What if you are not a good animator?

nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
edited December 2016 in The Commons

Can you still try to make your movie? I'm planning a full movie but i know some parts will suck bad.

Post edited by nokoteb99 on

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Positive response:  Reach for the stars, you can do it!  You will learn as you go.

Negative response:  Yes, it will suck.  Choose another hobby and save yourself the frustration.

(Pick one and ignore the other)  :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,568
    edited December 2016

Keep trying and learning, not much else you can do.

edit: I would love to do animations myself, but although I have tried, the amount of work involved and how bad I was at made me stop since I am fairly good at texturing and even better at modeling so I decided to spend my time for now at getting better at those 2.

best of luck!

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Slightly different thing,  but close.   I discovered a fairly long time ago that although in real life I could "construct" decent clothing, in 3d I suck as a modeller, although I am not at all bad at texturing.   So I stuck to texturing, getting different styles for existing models that way, and actually supplying the sketches for real modellers to make up a couple of my designs, mostly for free, but at least one was a commercial product, although the vendor did not give me credit for the design, just a free copy of the finished model.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I think animating (much like anything) takes practice. The more you attempt it, the better you will get. The problem is going over and over your animations to get the practice in the first place.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Dont try to create a feature length animated film. 
    get more experience creating short clips first.

• Will it suck more than what they already have on television? That would totally blow. Have fun and fix up the mistakes so you are happy with it.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well, what you see on TV and movies? The markets are cornered and saturated for those shows so you may as well try to make a story that you enjoy and for no other reason then that.

I was in a restaurant yesterday and the 'popular music' was absolutely bad and sounded like it came out of a math book by someone calculating what a music hit would sound like if past hit music of the modern pop music genre with minimal deltas applied to be considered different and new but it wasn't good music. They played 3 songs while we were there and you couldn't tell one singer from the other and the voices sounded more computerized then the computerized voices myself and someothers were discussing in another thread in these forums recently.

So you can plainly see the mass media market or those that think the mass media market is an absolute arbiter of good taste are not going to be a reliable gauge as to whether or not your animation(s) is(are) any good or not.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

My initial facetious remarks aside, I just yesterday heard someone say something like, "The creative process is much more rewarding than the end result."  So despite the fact that your animation may suck, you will learn a lot along the way.  Go for it.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443

i suck at all aspects of this computer graphics stuff. I keep working at it..I like the process and learning. One day I will not suck as much. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    nokoteb99 said:

Can you still try to make your movie? I'm planning a full movie but i know some parts will suck bad.

We all got to start somewhere. , Start small and over time as you get better  go Huge.  :)  I've been doing animation for over 8 years and I'm still, learning something new every project.  and my animations may sux .But I love the challenge of creating them annyway.

Keep pluging away.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited December 2016

Animation is just a means to an end for me

I find  the Actual Process of creating Character animation quite tedious and BORING!!!sad

This is why at least with real time nonlinear systems like Iclone Pro I  and DS animate 2

I can get my motions created quickly and export the Data out to or apply to a genesis figure.

I can wait for it to be done so I can  render  it and move on to post production. 

I love adding my post effects, color grading in After effects and editing my finished footage in Imovie HD
    where the story comes together in a narrative way

Honestly I am more of a VFX/ Video editing guy than I am an animator,
    Since I also Do 2D graphic Design for print
    I consider myself more of a "Visual Media Producer " than "animator"

It is the putting it all together at the end that I enjoy the most.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Don't take my comments the wrong way please but...  Even bad movies can rule. For example, some "Spaghetti Westerns" are so crinchworthy and crazy that they're actually fun to watch. Of course it probably doesn't boost the directors ego if you're laughing your lungs out while watching a scene which is suppose to be extremely tense and exciting, but hey: at least you're enjoying yourself.

And as cliche as it sounds: you don't know until you try.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    nokoteb99 said:

Just keep practicing. When you're finished, practice more. Keep at it for as long as it takes, and eventually, NO parts will suck. 

Try doing much smaller animations before attempting something on the scale of a full-length movie. Assess where your strengths in animation lie, and hone them. Take the areas that you think will suck, and focus on short animations that will let you improve them the the level of your other skills. There is no substitute for experience.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Go for it, but please consider that while the tools-of-the-trade are constantly allowing you to achieve your vision more accurately, your own vision and your standards will ultimately determine how much work and quality you will invest. If you don't think it 'looks right' neither will we, but that might still be OK if it's a good enough story and fun to watch! Compare yourself to pixar, and you may go nuts.

Also, realize that there are no 'silver bullets' that make the magic happen - you have to coax it along the whole way.

E.g. - Aniblocks are generic and a nice start, but they always need tweaking for the 'right' look. This takes some attention, but it's kind of fun.

Most buildings render nicely out-of-the-box, but never seem to have exactly the 'look' you want, so you learn to tweak lights and textures. This also takes energy, but it's also fun.

You need a certain sword that doesn't exist in the stores or freebie collections. You make one in hexagon or blender and texture it!, This takes some work and is kind of fun! (some folks might argue...)

Someone dear to me constantly reminds me of the absurdly long list of credits at the end of any Pixar movie, but then you look at the results of the one-man-shops in these forums, and it's unbelievable how well their productions come out.

If you like both the animation tool mechanisms and telling stories, you really must give it a try!

... and show us your results and always ask questions in here, There are many brilliant and generous folks willing to help anywhere they can!

cheers,

--ms

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,342
    edited December 2016

There's been some good advice in this thread. Start small.  Work towards more complicated things as your craftsmanship develops and grows.  There is no shortcut.  There is only hard work.  If you want it.  Work at it.

Learn stuff,  then practice, go out a do it.  You learn by doing.  And then practice some more.  By that point you will know more than you do now. And what you thought was hard,  will by then, be easier.  And then take what you learned and practice some more.  It's the 10 thousand hour rule.  Doesn't matter what endevour,  be it  gymnastics, musician,  hockey player. animator,  athlete, artist,   you can get world class good if you put in the hours of practice to learn your craft.  No shortcuts. 

Only people that seem to get away with not practicing are those few celebrities that are famous just for the sake of being famous, but I'm sure even they had to stand in front of a mirror learning how to pout just right. 

Bottom line, 15 years ago I didn't know how to model.  And there's still more to learn. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    nokoteb99 said:

Can you still try to make your movie?

Does Spielbers animate? Does Cameron act? Does Lucan do anything?

I do amazing sculptures in layers of cut glass. Do I take hammer to stone? No.

nokoteb99 said:

I'm planning a full movie but i know some parts will suck bad.

A "full movie" all by yourself, doing everything... Does the name "Ed Wood" ring a bell?

I'm on a movie right now. It's an indy, and there's at least 25 of us on it, not counting voice talent. Two main characters each have their own animator and modeller. We've got someone who just places cameras, and two lighting and atmo people. Painters. I'm only building equipment (which I am not animating) and painting the clean textures. A full time painter is dirtying them up. The only animation I'm touching is a character's dress that scatters into the air as 1,200 flying hexagonal tiles and reassembles itself on her as body armor, and the only reason I'm the one doing that particular animation is that it's programatic animation, over 2,000 lines of python.

• nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
    edited December 2016

Thanks all for the wonderful advice. I'm going to go at it slow. learning more and more. Like one of my problems is cinematography, so i'm reading my book about it and practicing. cause my camera shots suck at times i dont' know what to shoot it's difficult to decide. but i learn as i go.

Yeah it's a full length movie, but i've done a full length before. It sucked bad but over the years i though, learned, practice more so I'm gonna try to make a better product this time. And interesetingly , although it sucked , all of the people i showed it to loved it. : )

Post edited by nokoteb99 on
  • Shows you are your own worst critic. An artist. Well, keep in mind that when you do a full length movie say 90 minutes or 2 hours, it is made up of scenes. Each scene about 6 minutes in time. Those 6 minutes are a collection of shots. Each shot about 2 seconds or 8 seconds on average. Although this is not a hard rule. Break it the way you like it. You are the director and editor. Some shots such as in Goodfellas have steadycam following the actors for a couple of minutes. Same in some old B&W movies had crane shot and hold on action for a couple of minutes. Hitchcock's movies perhaps? Cinematography is a series of establishing shot LS long shot. MS medium shot which brings us closer to the subjects in that place doing whatever. CU close up of the subject hand putting coin in phone slot for instance and pan to dialing number. Cut to close up of subject head and shoulders talking on phone. Cut to another subject responding. Cut back to subject reaction statement. Cut to MS shot subject hangs up. Cut to LS subject exits phone booth. Continue or new scene.