Keep Calm : There's always another Sale (Daily Sale Talk)

178101213100

Comments

  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 10,587
    L'Adair said:

    So, here we go again... The banner ad states "For The Weekend Buy A New Release and Get 70% Off These Feature Items" (http://www.daz3d.com/featured-discount-selection)

    Banner Ad, 2017-01-27

    There's no fine print here stating any exclusions to what New Releases will trigger the discount, but at the moment, only new releases from the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" are triggering the discount. (And this promo is NOT listed on the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" sales page.)

    So if it's any new release, the discount's not working...

    Yep. I already started a thread about that: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144286/sale-problem-s#latest Hopefully somebody will see it and fix it or get it clarified.

  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,476
    L'Adair said:

    So, here we go again... The banner ad states "For The Weekend Buy A New Release and Get 70% Off These Feature Items" (http://www.daz3d.com/featured-discount-selection)

    Banner Ad, 2017-01-27

    There's no fine print here stating any exclusions to what New Releases will trigger the discount, but at the moment, only new releases from the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" are triggering the discount. (And this promo is NOT listed on the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" sales page.)

    So if it's any new release, the discount's not working...

    Yep. I already started a thread about that: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144286/sale-problem-s#latest Hopefully somebody will see it and fix it or get it clarified.

    Oh. I didn't see that conversation... blush

    I think it's very nice of DAZ to discount those products so deeply. (I just hope I don't have to buy one of today's new releases to trigger the discount. I didn't see anything I really needed...)

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,522
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

    So, here we go again... The banner ad states "For The Weekend Buy A New Release and Get 70% Off These Feature Items" (http://www.daz3d.com/featured-discount-selection)

    Banner Ad, 2017-01-27

    There's no fine print here stating any exclusions to what New Releases will trigger the discount, but at the moment, only new releases from the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" are triggering the discount. (And this promo is NOT listed on the "Bundle Bonanza Weekend" sales page.)

    So if it's any new release, the discount's not working...

    Yep. I already started a thread about that: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144286/sale-problem-s#latest Hopefully somebody will see it and fix it or get it clarified.

    Oh. I didn't see that conversation... blush

    I think it's very nice of DAZ to discount those products so deeply. (I just hope I don't have to buy one of today's new releases to trigger the discount. I didn't see anything I really needed...)

    Pfft, they don't do it to be nice; a business can't afford that.

    They should, however, be careful of how they treat customers; sometimes of late, I'm have concerns, and from what others post - I'm not the only one.

    But these things happen on occasions, and no doubt, if what I think I'm seeing is an issue - Daz (as a business) will fix it.

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,522

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

  • AtiAti Posts: 8,933

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,522
    Ati said:

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

    Keep telling yourself that /nod

  • NathNath Posts: 2,514
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

    Keep telling yourself that /nod

    I'm trying to convince myself that I probably won't need to eat in March

  • AtiAti Posts: 8,933
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

    Keep telling yourself that /nod

    Yeah, I'm trying to rationalize. laugh

  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

    Looks like those 75% off items are old DAZ encrypted content from last year that are now unencrypted. 

  • AtiAti Posts: 8,933
    Llynara said:

    Looks like those 75% off items are old DAZ encrypted content from last year that are now unencrypted. 

    Yeah, and they're pretty cheap this way...

  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 10,587
    edited January 2017
    Ati said:
    Llynara said:

    Looks like those 75% off items are old DAZ encrypted content from last year that are now unencrypted. 

    Yeah, and they're pretty cheap this way...

    Only if the sale worked with any new release as advertised. If I have to buy one of today's new releases then the price is too high.

    ETA: This has now been fixed and it works with any new release.

    Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    Ehhhh, I think you might be onto something. It does seem kind of surprising they've been offering even things like Pro Bundles at deep discounts recently, especially since in the past those sales would be few and far in between March Madness + Platinum Club (aka Horror-Themed Item Showcase). Part of me wants to say it's because we have Genesis 4/Daz Studio 5 coming out soon, but maybe not. 

    OTOH, maybe Daz is doing decently enough that they can afford to do these kinds of sales. 

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,522
    edited January 2017
    Finlaena said:
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    Ehhhh, I think you might be onto something. It does seem kind of surprising they've been offering even things like Pro Bundles at deep discounts recently, especially since in the past those sales would be few and far in between March Madness + Platinum Club (aka Horror-Themed Item Showcase). Part of me wants to say it's because we have Genesis 4/Daz Studio 5 coming out soon, but maybe not. 

    OTOH, maybe Daz is doing decently enough that they can afford to do these kinds of sales. 

    After 4.9 come 4.10 or 5.0; it would have to be a major change for 5.0 to be the next version, and require a new SDK; that would break plenty of scripts I expect so I wouldn't be surprised if Daz avoid it, unless of course - it is what is needed.

    It's common for folks to think of the dot as a decimal separator, it isn't. The best example is the current Studion release: 4.9.3.166 - no way is 166 within the decimal range. :)

    Post edited by nicstt on
  • lxlx Posts: 2,996
    edited January 2017
    nicstt said:
    Finlaena said:
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    Ehhhh, I think you might be onto something. It does seem kind of surprising they've been offering even things like Pro Bundles at deep discounts recently, especially since in the past those sales would be few and far in between March Madness + Platinum Club (aka Horror-Themed Item Showcase). Part of me wants to say it's because we have Genesis 4/Daz Studio 5 coming out soon, but maybe not. 

    OTOH, maybe Daz is doing decently enough that they can afford to do these kinds of sales. 

    After 4.9 come 4.10 or 5.0; it would have to be a major change for 5.0 to be the next version, and require a new SDK; that would break plenty of scripts I expect so I wouldn't be surprised if Daz avoid it, unless of course - it is what is needed.

    It's common for folks to think of the dot as a decimal separator, it isn't. The best example is the current Studion release: 4.9.3.166 - no way is 166 within the decimal range. :)

    0.166 is totally doable (wait no it probably has a smaller version; I was thinking of time.) As far as I know it's the multiple decimal points that you can't do for a number.

    The sales over the past couple of months have definitely been far better and more often than the year before that I remember.

    I do remember people hoping that the formerly encrypted items would be offered as a sale when the time came, and it looks like Daz has done just that (although quietly not mentioning that they were the encrypted items.) I wonder if the lack of new encrypted items was waiting on this to see if everyone bought the now unrestricted items. Personally there were a couple of encrypted items I would have bought on release had they not been (Kenji HD, some Aiko items) but while I appreciate the removal of encryption over time, it's not like I'm counting down the days for them to unlock. Those impulse buys have long since gone.

    Post edited by lx on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,522
    Nath said:
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

    Keep telling yourself that /nod

    I'm trying to convince myself that I probably won't need to eat in March

    I've tried that... Didn't go to well. Although I did loose a little weight.

    Ati said:
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:

    Wow, I love the current sales. I don't actually need any money for the Mard Madness sale, right? laugh

    Keep telling yourself that /nod

    Yeah, I'm trying to rationalize. laugh

    How's it workin' out? :)

  • AtiAti Posts: 8,933
    nicstt said:

    How's it workin' out? :)

    I normally aim for at least a 60% discount (if that price seems right for me). The stuff I have in my cart is at least 70% off. Will I ever get a better deal than this? I might. Will I get it frequently? No. Will I use these in the next year? Probably not. Will I use them in the next two years? Most likely yes. Will this blow my entire budget until the end of February? Yes. :D

    It says "weekend sale," so I hope I have a few more days to play around with it... :) 70% off seems tempting on stuff that I'm sure I will use at some point. I would go for it without hesitation if only one or two of these items appeared in fastgrab. But with so many of them in the sale, they add up quickly... :D

  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,476
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    In the case of the sale on formerly Encrypted Daz Connect items, I think they are just responding to the comments in the "Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread". That's just good marketing, to show your customers you do listen. (Of course, they do pick and choose what they listen to, but that's another topic altogether.)

    Perhaps there is a little desperation in their motives. After buying RuntimeDNA last year, they might not be making as big a profit as they had been. They need to win back the Poser users that gave up on DAZ3D.com as a place to get Poser content. And people like me—who started with Daz Studio and never tried Poser—are reluctant to buy RDNA items originally created for Poser. (I recently picked up the OceanQueen (dragon) bundle and discovered there are no wing or tail membranes...!)

    OTOH, the BYOB PC+ bundles in October, and the daily giveaways in December didn't really cost them much, and it built a lot of good will. I know I grabbed a lot of stuff I would probably never have bought. I'm still not sure what I'll use a pig or a hippo for, but if the fancy strikes, I've got them!

    We've seen RDNA artists move some or all of their catalog to Rendo. I'm guessing that has to do with the predominance of DS users here and Poser users there. Based on comments here in the forums, I think M4/V4 products do better overall at Rendo then here.

    And now that Rendo PAs are doing a lot more stuff for DS, Rendo is becoming a bigger competitor. I've read comments that Rendo doesn't have the deep discounts that DAZ has, but in many cases their prices aren't as high to begin with. If Daz can build/maintain customer loyalty by practically giving away stuff from the back catalogs, products whose sales have dropped off to almost nothing anyway, why wouldn't they? I'm not sure that's desperation, but I am sure it's good business... sort of a "loss leader" for digital products.

  • nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    LOL, it was just yesterday that folk in this thread were missing the "old days" of super sales with big discounts.

    Make your mind up, DAZ!

     

  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,513

    None of the Bundle Bonanza new items appeal to me; hopefully there will be some new one tomorrow. 

    I dumped a cartload of stuff from yesterday that was apparently discounted by the Cute sale, because it was full price this morning... frown

  • thistledownsnamethistledownsname Posts: 1,273
    edited January 2017
    L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

     

     (I recently picked up the OceanQueen (dragon) bundle and discovered there are no wing or tail membranes...!)

    The membranes are under runtime\props\AK OceanQueen

    Post edited by thistledownsname on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,476
    L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

     

     (I recently picked up the OceanQueen (dragon) bundle and discovered there are no wing or tail membranes...!)

    The membranes are under runtime\props\AK OceanQueen

    Thanks. I couldn't even find them when looking at "The OceanQueen" under Products. The content comes both separately and in the Mega-Bundle. I installed the individual products first... couldn't find the wing and tail membranes... installed the Mega-Bundle, still couldn't find them, but then everything was duplicated...! Uninstalled everything and reinstalled the bundle... Well, now I know where they are hidden, I'm looking forward to training  my new dragon.
    laugh

  • HavosHavos Posts: 4,882
    L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    In the case of the sale on formerly Encrypted Daz Connect items, I think they are just responding to the comments in the "Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread". That's just good marketing, to show your customers you do listen. (Of course, they do pick and choose what they listen to, but that's another topic altogether.)

    Perhaps there is a little desperation in their motives. After buying RuntimeDNA last year, they might not be making as big a profit as they had been. They need to win back the Poser users that gave up on DAZ3D.com as a place to get Poser content. And people like me—who started with Daz Studio and never tried Poser—are reluctant to buy RDNA items originally created for Poser. (I recently picked up the OceanQueen (dragon) bundle and discovered there are no wing or tail membranes...!)

    OTOH, the BYOB PC+ bundles in October, and the daily giveaways in December didn't really cost them much, and it built a lot of good will. I know I grabbed a lot of stuff I would probably never have bought. I'm still not sure what I'll use a pig or a hippo for, but if the fancy strikes, I've got them!

    We've seen RDNA artists move some or all of their catalog to Rendo. I'm guessing that has to do with the predominance of DS users here and Poser users there. Based on comments here in the forums, I think M4/V4 products do better overall at Rendo then here.

    And now that Rendo PAs are doing a lot more stuff for DS, Rendo is becoming a bigger competitor. I've read comments that Rendo doesn't have the deep discounts that DAZ has, but in many cases their prices aren't as high to begin with. If Daz can build/maintain customer loyalty by practically giving away stuff from the back catalogs, products whose sales have dropped off to almost nothing anyway, why wouldn't they? I'm not sure that's desperation, but I am sure it's good business... sort of a "loss leader" for digital products.

    If you look at the "What's Hot" list on Rendo, you will see that it is dominated by G3F items, plus a few props/scenes. Very few V4 or M4 items make it to the top sellers these days, so I suspect those vendors moving their generation 4 stuff to Rendo will find sales are pretty slow. There is not enough Poser users around anymore to fund a market place dedicated to them, and many of those still using it are old timers with huge amounts of content already, so probably do not buy much stuff anyway.

  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

    I enjoy both stores and find interesting products (too many of them) in both places. I'm a PC+ member here and a Prime member there. I shop their sales and ours, but spend about 20 times the money and time over here. I find the DAZ site far easier to use. I love the product library and the DIM. I get frustrated trying to manage content purchased from other sites. I was thrilled with the RDNA merger because I had quite a bit of stuff that moved over. Sometimes I forget what I have from the other places and where I put it (it's bad enough here, worse everywhere else!) I go months at a time forgetting Hivewire exists, but they have cool stuff too. So do some of the other smaller stores. Love the diversity. I'm all for it. But this is my 3D "home". heart

    Post edited by Llynara on
  • Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 694
    edited January 2017
    Havos said:
    L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    In the case of the sale on formerly Encrypted Daz Connect items, I think they are just responding to the comments in the "Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread". That's just good marketing, to show your customers you do listen. (Of course, they do pick and choose what they listen to, but that's another topic altogether.)

    Perhaps there is a little desperation in their motives. After buying RuntimeDNA last year, they might not be making as big a profit as they had been. They need to win back the Poser users that gave up on DAZ3D.com as a place to get Poser content. And people like me—who started with Daz Studio and never tried Poser—are reluctant to buy RDNA items originally created for Poser. (I recently picked up the OceanQueen (dragon) bundle and discovered there are no wing or tail membranes...!)

    OTOH, the BYOB PC+ bundles in October, and the daily giveaways in December didn't really cost them much, and it built a lot of good will. I know I grabbed a lot of stuff I would probably never have bought. I'm still not sure what I'll use a pig or a hippo for, but if the fancy strikes, I've got them!

    We've seen RDNA artists move some or all of their catalog to Rendo. I'm guessing that has to do with the predominance of DS users here and Poser users there. Based on comments here in the forums, I think M4/V4 products do better overall at Rendo then here.

    And now that Rendo PAs are doing a lot more stuff for DS, Rendo is becoming a bigger competitor. I've read comments that Rendo doesn't have the deep discounts that DAZ has, but in many cases their prices aren't as high to begin with. If Daz can build/maintain customer loyalty by practically giving away stuff from the back catalogs, products whose sales have dropped off to almost nothing anyway, why wouldn't they? I'm not sure that's desperation, but I am sure it's good business... sort of a "loss leader" for digital products.

    If you look at the "What's Hot" list on Rendo, you will see that it is dominated by G3F items, plus a few props/scenes. Very few V4 or M4 items make it to the top sellers these days, so I suspect those vendors moving their generation 4 stuff to Rendo will find sales are pretty slow. There is not enough Poser users around anymore to fund a market place dedicated to them, and many of those still using it are old timers with huge amounts of content already, so probably do not buy much stuff anyway.

    Yup. And I've seen a fair amount of grousing in various places there about vendors moving on to Genesis 3/Daz Studio, with some outright demanding they make more items for Poser. While I do sort of sympathize with their plight (as someone who still uses Genesis 2 half the time), the undisputable and hard-to-ignore fact of the matter is that the people who create this stuff for a living -aka, their day job- have to go where the market dispenses the most money, or else they face the possibility of having to go back to a 9-5 job. I think SickleYield made a pretty good point about this (not sure if it was either on DA or here) a while back.

     I just told one person over there that, unless they want to help pay for the extra time it would take to help teach some of the Daz-only vendors there to learn Poser (not to mention converting things like clothes and hair), because said time would take away from the time they need to make new stuff just so they can make a living, they just need to accept that the market is changing. I know that sounds really harsh, but it's true. 

    The upside to this, though, is that the vast majority of V4/M4 items can still be used and still hold up today. I look through the RDNA sales to find things that could work with what I have already, and a lot of them can be gussied up with new shaders and stuff. I just wish high collars and collars in general weren't so janked up during the auto-fit conversion, but ehhh... it is what it is.

    Though I wish they'd make a more robust filtering option for browsing... but that's for another thread entirely.

    Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • Tomorrow (or perhaps Monday) ought to be a big DAZ day.
    Might not be, but it ought to be.

     

  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 10,587

    Tomorrow (or perhaps Monday) ought to be a big DAZ day.
    Might not be, but it ought to be.

     

    I'm not sure of your reason for thinking that; but I suspect if there is a big day it will be after the current weekend sales are over.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,091
    edited January 2017

     

    Finlaena said:
    nicstt said:

    Sales promotions this year, seem desperate.

    That is a feeling I'm getting. I can't explain why exactly, and feelings are notorious for being wrong. But still, its there.

    Ehhhh, I think you might be onto something. It does seem kind of surprising they've been offering even things like Pro Bundles at deep discounts recently, especially since in the past those sales would be few and far in between March Madness + Platinum Club (aka Horror-Themed Item Showcase). Part of me wants to say it's because we have Genesis 4/Daz Studio 5 coming out soon, but maybe not. 

    OTOH, maybe Daz is doing decently enough that they can afford to do these kinds of sales. 

    I'm willing to bet that THAT is actually the case. 

    What has the history of Daz Studio's figure releases told us? 

    Victoria 5 was released in October 2011, two years later Victoria 6 was released in June of 2013, two years later Victoria 7 was released in June of 2015. Guess what? This year is two years after the release of Victoria 7 - so if the release history holds up on the same time line we'll be getting Victoria 8 this year - likely June of this year. 

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • DAZ had a very aggressive ad campaign on Facebook, that then started linking everywhere else I went, that got me to finally download DAZ. 

    Once I did, I saw the prices, and I didn't buy a thing. Until March Madness. Once I saw how the stacking discounts work - since then... LOTS. 

    And if there were a LOT of people like me... they may have realized there is WAY more money to be made if you price this content at prices that a giant hobbyist consumer base will buy. Victoria 4 Pro Pack is NEVER going to be worth more to me than the $4 I paid for it. Same for M4. You can get me to spend about $15 for a Genesis 3 character Pro Pack... maybe a starter pack if it is a character I really want that I see NEVER goes on sale because it is super popular. 

    But $140 or more? NEVER gonna happen. $40... never gonna happen. 

    And it is the same for the rest of the content. I'm never going to pay $20 for hair, or an outfit, or a prop or scenery. The rare exception are utilities that are VERY versatile, plugins, Terradome 3 - Hair Studio, UV sets that allow me to use skins between generations. I'll pay a little more for those - but even then, I prefer to get them at the $5-$10 range. That is why Headshop isn't in my library, and it won't be for a long time at the discounts it has been seeing. 

    But, I could be wrong... 

  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

    Tomorrow (or perhaps Monday) ought to be a big DAZ day.
    Might not be, but it ought to be.

    I keep hearing noises too about watching the store...hmm, well I watch the store anyhow. Can't help it. Resistance is futile, but should be interesting!

  • lxlx Posts: 2,996
    Llynara said:

    Tomorrow (or perhaps Monday) ought to be a big DAZ day.
    Might not be, but it ought to be.

    I keep hearing noises too about watching the store...hmm, well I watch the store anyhow. Can't help it. Resistance is futile, but should be interesting!

    I am ignorant to all rumblings, but aren't big days typically Tuesdays?

This discussion has been closed.