Anime/Manga Charatcers

I've been away for a good 5 years and I wanted to get back at this. Problem is, when I was using Daz3D for my manga characters, I had Aiko 3 and Hiro 3. Now I see updated versions and they look more American than anything. I want a character that still passes for manga but doesn't look ridiculously creepy or too toonish (did that make sense?). 

Aiko 6 looks great but I'm having trouble finding a male partner. Hiro 5 is alright as well (I guess there's no Hiro 6). Aiko 7 looks like a girl I've passed on the street 100,000,000 times in my life. Too normal/realistic for my tastes (and my wallet). 

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

There are tools available to transfer the Aiko 3 and Hiro 3 shapes into the newest figures. That way you can use the older shapes you want, but on the more up to date figures, which have superior bends etc.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

If you want a female character matching Hiro 5 in style look at Hitomi.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 2016

If you want to get back into using your old A3 & H3 content and you're willing to make the expenses, you can buy the A3 and H3 Shapes for Genesis which come with Autofit clones to let you use their content on the original Genesis figure. If you have any particular characters of their's you liked, you can create morphs of them for Genesis using Dimension3D's Genesis Generation X2. Just make sure you pick-up the GenX AddOn Gen3 for A3 and H3 with it.

Though, if you want to use their MATs, this is where the catch starts coming in. Genesis tech isn't compatible with the Gen 3 UV and so all textures for them will require conversion, which can be achieved with 3D Universe's Texture Convertor 2 (TC2) Bundle. Though, this is the more expressive route and PC support for the product has been discontinued. The alternative is if you were to GenX your characters directly to Genesis 3, then the Legacy UVs for Genesis 3: Special Edition - Victoria 3 by Cayman Studios is what you would want to look at. The drawback with this one, however, is that this product is only for the Genesis 3 Female and the artist isn't interested in providing a male version. So, while this means that all Gen 3 skins are usable on the latest tech, it also means that you'll have to GenX both Aiko & Hiro to Genesis 3 Female and go from there.

One more thing, if you do choose to go down the Gen 3-to-Genesis 3 path, you'll still need to Autofit their articles to the original Genesis, which then require the Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Female(s) product to let you then convert them to Genesis 3 Female. Just make sure you export the articles as a wearable OBJ first.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 2016

I'd also recommend the Aiko 4 and Hiro 4 morphs for Genesis 1. The skin textures for any characters from those base figures are also easily transferred to Genesis since the UVs are compatible to Victoria 4 and Michael 4 which Genesis 1 natively accepts.

Post edited by Servant on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Plus there is this for Genesis3 female       http://www.daz3d.com/sf-anime-character-builder

• I feel your pain. The newer generations of Aiko are lovely in their own way, but they've stepped further and further away from the style of A3 and H3. They have more in common with videogame characters than most of the manga characters I've enjoyed reading in imports over the years. And Hiro 5 was totally creepy in his proportions - it is no wonder they don't make Hiros like that anymore!

However, working within Genesis 1 has its pluses. :)

If you get the Genesis clones for A3 and H3, take advantage of Genesis' compatibility with M4 and V4 textures. That way you can use skin textures for A4 and H4 (which are really just morphs for Victoria 4 and Michael 4). You can also pick up some of the Anime Eyes packages for V4 and M4. You may also want to pick up the A4 and H4 clones for Genesis while you're at it. Genesis will let you dial in more than one character morph at a time and you might find that a blend of A3 and A4 looks better to you than just vanilla A3 or A4 would.

• edited December 2016

Looks like I have a lot of "Frankensteining" to do. 

carrie58 said:

Plus there is this for Genesis3 female       http://www.daz3d.com/sf-anime-character-builder

Thanks for this link. I looked at the video and it seems easy enough. Just a few clicks. 

The more I stare at the product, the more I think I'm ok with the new Kenji, although my characters are 16-20 and he looks 13 at the most. Hitomi is cute but her mouth upsets me lol. I think I'm going to get the A3/H3 for Genesis. 

Post edited by lizzy_strickland89_0c424aa309 on
  • If you want to get back into using your old A3 & H3 content and you're willing to make the expenses, you can buy the A3 and H3 Shapes for Genesis which come with Autofit clones to let you use their content on the original Genesis figure. If you have any particular characters of their's you liked, you can create morphs of them for Genesis using Dimension3D's Genesis Generation X2. Just make sure you pick-up the GenX AddOn Gen3 for A3 and H3 with it.

So with the Gen3 for A3 and H3 add on, I'll be able to morph Aiko 3 with Genesis 3 models? (Like Aiko 7)

• I feel your pain. The newer generations of Aiko are lovely in their own way, but they've stepped further and further away from the style of A3 and H3. They have more in common with videogame characters than most of the manga characters I've enjoyed reading in imports over the years. And Hiro 5 was totally creepy in his proportions - it is no wonder they don't make Hiros like that anymore!

However, working within Genesis 1 has its pluses. :)

If you get the Genesis clones for A3 and H3, take advantage of Genesis' compatibility with M4 and V4 textures. That way you can use skin textures for A4 and H4 (which are really just morphs for Victoria 4 and Michael 4). You can also pick up some of the Anime Eyes packages for V4 and M4. You may also want to pick up the A4 and H4 clones for Genesis while you're at it. Genesis will let you dial in more than one character morph at a time and you might find that a blend of A3 and A4 looks better to you than just vanilla A3 or A4 would.

Yeah it sucks that Aiko no longer looks like the anime girls I've fell in love with. But hopefully I can get some of these morphs working again. I found some of my old renders with the large eyes and I would like to try to recreate that 

If you want to get back into using your old A3 & H3 content and you're willing to make the expenses, you can buy the A3 and H3 Shapes for Genesis which come with Autofit clones to let you use their content on the original Genesis figure. If you have any particular characters of their's you liked, you can create morphs of them for Genesis using Dimension3D's Genesis Generation X2. Just make sure you pick-up the GenX AddOn Gen3 for A3 and H3 with it.

So with the Gen3 for A3 and H3 add on, I'll be able to morph Aiko 3 with Genesis 3 models? (Like Aiko 7)

Yes, you will also need the Genesis 3 Add On for Generation X. Below is a quick render of the A3 shape on G3F, and thanks to this product: http://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-special-edition-victoria-3, she is using the original A3 skin.

A3 Shape and Skin On G3F.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 39K
  • Havos said:

Yes, you will also need the Genesis 3 Add On for Generation X. Below is a quick render of the A3 shape on G3F, and thanks to this product: http://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-special-edition-victoria-3, she is using the original A3 skin.

OMG Thanks! She's everything I wanted lol. Now I'm getting excited. Time to do some budget checking 

Havos said:

OMG Thanks! She's everything I wanted lol. Now I'm getting excited. Time to do some budget checking 

Just remember that if you want to use H3 on Genesis 3, you'll have to GenX him to Genesis 3 Female.

Havos said:

Just remember that if you want to use H3 on Genesis 3, you'll have to GenX him to Genesis 3 Female.

That is true, but even with a "female" weight map he will still bend much better than using the original H3 figure. As I said elsewhere the bigger issue is having to auto-fit all the clothing, but in my experience it is easier to autofit male clothing to a female figure, than vice versa.

• Havos said:

alright, that shouldn't be too hard I don't think 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    Havos said:

Haven't tried it yet, but couldn't you take morphs from Hiro3 to Genesis, to Genesis 2 Male, to Genesis 3 Male, and the texture maps from H3 to Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 3 Male?

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:
    Havos said:

Haven't tried it yet, but couldn't you take morphs from Hiro3 to Genesis, to Genesis 2 Male, to Genesis 3 Male, and the texture maps from H3 to Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 3 Male?

-- Walt Sterdan

The H3 shape you can get to any Genesis 1-3 base, but the skins are trickier, as you either use TC2 to convert the texture to M4 or V4 first, or use the new product I mentioned to put it directly on G3F. With the former solution you can put the skin on G3M (assuming you have the M4 to G3F product), but the second solution is G3F only as the geografts it needs to work will not work on G3M.

• edited December 2016

So just because I like making things even more diffcult and confusing myself more than I am, is there a way to combine H3 and Kenji? Like a 50/50 or 25/75 sort of thing? Because I've been staring at Kenji for a while and he does sort of look like a few of my male characters from 5 years ago. I think I remember dialing down the male eyes.

If not I'll just stick with GenX'ing H3 to Genesis 3 female. Most of the outfits I can live without 

D78E939C-EB1F-4B36-A771-0E86EB36C53C-3965-000002719B51DC16_tmp.png
    774 x 1032 - 106K
    BB974449-1B0F-4B6A-8931-F8363FD3D307-3965-00000274318CED14_tmp.png
    744 x 558 - 243K
    Post edited by lizzy_strickland89_0c424aa309 on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

If you have GenX2, and use that to transfer H3 to Genesis 3, and get Kenji, you can dial in whatever combination of them you desire. All the GenX2 converted morphs can be applied with dials at any percentage you like.

Yep! Basically, GenX2 lets you transfer any character to any figure.

• Yep! Basically, GenX2 lets you transfer any character to any figure.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Yep! Basically, GenX2 lets you transfer any character to any figure.

Keep in mind that if you're going to transfer to Genesis 3 you're going to need three different products:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

How did this topic get this far with zero mention of Star 2.0 o.o 

I don't like the insane bishoujou arms and legs but the joy of her finally being a Genesis 3 character means I can have the updated anime face and all those extra morphs but adjust the body a lot more than you could with plain old Star.

Also there is Keiko (base body shape is pretty much modern anime ideals, though I prefer using other faces.)

Of course if for some reason you think an anime needs male characters in it you're doomed so you're probably better off sticking with A3/H3.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I was thinking the same; bought her a few days ago, and am very happy.

• Yep! Basically, GenX2 lets you transfer any character to any figure.

Keep in mind that if you're going to transfer to Genesis 3 you're going to need three different products:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3

I also have GenX AddOn Gen3 for A3 and H3, do I not need that? I mean it was under $6 so I'm not complaining 

• lx said:

How did this topic get this far with zero mention of Star 2.0 o.o 

I don't like the insane bishoujou arms and legs but the joy of her finally being a Genesis 3 character means I can have the updated anime face and all those extra morphs but adjust the body a lot more than you could with plain old Star.

Also there is Keiko (base body shape is pretty much modern anime ideals, though I prefer using other faces.)

Of course if for some reason you think an anime needs male characters in it you're doomed so you're probably better off sticking with A3/H3.

Star is horribly scary looking...but I sort of like Keiko. As for the males (which every anime needs males otherwise it's just boring) I'm going with a morph of H3 and Kenji.

• Hatsune MikuHatsune Miku Posts: 849
    edited January 2017

Kioki works pretty good as a anime character check my gallery here:

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/29485

most of the character were aiko 3 with kioki morph.

Post edited by Hatsune Miku on
  • Kioki is adorable!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    lx said:
    Taozen said:
    lx said:
    Taozen said:
    lx said:
    Taozen said:
    lx said:
    Taozen said:

I just came across these the other day, they're fully dressed characters and includes all that you see in the promos, but they can only be used as they are, as the body mesh under the clothing has been removed.

http://forender.com/component/mijoshop/product/1434-doa-marryrose-bundle-01.html

Now that's what you call copyright infringement.

Huh?  

A lot of the figures on there look like the direct source engine rips.

Got any links? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=doa+mary+rose&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=overwatch+d.va&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=overwatch+tracer&tbm=isch

There should be enough official art in those searches - I only picked out three noteable characters from the store but there were a bunch more I recognised. Pretty sure even if they modelled it themselves (which I'm not sure on if the outfits are part of each model...) selling exact replicas isn't the best idea.

OK, not sure what's going on here. I saw in their forum that people are reporting bugs which get fixed so I guess they're doing at least some of it themselves. Can these characters and clothes be purchased elsewhere?

I have no idea if the figures are ripped and then rigged by that store, or if they completely make them and rig them themselves, but those designs with those outfits are identical to those of big name characters in gaming, the sort with tens of millions of players. As far as I know the companies involved haven't let anyone sell 3D meshes of their game characters. There are uh "fan" types that have ripped those models and used them in uh "personal" movies of those specific characters though (obviously not going to link to that but there were news articles of Blizzard shutting some of them down.)

If you just want a version of that character to do renders with that's a good source I guess, but a lot of people on here buy content to use in commercial images or their own comics, etc. and if you use one of those characters, someone will eventually notice, so just a heads up to anyone who might buy them without knowing about the IPs they are from.

OK, I chatted with them (rather poor english) and they said they were not ripped but "redrawn".  Whether that's true or not is probably hard to tell unless you have a rip of the original figure I guess. If it's true I'm not sure about the legal aspects of it.

• Is more fun to create your own anime original characters with Daz resources

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Personally, I like to take a little Aiko and Hiro to 'toonify' characters a little, then use simple skins.

Like: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Anime-guy-654651827

Just depends on what style you are shooting for.