Glass Adjustments

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm making a helmet with goggles and I seem to be having some problems with the glass.

I'm using the default Daz glass shader and while the lenses look fine with an Open GL render the glass is too distorted. What settings should I be looking at adjusting to get something a little more normal looking?

helmet_glass1.jpg
1280 x 1024 - 382K
helmet_glass2.jpg
1280 x 1024 - 346K

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rendering glass in 3Delight can be a real pain in the backside...

That said, do you have a 'complete' environment?

A sphere or cube, large enough to enclose the scene will be enough.

Next, what is the IOR on the lenses?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

That glass shader included in Daz Stuio has a refraction of 2.50 which is really for think heavy glasss. Try knocking it down to 1.52

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,765
    edited December 1969

I can't answer the glass question, but I sure want this when it's finished :D

edited December 1969

If these are flat lenses, then you may not even need to use refraction...or you could also turn down the strength to 10% or less.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited January 2013

I can't answer the glass question, but I sure want this when it's finished :D

As soon as I get the glass problems fixed I'll be giving this helmet away on ShareCG.

If these are flat lenses, then you may not even need to use refraction...or you could also turn down the strength to 10% or less.

Ever so slight curvature on the lenses.

I've turned the reflection down to .25 same for the IOR and that seems to help a bit.

Opacity strength down to 30% seems to help a lot too.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited December 1969

It may interest you that the IOR for air is 1.00 so lowering the glass IOR may not have an effect. Also I would be using an Opacity setting of 5 - 10%, reflection about 26% or even higher giving it is glass. What will also have an effect is the specualr strength....anyhoo it is a cracking model I look forward to playing with it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Szark said:
    It may interest you that the IOR for air is 1.00 so lowering the glass IOR may not have an effect. Also I would be using an Opacity setting of 5 - 10%, reflection about 26% or even higher giving it is glass. What will also have an effect is the specualr strength....anyhoo it is a cracking model I look forward to playing with it.
    Szark my friend this item has been released for Genesis, and is Awesome I might add. Thanks GC.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    Szark my friend this item has been released for Genesis, and is Awesome I might add. Thanks GC.

Here's the release thread...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14499/

edited January 2013

thx mjc and jaderial and ghastlycomic

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! It was my first experiment with a medium resolution clothing item.

edited December 1969

Becasie I can't use Daz Studio at the moment I can't check for myself but does it Sub-D well in Daz Studio?

edited December 1969

The photos I've posted of it are all sub-D. I kept that in mind when I designed it.

edited December 1969

Sweet thank you