Subsurface Scattering ?

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

How can i give an object a subsurface scattering material like a creme, banana or grapes ?

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Bryce doesnt have true SSS. It has translucency, but it can be rather fiddly to make it look like SSS and even then it will not be easy or should I say fast to render. In the other thread we talked about careful use of things like Ambience. This is one of those occasions where you might be forced to resort to ambience as other workarounds though better looking might be a render time killer. Best of luck.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

don't make green grapes like I did, go with red/purple ones, they're not as translucent,

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    How can i give an object a subsurface scattering material like a creme, banana or grapes ?

If can be done but... as stated it will be time consuming and will need a bit of work. Along these lines http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4463&mode=search

With two objects, one for the outer surface using blurred transmission to break up the ray path through the material and a second object to "mop up" those rays which try to travel through the main body of the object. All that remains then is rays that dip in and out of the model surface by interacting with the diffuse of the inner object material giving the impression of subsurface scattering. In the example above, a volumetric material was used to give a very soft transition of density within - this combined with multiple light sources, a transparent outer material and blurred transmissions... resulted in a "longish" render.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David

I have the same idea with two objects but my test fails. The dragon look´s very good, like ivory.