Exporting As A .OBJ Or...

korstemplarkorstemplar Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi guys,

I'm working on a project for some friends that will be eventually animated in Blender (the crew is also using 3DStudio for other phases). My question is which format is this: I want to export the character (DAZ Troll) so it will be suitable for animating in Blender, but if I export it as an .obj the rig will not follow. Should I export as a .Collada or some other format? Thanks for any help on this.

CHEERS;-)

Shakti

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

I'm working on a project for some friends that will be eventually animated in Blender (the crew is also using 3DStudio for other phases). My question is which format is this: I want to export the character (DAZ Troll) so it will be suitable for animating in Blender, but if I export it as an .obj the rig will not follow. Should I export as a .Collada or some other format? Thanks for any help on this.

CHEERS;-)

Shakti

Does Blender have rigging tools?

• korstemplarkorstemplar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

CHEERS;-)

Shakti

Hi EP and thanks for the quick reply. Yes they do but if they have to re-rig the character it will surely slow down the workflow quite a lot. It would be great if the rig could be included with the character.

CHEERS;-)

edited December 1969

Hi guys,

CHEERS;-)

Shakti

Hi EP and thanks for the quick reply. Yes they do but if they have to re-rig the character it will surely slow down the workflow quite a lot. It would be great if the rig could be included with the character.

CHEERS;-)

What about fbx?

• korstemplarkorstemplar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

CHEERS;-)

Shakti

CHEERS;-)

What about fbx?

Hi again, EP.
    That might work. Blender includes a Python export script for FBX. I'll have a go and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your input.

CHEERS;-)
    Michael

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

When I searched Google daz studio rigging in blender I found a few bits of info that might help namely this one http://maddieman.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/exporting-daz-studio-4-figures-to-blender/

edited December 1969

Good info. Szark!