Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD II

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Another stupid thing, around $16.5 for a half liter of lager at restaurants around the country. :(

Jeeze, that is stupid indeed. How come there's no revolution yet?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

HOW much ? Ouch, I bet you don't have many drunks around.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

I know I wouldn't be drinking

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What the Hey? Do you eat for free if your drinking? Two drinks would buy a GOOD dinner around here.

I would really think of relocating to another country. OR open a resturant VERY soon.

edited December 1969

I'm still asking why there hasn't been an armed rebellion. ;)

11 pm, still hot hot hot hot hot. That's stupid, all right.

I also put a fresh bedsheet into the fridge, and I hope it has chilled there, so I can put it to bed...

edited December 1969

Open your own pub and charge half the price. You'd make a killing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...used to live in Stevens Point, Wisconsin where -25° to -35° during the winter was not unusual. Summers would get into the 90s with mosquitoes as big as fighter-bombers.

While it's not been as rainy as the past couple years, summer here has been somewhat elusive with temperatures once again below normal. It is the end of July (which is normally the hottest time of the summer here) and we still have yet to see a 90° day. Currently it is early afternoon and only 68° with a thick layer of marine clouds. This has been the pattern for a good part of the summer. The warmest it's been so far was 88° and that was back in mid May. Apparently the wind patterns have prevented the usual "Heat Lows" from developing and moving up out of Central California. Instead we have been dealing with Pacific lows which bring a strong onshore flow that produces the marine cloud cover, occasional drizzle, and even thundershowers.

Yeah, we still have August to go, but it looks very much like the last two years save for the drenching rains.

Meanwhile in the Midwest it has been brutal with temps in over 100° in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois and even Wisconsin. There is also a serious drought which has ruined a lot of crops. In Milwaukee WI, they have already experienced over two weeks of 90+° temperatures (exceeding 100° on three occasions). Madison's had about a month of 90+ weather already (with four days of 100° or better,) and even Stevens Point to the north, had ten days were it reached or exceeded 90°(with more in this week's forecast).

At least one of the benefits of a cool summer (besides keeping the bugs down) is that the light rail tram here doesn't have to operate at restricted speeds. When the temperature exceeds 90° the trains are held to a maximum of 30mph (rather than the normal 55mph on the I-84/Hwy 26 corridors) due to "sag" in the overhead catenary.

-----

One of the nice things about living in the city rather than the outskirts here in Portland is that Walmarts and Costcos are all out in the 'burbs. Maybe not 20 miles away but, still far enough (particularly considering weekend bus service) to easily be ignored. Where I live, it is predominantly local stores and markets save for the Fred Meyer (a regional chain in Washington State and Oregon) in the Hawthorne district. Even they tend to tailor their stores to the local neighbourhood. The one where I shop has a large fresh (not prepackaged) meat and fish counter, large produce section with organic veggies, Sushi bar, and a full service deli that offers a lot more than the usual deep fried fare that most other supers do.

The Hawthorne Neighbourhood Association is deeply committed to keeping the area's identity and character intact. They have successfully thwarted the plans of large national chains like MickyD's, Burger King,and Toxic H**l, to move into the area. There is a Starbucks, but they have a fairly low key presence and a lot of competition from several independently run coffee houses and cafes up and down the Ave.

edited July 2012

Skiriki said:
    Another stupid thing, around $16.5 for a half liter of lager at restaurants around the country. :(

Jeeze, that is stupid indeed. How come there's no revolution yet?
    ...yikes, that's about what I spent yesterday for several pints of fine handcrafted ale and a very relaxing evening at my favourite "hole in the wall pub" behind the old Bagdad cinema on Hawthorne.

The most I ever paid for a single beer was in Seattle at the Elephant and Castle this past April when I got an imperial pint of The Speckled Hen that cost me 8.50$ + tax. Lovely malt ale that you need to take your time with.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And that is why those on the other side of the border gets a lot of people from us coming in to buy. Ask any Swede about it, it's common knowledge. They even build a big mall for this purpose... Up in the North, they go to Finland to buy. 94% of cross-border shopping goes to Sweden, and last year it's estimated to be around 11.7 billion kroner ($1.9 billion).

Stupid.

1339529469000_Nordby_kj_pesenter_4364133978x1200r.jpg
    978 x 649 - 134K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I want some ice cream. maybe a bowl of ice cream
    And I want you to not be living in your car this coming Wednesday. I'll just tell myself you have done something to fix the problem and ignore all else.

It seems to work....

I am working on it. I have called my mum and my caseworker. Well left a message on my caseworker's voice mail. My mum is unable to help and she is worried.

Sorry I was was not clear. I already had the ice cream. I just had to put it in a bowl and eat it. The ice cream is in the freezer.

edited December 1969

I talked to my mum and she is unable to help. I talked to my father and he is unwilling to help. He probably could but he will not.

edited December 1969

...3:30 and the sun finally decided to make a showing. Meanwhile up in Seattle it's been sunny all day.

edited December 1969

I need to eat something.

edited December 1969

I just had pork and sauerkraut with mash potatoes.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

blah 8C around here is cold
    but this is Australia and we get 40C+ heatwaves in summer.
    the coldest it gets on Adelaide is prob about 3C
    have had the very rare year it hit -1C but that sort of thing makes headlines!
    but I hate it below 15C, 30C is my prefered temperature.

edited December 1969

Now I am hungry. Now to think of something not stupid to eat.

edited December 1969

Tried to sleep, failed because of a stupid moth that decided it wanted to invade my humble abode.

Also, it is so hot and humid, that the wallpapers in the bedroom are bulging in a worrisome "will they peel off or not" manner.

edited December 1969

is it stupid to want ice cream for something to eat after dinner? I have it in the freezer so I just have to serve it up and put some chocolate syrup on it.

edited December 1969

A desert after dinner is a darn good Idea. What's stupid is I don't think I have anything in the house, not even a cookie.

edited December 1969

I have some cookies and cream ice cream

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    A desert after dinner is a darn good Idea. What's stupid is I don't think I have anything in the house, not even a cookie.

Does your browser have cookies?

I wish I could bake you a cake or some cookies.

Tomorrow will be a big day. Hopefully I will solve some of my problems.

edited December 1969

BwaHahaha!!! I'm good folks, I can live wid out a cookie (the ones from the browser taste a little electrony) and iciey cream is a let me save that cheat for my brothers b'day on the second. Plenty of Cheats that day I'm sure.

I really popped in to point out we only got 2 plus pages to go before we push a new thread. And I'm so freaking happy the stupid thread has took of, even hidden way back here we find some stupid. I just hope the user that gets the Honor of naming the next one can think of a really Stupid title.

edited December 1969

...less than two pages til rollover.

...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

edited December 1969

Same stupid, different wrapper!

edited December 1969

my Android OS I believe is called icecream sandwich
    Honeycomb or Gingerbread or something is supposed to be better, unsure, think if I upgrade I need to reinstall everything.

edited December 1969

unravelled thread for random stupidity

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Hiw stupid is this? I just made another post and, for the first time ever, the smiley didn't work.

It'll be even more stupid if it does work this time. :gulp:

edited December 1969

Hey guess what...

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...less than two pages til rollover.

...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Let me be stupid in the stupid thread, I'm not Jethro. Numerating wern't never my strong point.
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Same stupid, different wrapper!
    Same stupid, different day.
This discussion has been closed.