From Daz to Blender to UDK

Jovianthe4thJovianthe4th Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey all,

I decimated a Genesis figure all the way down to 2,500 triangles. I found a tip that if you decimate in increments of 10 percent and save the LOD every time, it makes a big difference (and it works). The figure also still animates perfectly fine. However the face is asymmetrical. I exported then imported the model to Daz in FBX format and it somewhat fixed the problem, but it is still slightly asymmetrical. Does anybody know how to can make the mesh itself symmetrical after decimation? It would make all the difference in the world!

For anybody that is curious, I have a Game Developer License and planning to import the mesh into the UDK and to create Normal Maps for the meshes.

Comments

• Jovianthe4thJovianthe4th Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

I made another thread not long ago about preserving the symmetry of the Genesis figure after decimation. Well, I found that Blender's decimate modifier does a MUCH better job of preserving the symmetry and shape of the mesh. I went all the way down to 2.5K triangles and the basic shape of the figure was still intact, albeit a bit blocky, but hopefully Normal maps can fix that. I also plan to use Blender to retopo the Daz figures, but I might be able to get away with not having to.

However importing into Blender causes the animation and some other information to be lost. I tried importing the figure back into Daz Studio as .dae or .fbx, but that just creates an incoherent mess of a mesh. I tried importing the file as an .obj and I used the Transfer Utility to re-rig the figure, but that causes Daz Studio to crash, causing an "access violation" error.

So I've been running into one problem after another. Is there any way to fix the "access violation" error? Or are there any alternatives to getting your animation and skeleton from Daz into Blender and then the UDK?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Duplicate threads merged..

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Since you're in Blender you could shrink wrap the decimated Genesis on the default Genesis then import that as a morph in DS using Morph Loader Pro.