RIP Carrie Fisher

The first loss from the main cast. Troubled life but leaves a tremendous body of work. RIP Princess.

Comments

• I really hoped she would recover.  Even with only a few days left, 2016 keeps taking.

Thank you, Carrie Fisher, for giving us an amazing, strong heroine to grow up with and help shape our imaginations.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I'm just heartbroken. This one hit me hard. Princess Leia was one of my heroes.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

She was an amazing actress!! R.I.P Carrie!!!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

R.I.P. Princess Leia.  We will miss you always.

• The first loss from the main cast.

That dubious honour, sadly, was long ago claimed by Peter Cushing and Sir Alec Guinness.

• This year sucks....

I sure hope this isn't just a taste of what next year is going to bring.... sad

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

well that sucks!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,311

I've been dreading this news since I heard that she'd had a heart attack.  She created one of the most memorable action heroines in cinema history, up there with Ellen Ripley, Trinity and Sarah Connor.  She may be gone but she will never be forgottten.

Alex.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,567

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force!"

R.I.P. Princess!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579

...when I heard about the heart attack on the plane last week I said "no, please not again". 

Not only was her role as Princess Leia iconic, I really loved her as the jilted girlfriend of Jake in one of my favourite films, The Blues Brothers. 

• Funny really...(not her death)...At the time Star Wars came out, I would not have picked Carrie Fisher as my Princess Leia.  But only a few minutes into the film, I was sold.  She really made it her role.  I think her biggest attraction was the underlying sense of humor that she gave to the character.  For as campy as all of the main roles were set up to be played, she really made Leia into a real person and not just a sci fi princess. 

I'm sure that Carrie has found her real place among the stars, now.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

And she was an excellent writer.  Postcards from the Edge.

RIP, "...to me, she will always be royalty."

• his xhis x Posts: 866

She is beyond pain now.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Oh man... This sucks so bad. WTH is WRONG with this year!?!?

This hurts. This really really hurts. 

• Bummer year 2016... trying to ignore the rest of the week! Peace to all friends, family and fans.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Only 60 years old. Think what she could have accomplished in the next 20-30 years, with her talent, wit, and sense of humor. That last one is what I remember about her in recent years- her interviews were always self deprecating and funny, she really interacted with the hosts spontaneously. Rest in peace Carrie, may your star shine as brightly in the sky as here on Earth. 

• Just binged watched all 6 episodes about a week ago.  RIP Princess

• :( RIP Carrie

• She had completed her principal photography scenes for the sequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, so we will see her one last time in her iconic role.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

It has been a wrenching year. She had a wonderful humor and grand writer.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I had a nasty suspicion when I first heard she'd had the heart attack, sometimes I hate being right.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

The first loss from the main cast.

That dubious honour, sadly, was long ago claimed by Peter Cushing and Sir Alec Guinness.

Personally, don't really consider Peter Cushing part of the main cast. he's only in a few scenes and really isn't even the main bad guy in "Star Wars" as Vader is in far more scenes. But you are right about Alec Guinness. My mistake.  Actually, the fellow that was inside R2D2 died this year as well, now that i think of it. I guess when a film gets to be 40 years old, it's to be expected that cast and crew will pass. Still very sad to anyone who loves those films and those characters though.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 2016
    kyoto kid said:

...when I heard about the heart attack on the plane last week I said "no, please not again". 

Not only was her role as Princess Leia iconic, I really loved her as the jilted girlfriend of Jake in one of my favourite films, The Blues Brothers. 

I too recall her fondly from Blues Brothers, great scene with her threatening Belushi, sadly also gone too soon. 

If you scan youtube you can find many auditions by actors for the roles of Han, Luke, Leia in the original 1977 Star Wars. Some were well known, others completely not. But what I noticed was that in the case of Leia, they couldn't have done a better job of casting. Other actresses would read the lines like some damsel in distress. Fisher approached the character with a real edge. We knew essentially nothing about her in that first movie and yet she leapt off the screen, so alive, immediately. I mean Darth Vader - Darth Vader! - walks in and she chews him out in feigned outrage while knowing that she's in real trouble all the while. Wonderful acting there by Fisher, she sold it, totally.

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483

I'm no Star Wars fan, but it nevertheless came as a sad shock to me when I heard of her passing.

Guess we all have to go when our time comes. R.I.P., Carrie...

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Don't forget Kenny Baker (Artoo) and the guy who voiced Admiral Ackbar (IT'S A TRAP!) 

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

Don't forget Kenny Baker (Artoo) and the guy who voiced Admiral Ackbar (IT'S A TRAP!) 

I was going to mention that Kenny Baker passed away in August of this year but you and another poster beat me to it.

Of all the famous people's deaths this year I think Carrie is the biggest one for me. She had a great and offbeat sense of humour that really shown through in chat shows and comedy panel shows etc. Her appearances on The Last Leg were excellent. But the influence that Star Wars (and Blues Brothers to a lesser extent) has had on my life, and that of many others, can't really be measured. She was a part of that and always will be. It's times like this that I wish I believed in some kind of 'force'.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

Yeah, sad indeed... Return of the Jedi was the first Star Wars movie I saw at the cinema way back when I was 14 (1983, so long ago now, heh) so it's quite funny that I ended up with a nickname that invokes one of the baddies from that movie.

I did a tribute portrait in Photoshop based on a promo image for the first Star Wars movie - none of it is a 3D render, but I did use a selection of Ron's brushes available in the DAZ store (Rons Sci-Fi Optical Flares, Ron's Powder, and Ron's Fireflies)...

Carrie Fisher WALLPAPER.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 744K
  • ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

Hmzzz, I sneaked into the first instalment (since I was to young to watch it) with my dad, but somehow saw the second and third instalment in a digital remastered version around the tern of the century.....but having said that....my wall could not avoid a starwars poster featuring Carrie and Mark, alongside the obviuos collection of dinosaurs, without feathers allas and some spaceships I drew as at night I wandered through Harry Harrisons universe. Maybe it was the first scene of that movie that turned me into a life long SciFi fan and it was certainly influancial in me taking up 3D modelling, when CPU and GPU power were available to do so.

BTW, Jabba, love the portrait and I read today that she has completed her takes for instalment VIII so she will once again dash over the big screen........and please local cinema in 2D since I love 3D but get splitting head aches when being forced to watch stereovision (so called 3D),

Greets, ArtisanS

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910

Feeling sad for the passing of another Great. 

For me, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia really made the "impact" when she took the rescue into her own hands, grabbing the gun and then going into the unknown opening.  That was truly when I saw the potential "role model" for a young woman of a strong, confident, able to lead (but not HAVING to) woman who was also willing to be rescued without losing herself  to the "alpha dominance" of the rescuer.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

2016 can't be over soon enough! This really sucks.