Converting G3 Poses to G2! IT WORKS!

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

I just used this script for the frst time to day and I have to say this is amazing! Thank you for creating this and saving people quite a bit of time in having to try and hand dial in poses they could not otherwise get for G2f. You are all awesome

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Thanks!!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited June 2017

Cheers for the script, I found it works so well I bought some G3 poses that I was after and converted them to G2.. :)

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • This doesn't work.  Where the heck does this thing put the conversions?  I tried it, ran the script and saw no evidence it did anything, so I copied my G3 pose folders I have into a new seperate folder, ran the script, and again, no evidence it did anything.  I've tried this several times and it's NEVER worked for me.  It runs (it's supposed to say completed) and just immediately closes and does nothing.  Why does NOTHING EVER WORK?!  It's never simple.  I give up.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

This doesn't work.  Where the heck does this thing put the conversions?  I tried it, ran the script and saw no evidence it did anything, so I copied my G3 pose folders I have into a new seperate folder, ran the script, and again, no evidence it did anything.  I've tried this several times and it's NEVER worked for me.  It runs (it's supposed to say completed) and just immediately closes and does nothing.  Why does NOTHING EVER WORK?!  It's never simple.  I give up.

So did you run the batch converter or the adjust script that does one at a time ?

• Batch converter, because there are some g3 pose sets I'd like to get but since I avoid Daz Studio whenever possible (since I don't know how to get it to to do what I want, its render speed is abysmal and it crashes my computer half the time) and use Poser (which I first used in Poser 3 and am extremely familiar with), I obviously want to use them in Poser with G2.  I'm also not a patient person, and doing them one by one is just... no

They may actually be done, and I just don't know where they are.  Does the converter put them in the same folder, or a different one?  And if so, which one?  I've looked everywhere I thought the conversions might be hiding and can't find any sign of them, which is why I don't think it's working.

okay deep breath here you are a happy Poser user ,so when you run the python script when the window pops up asking for what folder you want to convert ,once coverted look in that folder for a new folder labeled 00-G2 converted it should be at the top of the list .

• Hey!  I got it to work.  I put the .py file into the python folder, dragged the .py file onto python,exe, and it started working!  Is that what I was supposed to do in the first place?  I know very little about python.  But it's worked.  The new folder is present.  Now I just have to make sure it'll do it again.  Thank you for your aid, Carrie58.

Glad I could help but personally I find things work alot better with a bit of patience .......here in the forums most  people are willing to help have a good day

• MCphylyss_2MCphylyss_2 Posts: 48
    edited October 2018

@ sdp090675_a7f826bb61 : Sorry, Don't understand where the problem come from. The script have at least one bug, that stryder87 pojnted out : you should delete your conversion folder before to re-launch it (that's uggly, and I apologize for that. Profanity removed mistake...)

Otherwise, I just dont understand what happened bad to you. Python is just Magick, so It should work everywhere & everytime...

In every case, I'm just answering to that 'Now I just have to make sure it'll do it again' : Don't know what was the bug or what is your system, but one thing's sure : just remember how you made it work to make it work again^^

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Yes! It works! Hooray for Python! Now I can go buy all those wonderful G3 pose sets I've been wishing were for Genesis 2. Probably won't be able to afford anything but noodles for awhile but who cares? I am a happy little chickadee thanks to this. Good job!

• This has been an incredibly handy script... but with half of my poses, when I try to apply them, I get 'An error occurred while reading the file'

Viewing the log file, the error is 'Selected node(s) not a valid hierarchy. Error reading file, see log for more details.'

Any suggestions on that?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    I have not encountered this. I think the error code means it is looking for the parent figure but not finding it.
  • Hi, MCphylyss. It looks like the script for the G3 to G2 converter has expired. Could you reattach it?

The  Files are still there for me on Firefox

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but I can confirm that the Python scripts work well in Linux.

• Now, it's working. Earlier, when I clicked on the link, all I got was a .jpg that said TXT.

yup and you save that and change the TXT  to a PY. and put it where you want and you are all good

• And we're back in action!

• Is there anything planned for converting G8 poses to G2? 

• This is amazing, thank you.

Is there anything planned for converting G8 poses to G2? 

Dunno, but it should be a very simple fix since G8 poses only require small tweaks from G3. There is already a G8 to G3 converter, so that could be a work around until then. Convert to G3, then convert to G2.

• been a long time since I programed... 
    but once you have the pose converted to g2 could you run a second script to convert it back to G1...   logic says the bone names of 3 should be changed so that they're the same as 2?

been a long time since I programed... 
    but once you have the pose converted to g2 could you run a second script to convert it back to G1...   logic says the bone names of 3 should be changed so that they're the same as 2?

It should be possible, you just need a pose converter that converts to G1. If I remember right, this script worked a bit differently from previous converters, that's how it was able to get around the changes in bones between generations. That's also why it is not totally perfect, but very close to the original pose. I believe it would be possible to adapt this script for other generations...but I know nothing of coding. Since this script is not encrypted, you can dig into it, see how it works, and make your own modifications if you wish.

• Hi.

Few days ago,, I decided to upgrade the script so that it can manage several "conversion maps" (G8).

So today, Supported models are G1, G2, G3 and G8. You can now convert from any of these models to any other. (G1/G2 conversion is pretty nice, G2/G3 didn't change at all and is really aproximative, G3/G8 is almost perfect since skeleton are pretty identical.)

I added a tool for users to add their own conversion map. When G9 will be released, for example, you will be able to add a "G2 to G9" map by yourself (very easy, no need to be familiar with coding).

I also added a few options :

- Transformation types to get from the original pose : translations / rotations / scale (+ main bone transformations)

- Full body / partial poses : accept partial poses, or force zero position for unspecified bones

- Overwrite : if disabled, converted files cant replace already converted files.

There's also a little change : from now, any converted file will be saved in the script folder, so that it can't mess up your DAZ library.

Script is already working on my PC, I just need to clean up the code and test it a bit more before to share it. I'll post it soon here, and maybe on a "more appropriate" platform like shareCG.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Hi.

Few days ago,, I decided to upgrade the script so that it can manage several "conversion maps" (G8).

So today, Supported models are G1, G2, G3 and G8. You can now convert from any of these models to any other. (G1/G2 conversion is pretty nice, G2/G3 didn't change at all and is really aproximative, G3/G8 is almost perfect since skeleton are pretty identical.)

I added a tool for users to add their own conversion map. When G9 will be released, for example, you will be able to add a "G2 to G9" map by yourself (very easy, no need to be familiar with coding).

I also added a few options :

- Transformation types to get from the original pose : translations / rotations / scale (+ main bone transformations)

- Full body / partial poses : accept partial poses, or force zero position for unspecified bones

- Overwrite : if disabled, converted files cant replace already converted files.

There's also a little change : from now, any converted file will be saved in the script folder, so that it can't mess up your DAZ library.

Script is already working on my PC, I just need to clean up the code and test it a bit more before to share it. I'll post it soon here, and maybe on a "more appropriate" platform like shareCG.

Yay! I'm looking forward to it!! 

• Hi,

I had problems to do a generic version that works on Linux/Mac, so for know I just posted Windows exe version. You don't need python to be installed anymore.

here's the link on shareCG : https://www.sharecg.com/v/89846/view/8/Script/Daz3d-Pose-Converter-Standalone

To use it :

- Download the zip file. Unzip it to wherever you want.

- go to the extracted folder and launch "main.exe"

- chose the converter you want by clicking the corresponding button. A file explorer window will prompt.

- Select the folder you want to batch convert.

- Converted files will be written in a sub-folder LOCATED IN THE SAME FOLDER AS THE SCRIPT ITSELF, wich is called "converted poses".

Let me know if there's any problem.

• Hi,

I had problems to do a generic version that works on Linux/Mac, so for know I just posted Windows exe version. You don't need python to be installed anymore.

here's the link on shareCG : https://www.sharecg.com/v/89846/view/8/Script/Daz3d-Pose-Converter-Standalone

To use it :

- chose the converter you want by clicking the corresponding button. A file explorer window will prompt.

- Converted files will be written in a sub-folder LOCATED IN THE SAME FOLDER AS THE SCRIPT ITSELF, wich is called "converted poses".

OMG. Just got occasion to test this out. So far, so AWESOME!! Thank you SO, SO much for this script!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Hi,

To use it :

This is SO GOOD! I just converted 25 pose sets from G2 to G8 and it took just a few minutes. AWESOME! 

Thank you so much for this! yeslaugh

• Thanks for feddbacks! The thing is that I just learnt to use multi threading efficiently so... version I posted was using a single thread. On my CPU (6 threads), I just multiplied conversion speed by 6!

More than that, I spent lot of time to create a structure that allows you to re-use most part of that code to do whatever you need. For example, I used it today to make a G3/G8 morph converter, and I converted 4500 morphs in 96 seconds! You could even use it to create a skin converter!

There's also a "plugin" system that allows you to support every model you need...

For now, I'm thinking about a way to share it properly, so that people could had and share there own plugins. Final goal is that you could use each daz data on each daz model, which can require maths/artistic skills that I don't have...