thank you, but understanding the spoken words is a different matter altogether. So far I have bought here or downloaded on youtube about 30 video tutorials, didn't finish a single one of them, as I always reached a point where I simply didn't understand any longer what was going on in the video. Just couldn't figure out what it was they were speaking about.

Post edited by cherpenbeck on

Sigh ...

No pdf ...

I can read English perfectly fine, thank you, but understanding the spoken words is a different matter altogether. So far I have bought here or downloaded on youtube about 30 video tutorials, didn't finish a single one of them, as I always reached a point where I simply didn't understand any longer what was going on in the video. Just couldn't figure out what it was they were speaking about.

Well, it is a live presentation and interactive, so I don't expect a pdf-document (unless that would be part of the "learning materials", and the Workshop improves on that).

If this becomes a shop-video-tutorial later on, it's a different bag of beans, of course.

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

There

Sigh ...

No pdf ...

There is software available that enables you to "tape" both visual and audio of what appears on screen "Replay Video Capture" to name one.

There is a plus in listening to a tutorial by someone of a different language.

If you are really interested in learning the subject, there are portions you have to listen to a few times to understand.

The best tutorials I have learned from , have been done by people who do not speak English that well.

Best of luck

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Ooh, this sounds really good! 

• I'm very glad this will be in the store as well.  I'm not quite to the point where I will be able to make good use of this just yet but hopefully soon

Hi Sonja,

Thanks for your interest and hope your exploration and learning of creating Iray shaders will benefit you once you're ready.

• So just to clarify, as part of the registration for the live webinar, we also provide the HD recording and that will include the desktop recording from the presenter, which provides a superior framerate.

I'll talk to Esha about a step by step PDF guide, but I can't promise this as part of the package at this stage.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,227

Hello there!

I can see your point about a pdf but this is a workshop approach. It's not "first do this, then do that" so it would be hard to put that into a pdf.
    I'm not a native speaker of English myself but I think (and hope) that my English isn't too difficult to understand. Actually, for non-native speakers it's often easier to understand other non-natives than native speakers.
    There will also be a lot of images.

Actually, what I can do is put all the example images together into a pdf so you have some pictures to match with the shader properties. Would that help?

Yes, it would be easier to me if I can familiarize myself with what you are going to refer to. (I'm a bit excited, because I actually blew my entire remaining 3D budget for this month and signed up for this workshop... smiley)

Do we get a list of things we need to have running to try out things, like DS? Also, are you going to work on DS 4.8 or 4.9 (if there's any difference in the shader creation)?

• I will have to wait for the store, but I can hardly wait!

• BeeMKay said:

Yes, it would be easier to me if I can familiarize myself with what you are going to refer to. (I'm a bit excited, because I actually blew my entire remaining 3D budget for this month and signed up for this workshop... smiley)

Do we get a list of things we need to have running to try out things, like DS? Also, are you going to work on DS 4.8 or 4.9 (if there's any difference in the shader creation)?

Esha will be using DS 4.9 pro. We'll be talking about the requirements of creating maps, but you won't need Photoshop to follow along in this tutorial.

• Darn it. Too many choices for webinars this month . 

This is definitely something I will get when it hits the store :) 

Hi Bee,

I've made example renders for the single shader properties and put them all into one file, with comments and explanations, so you'll get a nice reference guide :)

By the way, we're not going to paint any texture maps in this webinar. That is too extensive a topic, it would merit its own webinar. Besides, there are several good sources for textures out there.
    We're concentrating only on what the shader is actually doing and where we should plug in the maps, wherever we got them.

• pdspds Posts: 593
    esha said:

Hello there!

I can see your point about a pdf but this is a workshop approach. It's not "first do this, then do that" so it would be hard to put that into a pdf.
    I'm not a native speaker of English myself but I think (and hope) that my English isn't too difficult to understand. Actually, for non-native speakers it's often easier to understand other non-natives than native speakers.
    There will also be a lot of images.

Actually, what I can do is put all the example images together into a pdf so you have some pictures to match with the shader properties. Would that help?

That would be excellent! Looking forward to this when it hits the store!

esha said:

Hi Bee,

I've made example renders for the single shader properties and put them all into one file, with comments and explanations, so you'll get a nice reference guide :)

By the way, we're not going to paint any texture maps in this webinar. That is too extensive a topic, it would merit its own webinar. Besides, there are several good sources for textures out there.
    We're concentrating only on what the shader is actually doing and where we should plug in the maps, wherever we got them.

Thank you, esha! This is sure going to be helpful.

I'm very much looking forward to this tonight.

I have a problem, though. The guide says to download the fuze desktop, which I try to do, but the links to the software are all dead in the pdf. I went to the fuze site, but I don't see the download for the software anywhere. How can I optain the desktop software?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Can we use this product to convert 3delight shaders?

• BeeMKay  this link should get you there : https://www.fuze.com/download

Srene Night, this is a tutorial on how to create Iray shader... I somewhat doubt that it will help you convert 3Dl shader

BeeMKay  this link should get you there : https://www.fuze.com/download

Thank you!

In a way, yes. I do mention conversion from 3DL, too. And if you know what the properties of the Iray shaders are doing it will be much easier for you to correct the converted shaders, and set up new ones from scratch.

A great workshop so far! I'm looking forward to the next session. smiley

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

Hi, is there going to be any expert info/tips about skin, eye and hair shaders. Those are the hardest for me to tackle, and if you have some good info about those, I'm more than interested to buy the seminar when it gets released in the shop. Like what each setting do, what map goes where etc. DS is a great program, but finding good infromation how use it is such a chore.

We went through the PBR Metallicy/Glossiness settings / dials today, and also got a great pdf with explanation and example of each render setting. There's more of that next week, and then the schedule says maps and stuff are covered. The information I got so far was very useful, and I had a few "Ah... so that's why..." moments. 

• I'm kind of bummed that I missed seeing this thread until today.  I would have loved signing up for the seminar.  Will definitely have to get once it hits the store.

• I'm kind of bummed that I missed seeing this thread until today.  I would have loved signing up for the seminar.  Will definitely have to get once it hits the store.

Hi Knittingmommy,

I've opened up the course, so that you can come in on the second session. If you sign up, I'll send you the recording of the first session so you can catch up in time for the second session on Saturday. There's also a third session which is a follow-up after some "homework" has been set in session 2, so you effectivly have two live webinars still to attend if you take this up.

https://digitalartlive.com/event/daz-studio-iray-workshop/

• Hi. Lovely!  However, I was looking to see how to get everything set up before I register so I can make sure I won't have technical difficulties.  So, I need help.  The FAQ says you use Fuze.  I followed the link in the FAQ to Fuze and registered an account.  I can log in so everything looks fine.  However, I can't get to the page where the webinar application is.  It won't let me sign into the portal to get to the application.  I've been trying since this morning.

Am I missing something?  Sorry for the Newbie question, but I've never done a live webinar before.  Did anyone doing this class set things up for the first time for this class that can give me some pointers?  I'm not sure what information I'm missing to get to the application so I can get it installed. 

edited February 2017

Hi knittingmommy,

I was in the same situation as you. You can download the software at https://www.fuze.com/download

Once that is installed, you can log in, and use the room number that comes with registration of the course. But you can only enter shortly before the webinar takes place. It's really easy to set up.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • BeeMKay said:

Hi knittingmommy,

I was in the same situation as you. You can download the software at https://www.fuze.com/download

Once that is installed, you can log in, and use the room number that comes with registration of the course. But you can only enter shortly before the webinar takes place. It's really easy to set up.

Thanks for assisting Knittingmommy BeeMKay, I've also passed on some pointers to her on using Fuze.

• sounds very useful :)

• Thanks, @BeeMKay.  I checked out the link and that gets me to a page I hadn't found so I should be able to get that all set up here in few minutes.  I watched the first session so I'm all set for today's session.  

There was a question about the emissive lights that Esha couldn't answer.  I just thought I'd give an answer here since I knew it.  Yes, you can hide an emissive light and it will still light your scene.  You just turn the cutout opacity down way low to like 0.000001 so that it is still visible to the rendering engine, but not to human eyes.  It will still cast light to your scene, but the actual geometry of the object won't be visible in the scene.  You can play with the number of zeros in there.  It doesn't have to be exactly the same number of zeros I gave.  That's just the number I usually use when I do that sort of thing.