Nothing will render

I accidentally chaged a setting and now nothing will render for me. It starts to render but the render image is a blank screen. It is as it it is rendering a blank portion of the scene and not what is in the edit screen. Anyone know what I might have changed and what I need to do to correct it?

Comments

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited January 2017

I can't remember ever having this problem so perhaps check your log to see if there is any obvious error listed  (help - troubleshooting - view log file)

You could also try resetting your render settings to default as that should make things work

Post your log here if you are not sure what to do next & I am sure someone will be able to help you

Post edited by Tottallou on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,025

I tried resetting it but that didn't seem to do anything. Attached is the log but I can't seem to make heads pr tails out of it.

Thanks in advance.

txt
    txt
    log.txt

Even though I have the rendering area set to current viewport, it renders a blank image and the rendering is done in less than 5 minutes when norally that scene would run for over an hour. I'm certain that I accidently clicked something but I don't know what or how to change ot back.

edited January 2017

I also hit the default button in the render editor but that didn't help either. It just seems to be rendering an entirely blank image.

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

When troubleshooting go back to knowns:

1. Restart D|S.

2. Restart your PC if you need to.

3. Create a new scene with a single object and default camera and environment.

If the problem persists, then it's more likely a system issue that will require more effort to resolve.

If the problem goes away with #1 or #2, then chalk it up to gremlins. If in #3, look at your scene to determine possible issues. One potential culprit: you're rendering inside a set and have the camera in a wall. In preview mode you might be able to view the scene, but it won't render.

Did 1, 2, & 3 before I even posted this question. As for a camera in a wall, I tried rendering just one character with nothing else in the editor ad that didn't work either.

Should you be using your Nvidia card to render as I notice your log shows CPU only rendering?

If you do have an Nvidia card it may need the drivers updating (I am using 376.33)

Failing that if you want to post one of your scene file (.duf) that fail then I will try to load it & render it here

Tottallou said:

Should you be using your Nvidia card to render as I notice your log shows CPU only rendering?

If you do have an Nvidia card it may need the drivers updating (I am using 376.33)

Failing that if you want to post one of your scene file (.duf) that fail then I will try to load it & render it here

I don't have a Nvidia Card but I've been rendering fine with it for over a year ... AND ... scenes which previous rendered for me, don't now. So I don't think that it is an issue with the scene or the *.duf file. I think it is one of my settings -- but I don't know which one.

Also, it is only IRAY renderings that are giving me a problem. If I render with anything else other than IRAY, it works normally. See attachments. I just got use to the IRAY "look" and want to get this problem fixed.

norendering3.png
    625 x 899 - 77K
    norendering4.png
    619 x 897 - 337K
  • Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited January 2017

Re I don't have a Nvidia Card

What you are describing is typical also for people who use a nvidia card for Iray but have not updated their drivers.

In your case its because you are trying to use a non nvidia card for Iray when you must use cpu only.

Go to Render - Render Settings - Advanced

Tick cpu dont click on you video card

Post edited by Roboman28 on

I rendered this scene ==> http://orig15.deviantart.net/3f52/f/2016/141/f/e/day_at_office___page_4_by_dim357-da2ryr0.png ... in IRAY back in May 2016 and ir worked fine. Now, it will render in 3Delight but produces a blank image if I try to use IRAY. The file hasn't been touched in months. So I don't think it is the scenes that are the problem but some setting somewhere.

Roboman28 said:

What you are describing is typical also for people who use a nvidia card for Iray but have not updated their drivers.

His log shows the renders are already CPU-only. So it's not a card driver issue.

I recall seeing some steps for getting back the defaults, though for Iray, most of the render defaults may be returned by hitting the Defaults button on the main render panel. However, there may be others you could try. Do be aware that some of the default fallbacks could cause you to lose other customizations in the user interface.

Doing an uninstall and clean insteall of D|S should be a consideration if the problem persists.

It would be useful if you posted a troubleshooting log that you make by starting D|S fresh, adding a single cube or sphere primitive, and shading it with Iray Uber shader. Do exactly ONE render with the default settings only. Save the log and post it.

Tobor said:
    Roboman28 said:

His log shows the renders are already CPU-only. So it's not a card driver issue.

I recall seeing some steps for getting back the defaults, though for Iray, most of the render defaults may be returned by hitting the Defaults button on the main render panel. However, there may be others you could try. Do be aware that some of the default fallbacks could cause you to lose other customizations in the user interface.

Doing an uninstall and clean insteall of D|S should be a consideration if the problem persists.

It would be useful if you posted a troubleshooting log that you make by starting D|S fresh, adding a single cube or sphere primitive, and shading it with Iray Uber shader. Do exactly ONE render with the default settings only. Save the log and post it.

Uhh, that was way over my head. I start DAZ fresh and do what?

• Yike - I have the same issue but my attempt to renders only take a few seconds and it returns just a checkered image. I had a render running overnight that still wasn't done this morning but it appeared to be working - now nothing. i've tried restarting, a new scene, restoring default reneder preferences and different presets but I still get nothing.... is there a way to restore ALL defaults? Maybe i messed something up...  any help would be much much appreciated!!!!

You and I are having the same problem and it appears that it started at the same time.

It means start DS, create a new scene with a single primitive object such as a sphere (look in the Daz docs if you don't know how), and apply the base Iray Uber shader.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57365/where-to-find-iray-skin-shaders-solved

Do ONE render, then post the troubleshooting log. The log you previously posted had multiple renders and a bunch of extraneous stuff that makes it harder to read.

• i was having a similar problem but now I seem to be OK... 

Tobor said:

It means start DS, create a new scene with a single primitive object such as a sphere (look in the Daz docs if you don't know how), and apply the base Iray Uber shader.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57365/where-to-find-iray-skin-shaders-solved

Do ONE render, then post the troubleshooting log. The log you previously posted had multiple renders and a bunch of extraneous stuff that makes it harder to read.

I've got more clues but not sure what to do with them. I started fresh and rendered a simple object in IRAY and it worked fine! I inserted a G2M character and rendered that in IRAY and it also worked. I then inported a character that I had saved as a sub-scene and tried rendering that and it didn't work -- I got the blank image again. It seems that when ever I I try to IRAY render something that was already made (either a scene or a sub-scene), it won't render in IRAY but it does render in 3Delight.

Any ideas of what to look for?

More clues ...

1) I started with a G2M figure and IRAY rendered him and it worked perfectly.

2) I inserted an pre-made character that I made previously and saved as a sub-scene and put that character (also G2M) next to the first character and when I went to IRAY render then, neither character appeared but got a blank image.

3) I deleted the character that I imported and tried to IRAY render the G2M character that I originally did in #1 above and it worked.

It seems that IRAY doesn't like ANY of the scenes that I already have made but it will work with new stuff.

Have you tried opening the old scene subset then resaving it & reloading the new save before doing the render?

I can still open & render very old G2F subsets which still have 3DL shaders on the latest Daz, I don't have any G2M to try but I will happily try yours if you want to post the scene file

Thank you for the offer. Attached is a file that doesn't work. It USE TO work a few days ago but now none of my old files work. It sort of makes me think that that isn't the problem. But let me know what happens. Thanks in advance for trying to help.

duf
    duf
    masterdrogo03.duf
    Tottallou said:

Have you tried opening the old scene subset then resaving it & reloading the new save before doing the render?

Just tried that. It didn't work.

edited January 2017

I have been able to render the guy in GPU & CPU  - I don't have his clothes & am not sure what they are but I am going to guess its some shaders on the clothes that cause the problem

Try rendering just the clothes with no character as that will confirm its a problem - You could also try using iray shaders on the clothes & see if that makes them render

I removed the clothes which appear as blocks for me & resaved him as a scene subset in case you need this character - he looks like he would be good in his gear :)

Let us know how you get on

Looking at your picture he has body hair which if it was created for 3DL could be the problem - Something else to test

testrender.png
    800 x 1000 - 751K
    duf
    duf
    G2Male.duf
    Post edited by Tottallou on

Ok. Thank you. You've given me some clues to work with.

• Try going to Edit>Preferences>Scene and under Render Settings check Ignore when Opening a Scene File. Can you then render your old scenes again?

Thanks for the update. Your problem may not be rendering old scenes, per se, but what's in your scenes. Your first troubleshooting log multiple errors related to incorrect ICC color profiles. In other threads people have noted this can cause D|S and Iray to behave badly.

If the problem is related to the profile information stored in the graphics file, it means one or more of the texture files used with this G2M character were improperly made or edited. Keep your scenes simple, with just one character or prop at a time, and try to isolate which texture is at fault. 

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    Tobor said:

Thanks for the update. Your problem may not be rendering old scenes, per se, but what's in your scenes. Your first troubleshooting log multiple errors related to incorrect ICC color profiles. In other threads people have noted this can cause D|S and Iray to behave badly.

If the problem is related to the profile information stored in the graphics file, it means one or more of the texture files used with this G2M character were improperly made or edited. Keep your scenes simple, with just one character or prop at a time, and try to isolate which texture is at fault. 

I think the degenerate geometry warning is probably more of a concern.  Color Profiles shouldn't cause that kind of trouble.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 948

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but was a solution ever found? I am having the same problem.

• character choice.

down a "Render SubD Lebel".

• If you get a transparent render: For low angle shots below the ground plane remember to switch OFF the "Draw Ground" option in the Render/Environment panel. (Gets me every time)wink

• If you get a transparent render: For low angle shots below the ground plane remember to switch OFF the "Draw Ground" option in the Render/Environment panel. (Gets me every time)wink

Lifesaver man, I just had this same issue!!! and I was like surprise