February 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited February 2017
    daybird said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

I downloaded that set and tried as well, and it seems the thing is not able to take a tiling, I tried aound for a bit but the only solution I could come up is to create a plane ( about 4m square with maybe 50 dicisions, probably less could work as well) and place it right in front onf the window so that the frame becomes visible and then use the geometry editor to assign a new surface to all the polys inside the frame. Make that part invisibe ( opacity to zero in the surfaces tab) and apply the texture you want to rest  , new wall there.

I know you answered Daybird, but this actually makes some of my wall-building easier as well - much easier for my efforts to box-in rooms than having to create walls with defined size holes in Carrara (or other).  Thank-you.

Mhh I have problem to follow your advices Linwelly. Can you please post a screenshot and show me, how I could select single polys inside the plane? Or do I understand something wrong?

daybird, I downloaded Daz to my work laptop last night (on slow hotel wifi) and tried it and took some screen shots.

I started with a blank scene

then I added a plane from the top menu Create->New Primitive and set the dimensions (Size and Divisions) that Linwelly suggested. 

I rotated the plane to upright, to make it look like a wall (and not a floor - so nobody would fall through the hole).  Then, again from the top menu, I selected the Geometry Editory from Tools->Geometry Editor, and used the little red circle to paint some of the squares inside the big plane to represent an opening.

Then I right clicked on the selected bit and created a subsurface for that, and named it "hole"

Then I went to the surfaces tab, and selected the 'hole'

and set the opacity to zero - voila - hole in the wall.  

Then you can surface the rest of the wall however you want, and in your case, have the window poke through the hole (which you'd make to fit the window).  Here's a quick test render to show it works (I just surfaced it with a default wood surface and stuck a figure behind looking through).

holeStepOne.jpg
    1200 x 642 - 102K
    holeStep2.jpg
    1200 x 642 - 109K
    holeStep3.jpg
    1200 x 642 - 118K
    holeStep5.jpg
    1200 x 642 - 151K
    holeStep6.jpg
    1200 x 642 - 169K
    anotherHoleInTheWall.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 899K
    holeStep4.jpg
    1188 x 652 - 161K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
  • Delirious said:

Another revision playing around with things. I got more light on the tablecloth to make it look whiter, got the front of the character's shirt to have white highlights, and I lowered the temperature of the light from the fire--which had the effect of making the foreground less orange and more red. I am thinking of experimenting with putting multiple emissives in the fireplace and setting them at different temperatures to see if I can produce a kind of "flickering" effect in the light from the fireplace. As it is now I don't think it looks like light from a fire. Any ideas or suggestions?

You might try emulating a gobo, which is a physical pattern used by photographers and in theatre to control how light is shaped. It’s placed in front of a light source to create different shapes in the light which are then cast onto the scene.

You might be able to use the primitives in the software to make a gobo with a pattern that simulates ‘flickering’ or a dappled light effect. Not sure how that would be done though to make a complex pattern such as that, but it must be possible. Anyone?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    yhzmurphy said:
    daybird said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

I downloaded that set and tried as well, and it seems the thing is not able to take a tiling, I tried aound for a bit but the only solution I could come up is to create a plane ( about 4m square with maybe 50 dicisions, probably less could work as well) and place it right in front onf the window so that the frame becomes visible and then use the geometry editor to assign a new surface to all the polys inside the frame. Make that part invisibe ( opacity to zero in the surfaces tab) and apply the texture you want to rest  , new wall there.

I know you answered Daybird, but this actually makes some of my wall-building easier as well - much easier for my efforts to box-in rooms than having to create walls with defined size holes in Carrara (or other).  Thank-you.

Mhh I have problem to follow your advices Linwelly. Can you please post a screenshot and show me, how I could select single polys inside the plane? Or do I understand something wrong?

daybird, I downloaded Daz to my work laptop last night (on slow hotel wifi) and tried it and took some screen shots.

then I added a plane from the top menu Create->New Primitive and set the dimensions (Size and Divisions) that Linwelly suggested. 

I rotated the plane to upright, to make it look like a wall (and not a floor - so nobody would fall through the hole).  Then, again from the top menu, I selected the Geometry Editory from Tools->Geometry Editor, and used the little red circle to paint some of the squares inside the big plane to represent an opening.

Then I right clicked on the selected bit and created a subsurface for that, and named it "hole"

Then you can surface the rest of the wall however you want, and in your case, have the window poke through the hole (which you'd make to fit the window).  Here's a quick test render to show it works (I just surfaced it with a default wood surface and stuck a figure behind looking through).

Sorry Daybird, I had missed your question there but yhzmurphy has shown the steps exactly the way I meant it ( thanks for that!). I only added the window from your scene earlier so I could select the polys inside the frame because I could see where the frame is.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    yhzmurphy said:
    daybird said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

Thats SOOOOO COOOOL ...THX a lot murphy for this little tutorial. yes

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited February 2017
    Shortcut said:
    Delirious said:

Another revision playing around with things. I got more light on the tablecloth to make it look whiter, got the front of the character's shirt to have white highlights, and I lowered the temperature of the light from the fire--which had the effect of making the foreground less orange and more red. I am thinking of experimenting with putting multiple emissives in the fireplace and setting them at different temperatures to see if I can produce a kind of "flickering" effect in the light from the fireplace. As it is now I don't think it looks like light from a fire. Any ideas or suggestions?

You might try emulating a gobo, which is a physical pattern used by photographers and in theatre to control how light is shaped. It’s placed in front of a light source to create different shapes in the light which are then cast onto the scene.

You might be able to use the primitives in the software to make a gobo with a pattern that simulates ‘flickering’ or a dappled light effect. Not sure how that would be done though to make a complex pattern such as that, but it must be possible. Anyone?

You need to create an opacity map, a black and white image, in a 2D program like PhotoShop or GIMP.  You can either create your own flame shapes or do a search for a free image.  You want the flames to be white and the background to be black.

Then in DS load a plane, rotate it so it stands upright or at whatever angle you need, usually along the x axis, then load your black & white image in the opacity channel.

Hopefully this will give you the desired results.

Flame Gobo Screenshot.png
    1374 x 741 - 126K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

I'm very new at 3d work and to Daz3d.  But, I have jumped in and have been learning and having fun. I've been using daz since the end of December.

The attached image is an experiment in lighting, mirroring. and getting creative with props. After all it is a pretend world at least for me that I can get creative in.

Joseph

Keira In Control.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Shortcut said:
    Delirious said:

You need to create an opacity map, a black and white image, in a 2D program like PhotoShop or GIMP.  You can either create your own flame shapes or do a search for a free image.  You want the flames to be white and the background to be black.

Then in DS load a plane, rotate it so it stands upright or at whatever angle you need, usually along the x axis, then load your black & white image in the opacity channel.

Thanks Kisment, and Shortcut! This is a great idea, I look forward to giving it a go.

• cismic said:

I'm very new at 3d work and to Daz3d.  But, I have jumped in and have been learning and having fun. I've been using daz since the end of December.

The attached image is an experiment in lighting, mirroring. and getting creative with props. After all it is a pretend world at least for me that I can get creative in.

Joseph

Oh that's fun. A lot of neat light effects.

• kanegskanegs Posts: 80

Here's my "entry" to this discussion:

The "main" lighting is the from the emissive surfaces built into the set. I added a mesh light behind the door. There is also a bluish distant light.

If anyone has any questions about the setup, feel free to ask.

I'm open to any suggestions as well.

dragelle.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 620K
  • Ill throw my entry in as well. 

MiddayGarden6.png
    560 x 862 - 851K
  • Shortcut said:
    Delirious said:

@kismet2012 Thank you for showing us how this can be done, I'm curious whether Delerious will try/apply this to their render and the effect it will have.

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017

Seated figure asleep in a surreal scene

Some progress, at least with the conceptual part.

Now I'm experimenting with the dome and scene settings (see attached) to get different environment lighting effects. The environment map is the standard one available in DAZ. I'm layering several renders in PS to get light combining from different directions, which is useful for bringing out highlights in some objects, like the sheet, to give it some texture, or even small details such as highlights in the shoes, while also providing some modelling light to the figure. I only have to use one light, which cuts down on render times. I'm hoping at some stage to somehow bring out the richness of that red silk. Still playing with the settings to see what can be done ...

I figured out how to lock a dynamic sheet after it is draped, which was a question I posted previously - the little display options menu in the corner of the dynamic clothing tab has a "freeze simulation" option which sets the object so it doesn't reset to a flat sheet and it can then be moved about. :-)

One thing I have noticed is a strange line running through the middle of the reflective floor (see other attached). I thought it might have been a reflection of an object in the scene or something casting a shadow, but there is nothing of the sort that would create this kind of long, hard edge in that location. Does anyone have any insight what could be causing that?

Dome and scene variations_01.jpg
    4096 x 2048 - 5M
    Dreams_02_Layered.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 834K
    Strange Line.jpg
    513 x 269 - 130K
    Post edited by Shortcut on
  • cismic said:

Joseph

I like what you have here Joseph. Almost scycadelic(sp?) like to me.

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017

Here's what I have to start with. Still needs some texture work on most of the enviroment and what not. Lighting is Iray emissives.

Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

I  like the way you have used complementary colours (blue and green contrasting with red/orange tones) to set up interest in your scene. The lighting is very even though and lacks contrast. There are virtually no highlights or deep shadows, which makes the whole scene look flat even though you have a very nice line of perspective running through the scene.

Post edited by Shortcut on
  • dstuffle said:

Here's the scene with (I hope) the improvements suggested.

I like the adjustment to her pose and the slightly darker lighting.  It really gives the feel that she is trapped and knows it.  And your antagonist is getting a little overconfident giving up his gun like that.

You've improved the image in several ways, which is great! Both figures' poses now add something to the scene, even a hint of cheekiness, and the change in lighting has changed the mood completely - it looks a lot more claustraphobic.

Are you going to play around with it more?

• Shortcut said:

One thing I have noticed is a strange line running through the middle of the reflective floor (see other attached). I thought it might have been a reflection of an object in the scene or something casting a shadow, but there is nothing of the sort that would create this kind of long, hard edge in that location. Does anyone have any insight what could be causing that?if you rotate the floor, does the line rotate with it?  That would narrow down if it's the floor's surface or something else in the scene.

If you rotate the floor (object/plane/whatever it is) does the seam move with it?  That could narrow down if it's the floor or something else in the scene.

• daybird said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    daybird said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

Thats SOOOOO COOOOL ...THX a lot murphy for this little tutorial. yes

You are very welcome.  It was the least I could do...actually, it was the most I could do - I didn't have access to my home system or my own WIP :-)

edited February 2017

Back home and was able to tidy up and render my WIP on the femme fatale with blinds...She figured out how to bend the blinds to take a look outside, and it's not looking good.

This is a fun challenge trying to see what can be done just with lighting.  I'm trying to keep it simple with this one too - here's the entirety of the scene so far.  As always, comments and suggestions most welcome.

Noir2.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 806K
    noirScene.JPG
    2464 x 1982 - 209K
    edited February 2017

And still working on the original - thanks to Kismet I've been googling pictures taken in mirrors, and finding I have to replciate the bad flash-in-the-mirror that ruined so many snapshots.  I'm still working to get the flash to look right, but finding I don't want it to.  I'll pursue it a bit more for the learnings, but also need to think of a different direction for this.

candleShelf6.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
  • nekyonekyo Posts: 54
    edited February 2017

I've been a Daz member for almost two years now - decided to finally actually try rendering something for the first time :P (so far I only use the products I've purchased for game development...)

Title - "Quiet Night"
    Software - Daz

Quiet Night

Lighting setup is simple - was just playing around with emissive planes. One is behind her in the building doorway. Weaker light off the left, angled down towards her. A third light is illuminating the balcony in the background.

Enjoyed all the other entries so far!

nekyo_submission_01.jpg
    701 x 851 - 103K
    Post edited by nekyo on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited February 2017

Hello, new to 3d and saw a link to this in another section last night so thought I would play along. I had already given myself a challenge to learn about shaders today, so I combined it with this one and did a light technique I had been wanting to try out. Sort of a person in a lit room behind opaque glass. Where they touch the glass it's darker and they sort of fade back into the white.where they are farther away. I used the create primitive technique. There's a large lit primitive behind the subject, one to the left of the subject and one above and to the right. Another primitive in the front to make up the "glass". I pushed a bunch of buttons on a shader until I got it to look like opaque. The one listed as opaque wasn't opaque enough but I think by playing I know now I could have changed the presets.  As it was rendering I watched a video on shaders, wish I would have watched it before I made this! lol 

NoLogoLightTEst.jpg
    900 x 900 - 140K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629
    yhzmurphy said:

Back home and was able to tidy up and render my WIP on the femme fatale with blinds...She figured out how to bend the blinds to take a look outside, and it's not looking good.

This is a fun challenge trying to see what can be done just with lighting.  I'm trying to keep it simple with this one too - here's the entirety of the scene so far.  As always, comments and suggestions most welcome.

Very nice. I like the setup. I think a little smoke floating up would be awesome. 

• cismic said:
    yhzmurphy said:

Very nice. I like the setup. I think a little smoke floating up would be awesome. 

Simple, but very effective! I like the idea of--what look to me like--the lights from a police car. But then I wonder what she is looking at? Is she on the look outfor the police? If so, I feel like she would be looking down. Maybe not. Maybe she is even unaware of them. But then, what is she looking at? It seems right now like she is looking at the light source. Maybe its the moon. But then it seems to be too bright to be the moon.

From my comments you can see how I get all tangled up when I start looking at my own work!

edited February 2017
    Delirious said:
    cismic said:
    yhzmurphy said:

Simple, but very effective! I like the idea of--what look to me like--the lights from a police car. But then I wonder what she is looking at? Is she on the look outfor the police? If so, I feel like she would be looking down. Maybe not. Maybe she is even unaware of them. But then, what is she looking at? It seems right now like she is looking at the light source. Maybe its the moon. But then it seems to be too bright to be the moon.

From my comments you can see how I get all tangled up when I start looking at my own work!

very good comments Cismic and Delirious!  I've tried to address both of them - adding some smoke and also adding more outside lights.  Things appear to be getting worse out there, another police car and a helicopter have shown up.

Noir7.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 847K
  • Shortcut said:

Here's what I have to start with. Still needs some texture work on most of the enviroment and what not. Lighting is Iray emissives.

Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

I  like the way you have used complementary colours (blue and green contrasting with red/orange tones) to set up interest in your scene. The lighting is very even though and lacks contrast. There are virtually no highlights or deep shadows, which makes the whole scene look flat even though you have a very nice line of perspective running through the scene.

Here's version c of this, I would have had it posted 3 days ago but at the time my grandmother whom I've been living with since my father pasted away about 13 years ago was admited with a uti into the hospital. Sounds like she's doing better, if it weren't for some tests that they were waiting on the results from she might have come home yesterday. But it wasn't to be so maybe this afternoon.

feb2017c.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
    edited February 2017
    Delirious said:
    cismic said:

yhzmurphy said:
    Here's version c of this, I would have had it posted 3 days ago but at the time my grandmother whom I've been living with since my father pasted away about 13 years ago was admited with a uti into the hospital. Sounds like she's doing better, if it weren't for some tests that they were waiting on the results from she might have come home yesterday. But it wasn't to be so maybe this afternoon.

@Shinji Ikari 9th - Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  Hope she recovers and is home soon.

edited February 2017

Hair brained scheme - I didn't like where the photographer in the shelf/mirror image was headed, so I combined the two...it's a little dark, but I suppose it's supposed to be (she even snuffed the candle out)...

ShelfNoirMashup.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 808K
  • DeliriousDelirious Posts: 34
    edited February 2017

I post this one to show that the idea Kismet2012 gave for making the fire "flicker" worked. Thanks again for the tip! It took some fiddling though. Unfortunately I also missed with some other things, ended up making this one overall too bright, and when I toned that down I messed up the flicker effect in the fireplace. Doh!

But here's the other problem--the branches showing through the window. In Daz they look fine, dark like the light is shining on them. But in the jpg format they look like an xray. I haven't tried to figure it out yet but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Feb10.jpg
    859 x 856 - 418K
    Post edited by Delirious on
  • Delirious said:

I post this one to show that the idea Kismet2012 gave for making the fire "flicker" worked. Thanks again for the tip! It took some fiddling though. Unfortunately I also missed with some other things, ended up making this one overall too bright, and when I toned that down I messed up the flicker effect in the fireplace. Doh!

But here's the other problem--the branches showing through the window. In Daz they look fine, dark like the light is shining on them. But in the jpg format they look like an xray. I haven't tried to figure it out yet but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Nice work pushing your comfort level with lighting. Also, I really liked the first couple of renders you did. Sometimes the unselfconscious confidence in an initial image that you feel is good enough to show, can get overshadowed by other things after a couple more iterations. 

That being said, maybe dealing with the 2 seperate lighting issues in one take might be counter-productive. Maybe rendering the scene outside the window, and the scene inside the room seperately, and then compositing them would give a better result for the time being. 

Sometimes when I'm rendering a scene, particular details that are apparent pre-and-post render, get screwed up after I change or add something to the scene. I'm guessing that I'm probably mixing different light sets, or using shaders that are incompatible with a particular light set. The reason I suggested compositing two seperate scenes instead of doing it all in one take is because I've lost countless hours 'down the rabbit hole' performing fruitless 'post-render-forensics' work attempting to find a culprit. Meh.

• yhzmurphy said:
    Delirious said:
    cismic said:
    yhzmurphy said:

very good comments Cismic and Delirious!  I've tried to address both of them - adding some smoke and also adding more outside lights.  Things appear to be getting worse out there, another police car and a helicopter have shown up.

It looks like she has 2 options - 1)Don't go down without a fight, come out with guns blazing, going down in a blaze of glory - or 2) just giving it up and surrendering peacfully.

Truthfully, I don't know how many times I've tried to recreate this scene. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you had been listening in on my conversations for years! 

I suppose there is a third option, maybe she's just super paranoid because of whatever it is she's smoking.