How does one know when there's an update to a product...

AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
edited December 2016 in The Commons

if one does manual installs? There's nothing in account history - nothing in the list and nothing when you click on a product that says whether or not it's EVER been updated. There needs to be a way to not only notify people when there's an update (other sites do this) but allow them to see that there's been one in their product history list. Anyone have any idea how I can know when a product's been updated?

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,309

You can look at the readme for the product, as it is often states when it was updated and what changed. However this is not always so, so is not a fool proof way of knowing. DIM naturally tells me when a product has changed, but that does not help someone that manually downloads and installs their products.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

There are some threads around where somebody was adding posts as products got updated.  I think there was both a public thread and one that was in the platinum club only forum.  I don't remember the titles and can't locate the links though.

While this won't help for notification of updates, if you have reason to believe an update might have been made and simply want to verify a one-off you can of course redownload the product and compare the new zip files to the old ones you saved to see if they are different or identical.

Also, if you reported the issue first, you might get an update to your report when a fix has been made or notification if it will not be made due to product age.  Once again this only helps for certain products.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 2016
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    sriesch said:

Oh gawd,what a nightmare. Maybe sometime if I have an extra month I'll look thru that o.O.

Wonder why Daz doesn't think it's important to notify of updates? Not everyone uses DIM. *sigh*

Thanks folks.

Laurie

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911
    edited December 2016

Sometimes there will be updates via DIM or Connect without any updates in the readme.  I've even seen an instance where the PA had no idea an update was made to their product and published.

Post edited by RobotHeadArt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    AllenArt said:
    sriesch said:

Oh gawd,what a nightmare. Maybe sometime if I have an extra month I'll look thru that o.O.

Wonder why Daz doesn't think it's important to notify of updates? Not everyone uses DIM. *sigh*

Thanks folks.

Laurie

Couldn't agree more!!! I don't use DIM either and have no desire to ever use it, but it would be nice to have another way to know if there is an update for a product, maybe a list somewhere to check and see if a product has been updated so we can d/l it again.

• You can use DIM to download without having to use it to install, and that will notify you of updates (though it will then be up to you to install them).

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

When DAZ released DAZ Connect it was said that DIM servers for some reason were overburdened and couldnt be fixed and would be retired and connect would be the only was to get content (other than manual and frankly that seemed a little iffy at the time).  Is that still the plan?  

The main reason that I install manually is because I use custom folders and locations for my content. If I do it manually, I can move stuff around to a correct folder before I drop that folder into my Daz Content folder. I'm weird about how my content is organized. It has to make sense to me and most default locations don't make sense to me :P.

Laurie

You can use DIM to download without having to use it to install, and that will notify you of updates (though it will then be up to you to install them).

Doesn't DIM only notify of updates if it's installed a product that has one? If I install manually, DIM has no idea what's installed.

Laurie

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    AllenArt said:

You can use DIM to download without having to use it to install, and that will notify you of updates (though it will then be up to you to install them).

Doesn't DIM only notify of updates if it's installed a product that has one? If I install manually, DIM has no idea what's installed.

Laurie

As long as you keep the downloads where DIM put them it will know if there is a newer version available.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

just launch DIM occasionally.  it'll present a list of available product updates after it touches base with daz central, and you can take it from there...the app doesn't begin any installation or update processes until you tell it to.

j

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    jardine said:

just launch DIM occasionally.  it'll present a list of available product updates after it touches base with daz central, and you can take it from there...the app doesn't begin any installation or update processes until you tell it to.

j

If you've never downloaded a product with DIM it has no baseline to compare to, and therefore no way of knowing if a product has updated.

I keep all my downloads on a 1 TB usb drive.

• I let DIM download everything. It also gets to install my Studio products the usual way. When installing Poser products I let DIM install to a temporary directory and then i move the contents to where I want them. (This is mainly because I want to keep all parts of a product together. I move all character and prop files to the same folder, and the material settings to a subfolder there.)

In this way I get notifications from DIM about updates to my Poser products as well.

• When DAZ released DAZ Connect it was said that DIM servers for some reason were overburdened and couldnt be fixed and would be retired and connect would be the only was to get content (other than manual and frankly that seemed a little iffy at the time).  Is that still the plan?  

That is not what was said - what was said was that DIM would continue to be supported, at least as long as there was a reasonable level of demand for it. It was said that using a distributed network to rpovide the downloads, with the main Daz server being used only to authoirise the product, should lead to improved speeds using Connect over DIM (for those whose bandwidth is not fully taken over by DIM downloads).