February 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Delirious said:
    Shortcut said:
    Delirious said:

Another revision playing around with things. I got more light on the tablecloth to make it look whiter, got the front of the character's shirt to have white highlights, and I lowered the temperature of the light from the fire--which had the effect of making the foreground less orange and more red. I am thinking of experimenting with putting multiple emissives in the fireplace and setting them at different temperatures to see if I can produce a kind of "flickering" effect in the light from the fireplace. As it is now I don't think it looks like light from a fire. Any ideas or suggestions?

You might try emulating a gobo, which is a physical pattern used by photographers and in theatre to control how light is shaped. It’s placed in front of a light source to create different shapes in the light which are then cast onto the scene.

You might be able to use the primitives in the software to make a gobo with a pattern that simulates ‘flickering’ or a dappled light effect. Not sure how that would be done though to make a complex pattern such as that, but it must be possible. Anyone?

You need to create an opacity map, a black and white image, in a 2D program like PhotoShop or GIMP.  You can either create your own flame shapes or do a search for a free image.  You want the flames to be white and the background to be black.

Then in DS load a plane, rotate it so it stands upright or at whatever angle you need, usually along the x axis, then load your black & white image in the opacity channel.

Hopefully this will give you the desired results.

Thanks Kisment, and Shortcut! This is a great idea, I look forward to giving it a go

Need to put this in my notes

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited February 2017

Over investing in the mash-up of my other two renders...

ShelfNoirMashup3.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 871K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
  • yhzmurphy said:
    Delirious said:
    cismic said:

yhzmurphy said:
    Here's version c of this, I would have had it posted 3 days ago but at the time my grandmother whom I've been living with since my father pasted away about 13 years ago was admited with a uti into the hospital. Sounds like she's doing better, if it weren't for some tests that they were waiting on the results from she might have come home yesterday. But it wasn't to be so maybe this afternoon.

@Shinji Ikari 9th - Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  Hope she recovers and is home soon.

@yhzmurphy - Thanks for your kind words. The latest I've heard is that they are going to transfer her to rehab in the next few days.

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017
    yhzmurphy said:
    Shortcut said:

One thing I have noticed is a strange line running through the middle of the reflective floor (see other attached). I thought it might have been a reflection of an object in the scene or something casting a shadow, but there is nothing of the sort that would create this kind of long, hard edge in that location. Does anyone have any insight what could be causing that?if you rotate the floor, does the line rotate with it?  That would narrow down if it's the floor's surface or something else in the scene.

If you rotate the floor (object/plane/whatever it is) does the seam move with it?  That could narrow down if it's the floor or something else in the scene.

Thanks for that suggestion. Rotating the floor did move the lines elsewhere but did not eliminate them. Lowering the ground or switching the "draw ground" option to off in the environment settings seemed to fix it.

EDIT: Got the person wrong - nested quotes! @Shinji - Hope your grandma gets better soon :-)

Post edited by Shortcut on
  • ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017

Sleeping female figure floating in air and wrapped in red silk cloth

Okay, I was getting bogged down in the whole concept/composition thing and the main task at hand – lighting – was suffering. It was too ambitious, with too many reflective surfaces for iray to bounce around on, and meant it was a nightmare to light and achieve the look I was visualising in my head. Even though I have some understanding of how light works in the real world, I’m a beginner when it comes to lighting in DAZ and I’ve taken the plunge into iray and don’t even know what 99% of the settings do.

Change of tactic – a simpler scene with less reflective surfaces. I want colour and I’ve kept the “sleeping beauty” from the previous image because the pose took a lot of fiddling to get just so and I don’t want to spend more hours on it. I love the effect of the dynamic sheet so I’m keeping that too. In all, this month has become an exercise in seeing what things do in DAZ rather than an example of an image I want to convey an idea with.

I’m starting out with one light and getting that right first, trying colour tints and intensities etc to see their effect and practice using the settings in the surfaces tab. I got to play around with some shaders too, which was very interesting.

Aaaaaand ..... It turns out the lighting setup won’t be as simple as I planned :p  On account of the sheet, there are a few shadows and unlit areas which need some attention. Work in progress … :-)

Sleeping Beauty_01_6500K_white.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 655K
    Post edited by Shortcut on
    edited February 2017

Shortcut said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Shortcut said:

One thing I have noticed is a strange line running through the middle of the reflective floor (see other attached). I thought it might have been a reflection of an object in the scene or something casting a shadow, but there is nothing of the sort that would create this kind of long, hard edge in that location. Does anyone have any insight what could be causing that?if you rotate the floor, does the line rotate with it?  That would narrow down if it's the floor's surface or something else in the scene.

If you rotate the floor (object/plane/whatever it is) does the seam move with it?  That could narrow down if it's the floor or something else in the scene.

Thanks for that suggestion. Rotating the floor did move the lines elsewhere but did not eliminate them. Lowering the ground or switching the "draw ground" option to off in the environment settings seemed to fix it.

PS: Hope your grandma gets better soon :-)

I'd speculate that the floor line issue was either an interaction with the floor object and the environment 'floor' or a seam between vertices in the floor object.  Good to hear you were able to solve it.

Wow - another really creative one - I love the sense of flow of the fabric, and it seems to bouy her up.  Given your real-world experience, I expect you'll 'get' iray quicker - although the light settings will be waaaaaay higher than you'd expect, light [mostly] works more like real world (in my extremely ill-informed opinion based on not much experience).

edited February 2017

Another quick update - spent waaaaay too much time fighting (um, I mean learning) rudimentary UV Mapping to be able to have the boarding pass be on the overly complicated but slightly bent/crumpled object I created for it instead of just a prim.  I also bent s couple of the matches in the book, mostly because there should be one missing (her cigarette was lit with something) and there's always a couple of bent ones after you open the package.  As usual with these challenges, what I start with seems to be taking on a life of it's own... Any comments/questions/input?

ShelfNoirMashup4.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 883K
  • yhzmurphy said:

Another quick update - spent waaaaay too much time fighting (um, I mean learning) rudimentary UV Mapping to be able to have the boarding pass be on the overly complicated but slightly bent/crumpled object I created for it instead of just a prim.  I also bent s couple of the matches in the book, mostly because there should be one missing (her cigarette was lit with something) and there's always a couple of bent ones after you open the package.  As usual with these challenges, what I start with seems to be taking on a life of it's own... Any comments/questions/input?

I like the combination of the two shots and how they complement each other in terms of the story.

With the lighting, is there any possibility of you adding a blue light to make it really obvious that the police is outside? The combination of blue/red also works really well in low lit scenes – think Blade Runner – and helps convey a sense of danger/emergency.

One thing – at the moment and because it is so dark, the mirror could easily be confused as a picture in a frame. Perhaps you could make the blue/red flashing lights a lot more obvious as well as even partially tint the room with their colour to help convey the scene?

edited February 2017

Shortcut said:

I like the combination of the two shots and how they complement each other in terms of the story.

With the lighting, is there any possibility of you adding a blue light to make it really obvious that the police is outside? The combination of blue/red also works really well in low lit scenes – think Blade Runner – and helps convey a sense of danger/emergency.

One thing – at the moment and because it is so dark, the mirror could easily be confused as a picture in a frame. Perhaps you could make the blue/red flashing lights a lot more obvious as well as even partially tint the room with their colour to help convey the scene?

Great suggestions, Shortcut.  I gave them a try.  Hopefully this conveys more danger/police/etc.  I also changed the camera slightly and moved the props on the shelf to have more of them reflected in the mirror - again to help make it clear that it's a mirror and not a dramatic framed image.  One thing I tried for lighting placement that worked well was using the light as the 'camera' in the main workspace.  For tight beams (like the police lights) it made it easy to put them where i wanted the light to go.  That said, the light direction for lighting the interior through the window is not the same as having the lights visible in the blinds, so I had to use additional spot lighting inside to get the effect.

Also, anyone know how to add just a bit of dust/smoke to get light beams to show up?  That might be cool if I can pull that off as well, for the light coming through the blinds...

ShelfNoirMashup6.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1016K
    edited February 2017

I found a tutorial on iray dust/smoke/godrays online and gave it a try.  Not the fastest render ever - but interesting addition.  Not sure if I can get this to work with the combined render - certainly going to be a case of "save under a new name" before setting it up and borking everything ;-)

Noir8.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 914K
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited February 2017
    Shortcut said:

Okay, I was getting bogged down in the whole concept/composition thing and the main task at hand – lighting – was suffering. It was too ambitious, with too many reflective surfaces for iray to bounce around on, and meant it was a nightmare to light and achieve the look I was visualising in my head. Even though I have some understanding of how light works in the real world, I’m a beginner when it comes to lighting in DAZ and I’ve taken the plunge into iray and don’t even know what 99% of the settings do.

Change of tactic – a simpler scene with less reflective surfaces. I want colour and I’ve kept the “sleeping beauty” from the previous image because the pose took a lot of fiddling to get just so and I don’t want to spend more hours on it. I love the effect of the dynamic sheet so I’m keeping that too. In all, this month has become an exercise in seeing what things do in DAZ rather than an example of an image I want to convey an idea with.

I’m starting out with one light and getting that right first, trying colour tints and intensities etc to see their effect and practice using the settings in the surfaces tab. I got to play around with some shaders too, which was very interesting.

Aaaaaand ..... It turns out the lighting setup won’t be as simple as I planned :p  On account of the sheet, there are a few shadows and unlit areas which need some attention. Work in progress … :-)

You are not the only one who is fighting with the lights and how the picture should look. This time nothing seems to work as i wish. I spended the last days, to search at proper enviroments and stuff for the scene. ( background, clothes, props...etc. ) then I has a fight, to fit it to the persons and balance the scene. After that I fighted until now with the light. It never want to light out the whole scene like it should. Indoor spotlights seem not to work proper when I start to render with Scene&Dom. 

So I have stopped working on this scene and was go back to simpler settings. :/

Not sure if I break a mature rule with this entry, but I tried to avoid to show any genital parts.

Image Removed - Please see: Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited February 2017

Well, I was able to add the smoke environement and get some of the rays/shadows but not nearly as dramatic as in the stand alone window scene.  I also had to change a bunch of lights, as the SSS cube introduced some "interesting" effects (as in horrible and image-ruining).  It also took about two years to render (or so it seemed).  After all that - does it add to the image?  Is the previous version that's clearer better?  What else should I do/add/change?  I may have to model a gun, both because the one on the shelf is the only thing there that I didn't model, and also I suspect our Femme Fatale would have something sleaker - maybe a Walther PPK...

ShelfNoirMashup7.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 917K
  •  

daybird said:

You are not the only one who is fighting with the lights and how the picture should look. This time nothing seems to work as i wish. I spended the last days, to search at proper enviroments and stuff for the scene. ( background, clothes, props...etc. ) then I has a fight, to fit it to the persons and balance the scene. After that I fighted until now with the light. It never want to light out the whole scene like it should. Indoor spotlights seem not to work proper when I start to render with Scene&Dom. 

Not sure if I break a mature rule with this entry, but I tried to avoid to show any genital parts.

Well, that's one way to deal with clothes not fitting :-P

I started simple on this one, and with comments, suggestions, and inspiration, ended up somewhere I never would have gone, and trying things I never would have tried.  You've started out au naturel, so I'm interested where you take this one next.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    yhzmurphy said:

Well, I was able to add the smoke environement and get some of the rays/shadows but not nearly as dramatic as in the stand alone window scene.  I also had to change a bunch of lights, as the SSS cube introduced some "interesting" effects (as in horrible and image-ruining).  It also took about two years to render (or so it seemed).  After all that - does it add to the image?  Is the previous version that's clearer better?  What else should I do/add/change?  I may have to model a gun, both because the one on the shelf is the only thing there that I didn't model, and also I suspect our Femme Fatale would have something sleaker - maybe a Walther PPK...

The smoke/fog may not be as dramatic as the other version but it does add to the feel of the story being told. 

Not being a gun person I have no idea if that gun is too big for her...it is your decision to change it but who says it belongs to her?  She may have taken it from someone or it could belong to someone in the room with her who is off camera and hasn't been seen. 

daybird said:
    Shortcut said:

Image Removed - Please see: Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity

I fight with lighting 90% of the time. 

yhzmurphy said:

I found a tutorial on iray dust/smoke/godrays online and gave it a try.  Not the fastest render ever - but interesting addition.  Not sure if I can get this to work with the combined render - certainly going to be a case of "save under a new name" before setting it up and borking everything ;-)

This has turned into quite a compelling image.  Nice job figuring out how to bend the blinds.

There seems to be a lot of smoke coming off that cigarette.  I'm not sure there would be quite that much.  The only thing I could find to nitpick.

edited February 2017
    Shortcut said:

Sleeping female figure floating in air and wrapped in red silk cloth

When testing settings to figure out what they do I suggest changing 1 at a time then render.  It is tedious and time consuming but it is the best way to figure out what everything does.  If you change 2 settings you will not know for sure which did what.

I get lost all the time.  You start off wanting to accomplish 1 thing then get bogged down with something else and lose sight of the original goal but when in doubt, simplfiying things often does help.

She looks very comfy in that sheet.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    yhzmurphy said:
    Delirious said:
    cismic said:

yhzmurphy said:
    Here's version c of this, I would have had it posted 3 days ago but at the time my grandmother whom I've been living with since my father pasted away about 13 years ago was admited with a uti into the hospital. Sounds like she's doing better, if it weren't for some tests that they were waiting on the results from she might have come home yesterday. But it wasn't to be so maybe this afternoon.

@Shinji Ikari 9th - Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  Hope she recovers and is home soon.

@yhzmurphy - Thanks for your kind words. The latest I've heard is that they are going to transfer her to rehab in the next few days.

@Shinji....I hope your Grandmother is home soon.

Delirious said:

I post this one to show that the idea Kismet2012 gave for making the fire "flicker" worked. Thanks again for the tip! It took some fiddling though. Unfortunately I also missed with some other things, ended up making this one overall too bright, and when I toned that down I messed up the flicker effect in the fireplace. Doh!

But here's the other problem--the branches showing through the window. In Daz they look fine, dark like the light is shining on them. But in the jpg format they look like an xray. I haven't tried to figure it out yet but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Are the branches supposed to be covered in snow?  That is the impression I have been getting.

Shortcut said:

Here's what I have to start with. Still needs some texture work on most of the enviroment and what not. Lighting is Iray emissives.

Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

I  like the way you have used complementary colours (blue and green contrasting with red/orange tones) to set up interest in your scene. The lighting is very even though and lacks contrast. There are virtually no highlights or deep shadows, which makes the whole scene look flat even though you have a very nice line of perspective running through the scene.

The addition of another coloured light really adds some depth. 

Hello, new to 3d and saw a link to this in another section last night so thought I would play along. I had already given myself a challenge to learn about shaders today, so I combined it with this one and did a light technique I had been wanting to try out. Sort of a person in a lit room behind opaque glass. Where they touch the glass it's darker and they sort of fade back into the white.where they are farther away. I used the create primitive technique. There's a large lit primitive behind the subject, one to the left of the subject and one above and to the right. Another primitive in the front to make up the "glass". I pushed a bunch of buttons on a shader until I got it to look like opaque. The one listed as opaque wasn't opaque enough but I think by playing I know now I could have changed the presets.  As it was rendering I watched a video on shaders, wish I would have watched it before I made this! lol 

An interesting suspenseful scene.  It makes me wonder what he is trying to get away from.  This isn't a technique I am familar with and haven't attempted myself so I am not sure what to suggest to try and improve your image.

edited February 2017

first @soc_stig then @daybird's [deleted] post...there seems to be a shortage of calories for some of these Daz models, so I figured I'd whip up a decent meal for them :-)

banquet.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 514K
    nekyo said:

I've been a Daz member for almost two years now - decided to finally actually try rendering something for the first time :P (so far I only use the products I've purchased for game development...)

Title - "Quiet Night"
    Software - Daz

Quiet Night

Lighting setup is simple - was just playing around with emissive planes. One is behind her in the building doorway. Weaker light off the left, angled down towards her. A third light is illuminating the balcony in the background.

Enjoyed all the other entries so far!

Nicely done.  Finding a good balance to light a night scene can be tricky.  You have done a nice job.

kanegs said:

Here's my "entry" to this discussion:

The "main" lighting is the from the emissive surfaces built into the set. I added a mesh light behind the door. There is also a bluish distant light.

If anyone has any questions about the setup, feel free to ask.

I'm open to any suggestions as well.

Having some light coming through the open door is a nice touch.  I like all the interesting shadows going on in this image.

•  

This has turned into quite a compelling image.  Nice job figuring out how to bend the blinds.

There seems to be a lot of smoke coming off that cigarette.  I'm not sure there would be quite that much.  The only thing I could find to nitpick.

Thank-you Kismet.  "Add a mirror" you said...and it all snowballed to this :-)

You're not a gun person; I'm not a smoker...so I'll take your word on the amount of smoke from her cigarette and make some adjustments...if I can find another two years to render it...

cismic said:

I'm very new at 3d work and to Daz3d.  But, I have jumped in and have been learning and having fun. I've been using daz since the end of December.

The attached image is an experiment in lighting, mirroring. and getting creative with props. After all it is a pretend world at least for me that I can get creative in.

Joseph

Surreal and/or abstract images can be fun. 

yhzmurphy said:

You're not a gun person; I'm not a smoker...so I'll take your word on the amount of smoke from her cigarette and make some adjustments...if I can find another two years to render it...

I am not a smoker either and as I said...it was the only thing I could find to nitpick...please do not change it for me. 

• yhzmurphy said:

I am not a smoker either and as I said...it was the only thing I could find to nitpick...please do not change it for me. 

I'm glad for your lung health ;-)

I'll render one with the smoke from the cigarette reduced and we can see if it works better or not. That's the point of these challenges for me.  Try stuff and learn and get input and try more stuff.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152
    soc_stig said:

I love playing with lighting - it can really bring an image to life. Here I've tried 2 variations on the same model. One is a single-source setup, the other using just emissives.

I really like both of these.  But the emissive one is very striking.  Can I ask how long you let this one render?  I'm wondering if you let it render longer, a bit of the grainyness(sp?) may disappear. My only other suggestions would be to maybe try  bit of a rim light to help separate her from the background.  Very subtle though because the lighing is very cool the way it is. 

Sorry, I'm late to the party here, but I really like the bright look of the first one. I'd like to see that one pushed even more toward high-key.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152

Hello, new to 3d and saw a link to this in another section last night so thought I would play along. I had already given myself a challenge to learn about shaders today, so I combined it with this one and did a light technique I had been wanting to try out. Sort of a person in a lit room behind opaque glass. Where they touch the glass it's darker and they sort of fade back into the white.where they are farther away. I used the create primitive technique. There's a large lit primitive behind the subject, one to the left of the subject and one above and to the right. Another primitive in the front to make up the "glass". I pushed a bunch of buttons on a shader until I got it to look like opaque. The one listed as opaque wasn't opaque enough but I think by playing I know now I could have changed the presets.  As it was rendering I watched a video on shaders, wish I would have watched it before I made this! lol 

I find this fascinating! I like the way I can almost see his eye and his legs fade into the blur.