Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD II

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962
    edited December 1969

I want a sonic vibrator, %-P for deep massage of my aching bones ofcourse ;-P

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

I grew up in the middle of nowhere - best times ever for a kid :)
    Then I worked in the middle of nowhere for a long time - it had its definite pluses but it was stupid having to drive for nearly 2 hours if you wanted to go see a movie. [Which some friends and I would do - stupid or not. lol]
    Now I live just a stone's throw from the beach - yes! - which means I can actually use buses to get around - very handy during tourist season.

And while we are safe from the threat of plummeting flying cars - for the moment - there's a motorcyclist who lives down the road from me who thinks he has a flying bike and does his best to get it airborne when riding around. Now that's stupid. ;-)

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Sure you do ;-P
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951
    edited December 1969

I want some ice cream. maybe a bowl of ice cream

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I want some ice cream. maybe a bowl of ice cream
    And I want you to not be living in your car this coming Wednesday. I'll just tell myself you have done something to fix the problem and ignore all else.

It seems to work....
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited July 2012

...the thought of a Buick with some alcohol incapacitated operator at the controls crashing through my roof is not very comforting.

Makes me want to invest in a Triple A emplacement,

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The new definition of "nowhere" in America: Any place more than 20 miles from a Walmart.
    I'm 45 miles from the nearest Wallyworld and 75 miles from the nearest movie theater.
    On the plus side I'm only 30 feet from a 2 million acre lake.:coolsmile:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

Ah, if that is a ctireria for defining nowhere, then my nowhere isn't really nowhere, because they guilt an Asda (UK arm of Walmart now) just over a mile away.

Dowlais Top Revisited.

What is there here at Dowlais Top to please a poet's eye?
    A bloody Asda Superstore between the hill and sky!
    An aluminium monster there, eight hundred feet on high!

Containing stalks and apple cores, there waits outside this shop
    Two hyndred metal trollies, chained and padlocked well to stop
    The kids who'd like to liberate them over Dowlais Top.

Instead of chewing grass the sheep can chew discarded cones,
    Crisp packet mingle, freely with the fast - decaying bones
    Of the old ram so unluckily run over by Dai Jones.

And as the boots are filled outside, for miles around you'll see
    Wind - blown plastic carrier bags, with shopping given free
    Escape across the car park and bedeck the only tree.

A large three - mouthed blue box awaits for paper, clothes and tins -
    Lip - service to recycling, it's where the Third World wins,
    But litter fills the car - park floor, cos no-one uses bins!

Though cloying, softer landscapes leave the heart to wander free,
    The only song that's sung up here is what to have for tea,
    It's hard to think that what's here now is the "beauty yet to be!".

On visiting Dowlais to discover a large ASDA store right on top of the hill, close to a lonely housing estate, well away from the main part of the town.

From a Poetry collection I found by Maureen Sallery
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

flashback said:
    The new definition of "nowhere" in America: Any place more than 20 miles from a Walmart.
    I'm 45 miles from the nearest Wallyworld and 75 miles from the nearest movie theater.
    On the plus side I'm only 30 feet from a 2 million acre lake.:coolsmile:
    I'm just outside the wallyworld range, so I'm still in nowhere. And mine is not a lake, I'm about 200 yrds from a very nice creek. Breem, Crapie, small mouth Bass all free for the taking. Now if I could get someone to take my feeble self fishing, this fall. It's to hot to go right now.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,762
    edited December 1969

Unless you can find some shade it's to hot around here to.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I am totally holed up in my apartment, under two fans, and sitting, 'cause that will minimize my contact with hot surfaces even if I just want to nap.

edited December 1969

I'm sitting in the nicely air conditioned house

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I'm sitting in the nicely air conditioned house
    Me too, it's 11:20am here and it's 87F in the shade on my front porch right now. I'm betting on high 90's by this afternoon. For me it's going to be one of those leave the house only if I really have to days.
    edited July 2012

TUrned cooler for us today, only 60f and 59% humidity, and some of those super clouds that you can see things in. At the moment I can see one that looks like a teddy bear looking over a hedge.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

It's only suppose to get up to 83 today. Mid to high 80s the rest of the week. Nice cause we been having 95-110. This has been a strange year. We hardly ever get 100+ temps.

edited December 1969

It just struck me how everyone looks at weather differently depending on what your used to. If I was at Frank's I'dd be wow really great weather and he would be going this is pretty darn hot to me. Now if I had chohole's weather I'dd find away to be on the creek fishing my little butt off, or out playing in the garden getting it ready for fall crops.

edited December 1969

It was scalding hot when we lived in Texas. I don't miss that hot.

edited December 1969

Hah, from my point of view y'all are getting roasted in a grill... and I'm just suffering from hot weather. And I can hear y'all asking, "What hot weather?"

Fie! I invite everyone to my place in late January and early February for some sharp cold weather! ;)

edited December 1969

Okay, I'll admit cold here is probably not what y'all would call cold. We average around 29F for normal cold with snaps that get around 13-11F and we call that REALLY cold.

edited December 1969

-22 F is not unknown in my neck of woods, with a chance of dropping as low as -40 F. In 2010-2011 we had a winter where, for a month, temperature did not budge much above -18 F and we had tons of snow every day.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    -22 F is not unknown in my neck of woods, with a chance of dropping as low as -40 F. In 2010-2011 we had a winter where, for a month, temperature did not budge much above -18 F and we had tons of snow every day.
    And that my dear is why I'll take the high 90's in the summer and not really care. It's normal to me I grew up here. -18F and feet of snow would have me living inside the oven with it set to broil. I'm bundled up like a eskimo when it gets into the thirties here. I like snow, but a few inches at a time with a nice clear up in the next day or so is all I want. We only get that every few years, snow is pretty rare down here.
    edited December 1969

-40 wow, that is way to cold for me. I really suffer in the winter cause of my back. Its bad enough here where the avg is about 25

edited December 1969

Brrr that does sound cold. I used to joke with my Friend from Quebec that winter there must be like living in a giant deep freeze cabinet.

ALthough winter's in Wales are colder than we used to get in SE ENgland, it is rarely much below 18f (-8c) and that's the coldest. It does get colder further up North, and on the higher mountains, but not all that much colder really.

edited December 1969

I just like it better when it is cold. :( Mostly because according to this one study conducted, I have all the signs of having the genes for cold tolerance, and reversely for heat intolerance (short limbs, short fingers are a good sign for that).

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Of course. :)

It's just 63.7°F (17.4°C), so I'm not complaining. We had rain pouring for hours yesterday.

A stupid thing I noticed on my way home, was several patrol-cars, ambulance and the a towing-truck. Somebody had wrapped the front end of their car around a tree in the middle separator of the road.

http://static.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2012/07/29/1343550954990_891.jpg

Other things... Somebody chases a moose with a tiny hose. (didn't use the shotgun)
    After done eating all fruits on the trees, the moose never returned.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10067072
    (click on the video to see, but you probably won't understand what is said)
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I just like it better when it is cold. :( Mostly because according to this one study conducted, I have all the signs of having the genes for cold tolerance, and reversely for heat intolerance (short limbs, short fingers are a good sign for that).
    Before my illness hit I could tolerate most weather types. Heat did not bother me as long as I stayed hydrated and the cold only really bothered me if we had a good wind to wick away my bodyheat. I have a high motabalisim so I could handle things better than most people as long as I was healthy. We have pictures of me playing in snow as a kid in a tee shirt.
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Really. I must be unusual then, as I have long fingers, I can span an octave on the piano (cna't play a piano, but I can span an octave) and my inside leg measurement is only 1" shorter than himself, despite me being only 5 foot tall. However I have typical celtic intolerance to hot weather.
    edited December 1969

I use to love the heat until I started taking a couple meds that make me heat and sun sensitive.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Really. I must be unusual then, as I have long fingers, I can span an octave on the piano (cna't play a piano, but I can span an octave) and my inside leg measurement is only 1" shorter than himself, despite me being only 5 foot tall. However I have typical celtic intolerance to hot weather.

Well it is not written to stone, but those features are often found in that kind of combination.

Bah. The sun is setting, and it is still scaldingly hot. The air is really moist -- every surface feels like it is going to stick on me.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Another stupid thing, around $16.5 for a half liter of lager at restaurants around the country. :(

This discussion has been closed.